Make_PE3 Program to Create Portable Windows 7 PE

wimb

I was hoping to test out your tool later today (which was about time). Now what is the current state of dotnet support? And what about bluetooth?

Happy New Year !

The 32-bits version has dotnet 2.0 support for only 15 MB extra size of the ISO Boot Image !

The external folder TestNF20 contains also some handy programs to test if .NET Framework is working in 7 PE environment.

I have no experience with bluetooth and probably that will not work yet in my 7 PE

On the other hand it will be possible to add it, since xuantian ISO is having bluetooth support already.

Congratulations with a great builder. Built my first samples and I'm really impressed. Though only on 1 testbuild, but anyways good.

May I suggest something to reduce size further: Remove all log and transaction files (.log* .blf .regtrans-ms) inside the config folder where the registry hives are located. We don't need them and can safely be deleted. In my case I save14,5 MB uncompressed. Then unless you really want the animation, delete bootres.dll (over 2 MB). However, on the other hand, if you want to keep the boot animation, why not improve it. Make your own special one...

Will do more tests, but really looking good!

Joakim

@joakim

Thanks for testing.

In the next version the cleanup of config folder is built-in.

It would be nice if in someway we can keep and use the registry with installed drivers as in normal Windows 7 is the case.

I don't know if it is possible to unlock 7 PE for this purpose. May be not.

Unfortunately the registry in 7 PE is volatile. Otherwise it would be possible to have learning process like in full XP ....

=

*** Update of Make_PE3 package to Create Portable Windows 7 PE ***

• Added - support for plugin reg keys with leading - sign
  • Added - Install Drivers from Win7 Host via Desktop Icon or Hardware Menu
  • Added - cleanup of System32\config folder by removal of unneeded files *.regtrans-ms and *.TM.blf and *.LOG*
  • Added - some extra files - INETRES.dll for IE8 support of .mht files
  • Added - in startnet.cmd apply metrics and font settings with regsvr32 /s /n /i:/UserInstall themeui.dll
  • Fixed - removed Escape as Hotkey giving unwanted pause in running Make_PE3.exe
  • Fixed - registry file PE3-SOFTWARE_MAXNET.reg - SOFTWARE and removal of x86 Wow6432Node keys
  • Changed - using dpinst /q switch for quiet install of drivers instead of <quietInstall/> in dpinst.xml
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 3.8

Thanks to JFX, SEAKZ, joakim, Aye Htay and VV2006 for helpful support regarding above changes

Download - Make-PE3

It is required to extract Make_PE3.exe to the root of your drive

More Info - See post #1

cheers.gif

Edited by wimb

Btw, is possible to save the customizations (icons(_size), wallpaper) and load them on next boot again?

In folder Make_PE3\PE3_mod\PE3_reg\x86\plugins you find file PE3-SmallIcons_reg.txt

When you change the extension to have file PE3-SmallIcons.reg then small icons will be generated.

Portable 7 PE will search in root of any drive for wallpaper.jpg and PStart folder with portable programs and drv folder with external drivers

Copy PStart folder and wallpaper.jpg and drv folder with drivers as normal from Make_PE3\MULTI to root of HDD or USB boot drive.

ok. Can you make a help which explains this a bit more?

It is as simple as described above. Just have a try.

; Small Icons for Desktop and User Pinned StartMenu shorcuts - Thanks to JFX

; If desired then change filename to \PE3-SmallIcons.reg

In folder Make_PE3\Help_Info you find file Customize_Info.txt for more help

Edited by wimb

Unfortunately the registry in 7 PE is volatile. Otherwise it would be possible to have learning process like in full XP ....

I believe I found some interesting code inside the kernel to possibly activate non-volatile hives in WinPE. To late now, but will try some modfications when time allows.

