Make_PE3 Program to Create Portable Windows 7 PE

wimb

I've never been able to successfully get the driver_fix.cmd to run automatically on boot, even making absolutely no changes to the build files. Is there anybody else having this problem?

A small change of startnet.cmd works for me :thumbup

In folder Make_PE3\PE3_mod\PE3_add\x86\Windows\System32

edit startnet.cmd and uncomment by removal of leading :: so that you have

start "Driver Fix PE3 - Wait ...." /wait "%SystemRoot%\System32\driver_fix.cmd"

For the final version this type of scenario will be desired:

Most drivers are installed by driver_fix.cmd at boot and important network services have started,

then Desktop appears and remaining drivers are installed in the background by pnp_fix.cmd

Finally you have 7 PE operating system with all drivers installed and network services are running.

cheers.gif

Edited by wimb

=

*** Update of Make_PE3 package to Create Portable Windows 7 PE ***

• Changed - Font Settings - registry in folder plugins
  • UnChanged - Program Version - latest version is now 2.9

User can customize or replace file PE3_mod\PE3_reg\x86\plugins\PE3-Font.reg

to get desired local Font Settings e.g. Cyrillic or Chinese Console Font

More Info thanks to nu852 and AZJIO for local Font settings - See

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11852&st=320

Requirements and Info - See post #1

Download - Make-PE3

cheers.gif

Edited by wimb

• 2 weeks later...

=

• Added - USB Modem support - Thanks to SEAKZ for his interesting contribution
    http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23931&st=188
    Removed [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE3-SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\SW] key causing install problem
  • Changed - Permission in SOFTWARE and SYSTEM registry - Full Access for Everyone
    Allows install of USB Modem and PPPoE and Audio drivers
    Adding PPPoE package is NOT needed anymore - Thanks to nu852 for testing
  • Changed - MMDevices registry key for Audio support - Thanks to JFX
    This solved problem of Speakers being NOT set as Default in some cases
  • Added - SetSpeaker.exe program which can set Speakers as Default - Thanks to JFX
  • Changed - Full Windows 7 SOFTWARE\Classes registry is used in all cases
  • Changed - Using always gsar for patching MiniNT into MiniNX in winlogon.exe for Theme Support
    AutoIt3 code might have caused in some cases bluescreen boot problem
    Thanks to ChinaDragon for FINAL testing and thanks to victorybunny for feedback about this problem
    http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23931&st=207
    http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24127&st=20
  • Changed - New routines were made for adding IME support + TableTextService
    Thanks to nu852 and ChinaDragon for testing and giving important info
    http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11852&st=360
  • Added - Windows Media Player Version registry settings are updated with Auto Fix using Windows 7 Source registry
    Thanks to carenot for giving working solution and thanks to Chinadragon for testing
    http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11852&st=320
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 3.0

IME Support Info

In case of 7pe_x86.iso made without using AIK, then before building PE

you have to add manually e.g. winpe-fontsupport-zh-tw.cab to IME_support\Font_support\x86 folder

In case of pe3_x86.iso the fontsupport pack is auto used directly from installed AIK for Windows 7

Requirements and Info - See post #1

Download - Make-PE3

cheers.gif

=

• Solved - error in Make_PE3.exe for IME support from DVD as source
    IME was copied to wrong folder 1 in Make_PE3\IME_support\x86\TC
    Thanks to victorybunny for feedback about this error
    http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24127&st=40
  • Added - Recycle Bin support in x86 versions - Thanks to nu852 for giving registry tweak
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 3.1

Download - Make-PE3

Extract Make_PE3.exe to NEW location when previously DVD was used for IME support

or remove folder 1 in Make_PE3\IME_support\x86\TC

cheers.gif

=

• Added - Audio support in BS Explorer version (setting = NO) - Size pe3_x86.iso is 245 MB
  • Added - Adobe Flash player plugin in all versions
    This enables YouTube and Google Streetview in browsers like QtWeb and Opera
  • Added - Theme thumbnail view is enabled - Thanks to carenot
    http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11852&st=409
  • Changed - Explorer = YES setting is used as Default - Optimum for size versus performance
  • Changed - Auto Install of Drivers and Start of Sevices by Auto start of driver_fix.cmd
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 3.2

Use of Adobe Flash Player plugin requires working Audio driver, which is assured by auto start of Driver Fix.

- Download - Make-PE3

- Download ATI Video Driver from http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/latest

Add your nt6 video driver folder to Make_PE3\PE3_mod\WIN7_drivers\x86

DriverPack Vista (x86) Graphics A - folder G_A\ATI\4 is used by me as Win 7 PE x86 video driver

For nvidia video driver read here especially post #353 of hemmes for Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11852&st=340

- Download VLC Media Player for PStart menu from

http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/vlc_portable

Run VLCPortable_1.1.4.paf.exe

Browse to your \Make_PE3\MULTI\PStart\Progs folder

Install in your \Make_PE3\MULTI\PStart\Progs\VLCPortable folder

Copy PStart folder and wallpaper.jpg as normal from Make_PE3\MULTI to root of HDD or USB boot drive.

fb08025f591f08831ece40c84db14aeded29317c0784c35c9fa6a68cf71c20652g.jpg

cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hai wimb,

Thanks for ur wonderful share.

I have created winpe3_x86.iso using make-pe3.exe and tested in USB drive. The OS was booted successfully. I have changed the network from dynamic to static in the OS and then I rebooted the OS. When the OS loads again, the changes I have done was not present. and only the original settings was present. I realized it was because, the OS loads from RAM so the settings are not saved in registry. I want to save the changes that made in the OS after reboot. Can you tell please how this can be achieved?

=

• Added - amd64 Media version with Windows Media Player, NetCenter, Wireless Connect, PPPoE
  • Added - x86 version has .NET Framework support as selectable option
  • Changed - Adobe Flash Player is selectable option
  • Changed - Media version instead of IE8 version and having Optimized filelist to reduce size
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 3.5

Thanks to nu852 for making .NET Framework plugin, now being replaced and build-in in Make_PE3

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11852&st=500

See posts #516 and #524

- Download - Make-PE3

It is required to extract Make_PE3.exe to the root of your drive, needed because of .NET Framework support

DriverPack Vista (x86) Graphics A - folder G_A\ATI\4 is used by me as Win 7 PE x86 video driver

For nvidia video driver read here especially post #353 of hemmes for Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS

Copy PStart folder and wallpaper.jpg as normal from Make_PE3\MULTI to root of HDD or USB boot drive.

cheers.gif

Hi, i have been following your progress for quite some time now, since nearly the beginning of your project. i have used your finished WIM files as the base for my own personal projects, making significant progress of my own, tho often redundant to your own.

only now i wish to add my knowledge and findings to yours so that many people can benefit.

attached you will see 6 files, the first being a screen shot detailing how i make my custom registry. next a few registry changes adding pre-populated run dialog items, one that hides the library (useless in winpe) and one that hides the homegroup (also useless in winpe) and finally a custom BCD file that i will address later.

now for some constructive criticizing ;)

your latest pe builds automatically install ALL drivers, this takes too much time and ram. the goal of win pe is to use it for diagnostics and repair. for the purpose of repair, driver installation is not necessary. for the purpose of diagnostics driver installation should be optional after loading (as it was before)

next, the automatic loading of themes takes more ram yet, and is semi dependent on driver installation, again not necessary for repair adding more time to each boot. this should also be optional after boot.

last, an increased ram drive to 256, is too big. this pushes the system requirements too high. i use a 76mb ram drive, decreasing the system requirements. although 128mb is a happy medium, (plenty of room for temporary installs, and Internet browsing while giving more ram to my programs (or a CHKDSK))

some of my findings in the registry, are that winpe ignores "ntuser.dat" in the user profile, and uses "DEFAULT" in the system32\config folder instead. (i have deleted ntuser.dat offline saving space). there is a way to save the registry in winpe and apply it permanently offline (this is probably the biggest find as it negates the need for your reg files and regsvr32 dll calls.. actually most all calls to anything)