Joakim

@ joakim

http://winpe2.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

if this is what you are talking about, i have already tried and it dont work.

and bluetooth has been available for quite some time now, if you have the drivers that is. i am trying to get the microsoft stack working (i discovered that by microsoft they mean CSR. CSR IS the microsoft stack) the CSR stack is free but i cant find a download for it or the "microsoft" stack. CSR calls it the "harmony" stack btw. oh, and i am using BlueSoleil.

@whoever

i am working on PXE network booting winPE, i am useing tftp32 (free).

you will need pxeboot.n12 and bootmgr.exe and the boot folder from your CD.

pxeboot.n12

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4fh05f/n/pxeboot.n12

http://www.filesavr.com/XQJ2BR5A1W6X3KW

bootmgr.exe

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4fh098/n/bootmgr.exe

http://www.filesavr.com/7RG3BW6KEN3CX7M

i am very close, but stuck. it is very strait forward

@ joakim

http://winpe2.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

if this is what you are talking about, i have already tried and it dont work.

Well that was the first thing I tried, but realized it did not work, and got bsod with PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED. I'm more positive to patching the kernel to not load hives as volatile, but am still failing. Have tried like 5-6 different places now. Winpeshl.exe has nothing to do with it. I replace it with cmd.exe as specified in the registry key CmdLine. Modifying the MiniNT string in the kernel does not help either, and neither does the removal the 2 WinPE keys, or even preventing the kernel from writing the MiniNT key under Control key (if you string replace MiniNT, it will still write the new name instead of MiniNT. I suspect the right way is to force write a 0/1 into the al/bl register at some place. Thereby fooling the kernel to think non-PE -> non-volatile hives. Just need ti figure out exactly where.. Btw, are we sure that the log files are in fact properly flushed (merged to hive) when shutting down with wpeutil.exe/shutdown.exe? Could also mention that changing the string Control\MiniNT to Control in wpeutil.dll will let you run all the PE utilities /winpeshl, wpeutil, wpeinit) with winpe=off.

Joakim

@joakim

Interesting, I hope you find some ways to further unlock 7 PE ....

The auto install of drivers is also locked in 7 PE.

When I simply use Action > Scan for hardware changes - button in Device Manager, then auto install of drivers is activated.

Then after about 3 minutes most drivers are installed (except e.g. missing video driver)

But how to make this happen without user interaction ....

I could not find registry settings which would unlock and could enable auto install of drivers.

Now I am using PnPutil.exe -i -a X:\Windows\inf\*.inf in driver_fix.cmd and pnp_fix.cmd to do the same.

But I think it should be possible to unlock 7 PE somehow ....

Edited by wimb

=

*** Update of Make_PE3 package to Create Portable Windows 7 PE ***

• Added - Install of Drivers from autosearch of Win7 Host DriverStore
  • Added - Install of Drivers from user selected DriverPacks folder
  • Added - Fix_7hdc of cdob to enable or to install MassStorage driver to offline Windows 7
    Thanks to cdob for making Fix_7hdc - http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24245
  • Fixed - using 32-bits Dism from Win7 SysWow64 folder in case of 64-bits Win7 Source and XP x86 OS
  • Fixed - using XP Bootfiles from x86 XP OS for Install of 7 PE ISO Boot Image on bootable USB-drive
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 3.9

After Driver Fix and Start of Services by driver_fix.cmd

then one can fast install any missing driver in two ways using Desktop Icon and Hardware Menu:

- Drivers from Win7 Host DS - is autosearch for Windows 7 DriverStore and let pecmd.exe Install the drivers

- DriverPacks from Folder - user can select DriverPacks folder and drivers are installed by dpinst.exe

Download - Make-PE3

It is required to extract Make_PE3.exe to the root of your drive

More Info - See post #1

cheers.gif

I have been trying to figure out how to get around the issue I'm having with extracting. I get the following message below when logged in as an administrator and running the EXE to extract the files as an administrator.

BSExplorer_Extraction.jpg

I have tried taking ownership of the EXE and then re-trying to extract but end up with the same message. I am running Windows 7 Enterprise x64. Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Echo_Platoon