i work on winpe after the wim image is applied to a virtual harddrive in windows 7 (you will need to mark the VHD (or real HDD) as active, add to it its own "bootmgr" file and "boot" folder (you can copy these from your 7CD/7PEcd/7install) but add my BCD file (get rid of the txt extension) unless you feel like makeing your own)

i can boot the drive for testing in microsoft virtual pc, or the computer itself can boot the VHD (use easybcd to set this up, and manually add the "winpe yes" switch to the VHD entry) next i install my software of choice (there is no ram drive since it booted from HDD, and thus no space limit) since it is not in ram, changes are saved (files, but NOT the registry) use a reg cleaner if you wish (i use ccleaner) export the two important registry files (in my screenshot) reboot and copy over the originals with winpe offline.

you can now capture a new WIM image from this, one that is customized, much faster and far more efficient.

my plans, tips, and ideas for the future are as follows:

i use lots of variables. i have attached my custom startnet.bat that finds the offline windows installation (ex. c:\windows) and sets it to the variable "target_root" i did this for erd commander (peshell.exe does the same, but it resets my variable and his is hardcoded to drive C)

i work on computers for a living, and i need a way to quickly tell computers apart, i plan to us bginfo.exe in conjunction with my above variable to display the name of the computer, or the users on it in winpe.

i use eject.exe to automatically eject the disk when winpe is loaded, this prevents me from leaving the disc in, and also forces the less talented to realize winpe is in ram, and that the disc is not needed after boot (i may switch eject to shutdown)

i want to move, the driverstore in 7pe, to CD/DVD and NOT in wim file. i am working on junction points as i cant find a location in the registry, but apparently they use device or volume IDs so i cant create and use a variable.

i am also adding filetype icons for as many filetypes as i can find. (ex. word files have a W, i am achieving this without word installed)

add a very short delay to the boot menu, to make it easier to get to memtest.exe (bastard ram sticks), might replace memtest.exe with memtest+

with the new addition of the dot net framework, i want to move it to CD DVD to decrease size (may give up, computers have lots of ram)

other observations:

you cant move, delete, or defrag an open file or program. windows itself is a collection of files and programs, if it is offline, you can achieve COMPLETE defragmentation. you are also the SYSTEM account with all the powers that come with it, so there are no NTFS restrictions. (vista 7 bug some files wont delete from system volume information they are usually 1-6 gig files too :(.. ) also in vista and 7, there is a bug where some files do not have permission for the system account, and thus cant be defraged (i cant give an example)

usmt (UserStateMigrationUtility) from microsoft has its uses in win pe with its offline switch

delete devices from devmgmt.msc specifically network cards before capturing a wim file (interferes with PEnetwork when looking for network cards)

i would also like to point out, that only free software, COMPLETELY FREE including free for corp. business use. should be used. ( we seem to be on track so far )

and THNKYOU FANTASTIC WORK!!!!!!

post-311707-0-18751500-1291922449_thumb.

RunMRU.reg

hidelibrary.reg

hidehomegroup.reg

BCD.txt

startnet.cmd

there is a way to save the registry in winpe and apply it permanently offline (this is probably the biggest find ....

Thanks for your interesting work with feedback info.

Saving the SOFTWARE and DEFAULT registry hives can be used to Update the boot.wim file

In this way we can keep the changes related to Install of Programs and change of User Settings.

It would be interesting if we also can keep the changes due to install of device drivers,

but I think that saving SYSTEM registry hive does not work for this purpose.

What do you think about it ?

In future we will have program WIM_Update.exe to update the 7 PE ISO Boot Image.

It will be something like my existing IMX_XP_Update.exe

The auto install of device drivers can be easily switched off in startnet.cmd by placing leading :: in the rule with driver_fix.cmd

In the next version I will make changes such that the smallest version BS won't have auto install of drivers.

That will be the quick booting PE version for PC Repair purposes.

The Explorer version will then have auto install of Network, Audio and Video driver, handy for general purpose.

The Media version will have auto install of all Hardware drivers required for having DVD support.

=

• Added - Fonts with Fontviewer and Autoplay function of Control Panel are working
  • Changed - Auto Install of drivers depends on version - No for BS version - All for Media version
  • Changed - User Pinned Start Menu registry moved from PE3_CUSTOM.reg to PE3-USER.reg
    In this way it will not overrule user defined registry in plugins folder
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 3.6

BS = Booting in 30 sec and No auto install of drivers, but user can decide to start Services with Driver Fix

EXP = Booting in 1.5 min including Install of most important drivers (Network + Audio + Video)

Media = Booting in 1.5 min followed by 3 min for Install of All Hardware, required for DVD menu support

The BS Explorer version is booting fast and is meant for PC repair purpose (Device and Disk Management available)

The Explorer version has Internet Explorer 8 and Themes and is meant for general purpose

The Media version has Windows Media Player and DirectX and is meant for MultiMedia purpose

- Download - Make-PE3

It is required to extract Make_PE3.exe to the root of your drive, needed because of .NET Framework support

NEW: There is now Make_PE3_drivers_ATI.exe plugin package available for download

cheers.gif

i know it is easy to disable auto driver installation (for me) i was thinking more for everybody else. also some things i forgot to say were that i use peshell to simultaneously call everything that the batch files had originally called before.

for drivers, doubledriver is an excellent tool for backing up and restoreing drivers (also useful for saving the drivers of an offline system, useful for repair)

some of the other tools i use are "vhd attach" and many things from sysinternals and nirsoft. i also enable compression on my pe drive.

i would also like to point out that after the windows logo goes away, i see the desktop and can work less than 1 second afterwards, and my minimum requirements are 400 mb of ram.

i also have the drivers installed for the batteries (when i use a laptop) so i can see the power status (otherwise the laptop will die with no warning when the battery is depleted) i am trying to get the istat gadget working since gadgets now work.

i am also experimenting with other shells: Aston, SHARPenviro, cairo

the SYSTEM registry file can be used if you delete quite a few entires and only keep what you want. to get an idea of what you want to delete and keep, you can take two copies of the SYSTEM hive (one completely unmodified, never booted, taken directly from the WIM image) and compare it to the one exported from a booted winpe with drivers installed.

the best way to go about adding/removing changes is to export a small branch of the (live) SYSTEM hive as a reg file, and apply it offline (making sure to adjust location to match the destination hive)

or you can do this (easier, but hard to explain):

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2879/noticex.png (live VS. not)

when you load a hive and give it a name, the name does not matter. we can export another live SYSTEM and load it too (so we now have two, but we can name the 2nd one:)) for a total of two.

export what you want as a reg file.

unload the hive.

load the OFFLINE hive (give it the same name as you gave the 2nd LIVE hive)

import the reg file

unload the offline hive (this saves changes)

copy new offline hive over original, and test.

add a little more each time untill it bluescreens

i know it can be done because i did it before, with ac97 sound drivers by accident

i dont know the side effects of having all the drivers for everything, every piece of hardware installed at the same time.

@TimFred007

Thanks for all info.

It will require quite some testing before we know how add registry for all installed drivers to the original SYSTEM hive.

I don't know if it will be really possible to boot the PE with all drivers allready installed, but anyway thanks for the tips.

• 2 weeks later...

=

• Added - MIN version with Minimal Size = 160 MB but still having Support for Network + Device and Disk Management
  • Added - choice is offering to skip Driver Fix and Start of Services on demand - Thanks to SEAKZ
  • Added - dpinst for Install of DriverPacks - auto from folder drv\x86 in root of any drive
  • Added - pecmd launched by pnp_fix.cmd for auto Install of drivers from Windows 7 Host DriverStore
    or from PE-Tools folder of xuantian in root of any drive
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 3.7

The MIN and BS Explorer version are booting fast and meant for PC repair purpose (Device and Disk Management available)

The Explorer version has Internet Explorer 8 and Themes and is meant for general purpose

The Media version has Windows Media Player and DirectX and is meant for MultiMedia purpose

- Download - Make-PE3

Copy PStart folder and wallpaper.jpg and drv folder with drivers as normal from Make_PE3\MULTI to root of HDD or USB boot drive.

cheers.gif

Edited by wimb

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to test out your tool later today (which was about time). Now what is the current state of dotnet support? And what about bluetooth?

Joakim

Edited by joakim