HFSLIP>>>NLITE>>>WinSetupFromUSB with GUI proc

U149113

I have been using HFSLIP to integrate hot fixes and other tools in coordination with Nlite to lighten XP, install some T-13 apps and install device drivers. That has been going well for almost 3 years without any real issues. So now I am looking to use WinSetupFromUSB with GUI to get all of that on a bootable USB stick. Have read through the main thread and was not able to find the answer not was I able to locate anything in the HFSLIP thread that would address the following:

Will I be able to take my HFSLIP/Nlite XP install and place it on USB using WinSetupFromUSB and make it seamlessly work or will I have to mod any of the .inf or .sif files for the application to work?

It all depends if the install script for the applications being added use hardcoded paths. These paths may need to be modified.

I personally do not use HFSlip and cannot comment further.

It all depends if the install script for the applications being added use hardcoded paths. These paths may need to be modified.

I personally do not use HFSlip and cannot comment further.

Thanks. What script(s) (paths) should I be checking to validate this?

If I may you are taking an overcautious approach.

Since you are going to try a USB stick or hd approach you don't even have the risk of making a coaster.

Get WinSetuFromUSB and try running it, it is very possible it will work (as it is as well possible you will nedd to change any and all .inf/.sif :ph34r:), but you'll never know until you try it.

Just do it! ;)

jaclaz

If I may you are taking an overcautious approach.

Since you are going to try a USB stick or hd approach you don't even have the risk of making a coaster.

Get WinSetuFromUSB and try running it, it is very possible it will work (as it is as well possible you will nedd to change any and all .inf/.sif :ph34r:), but you'll never know until you try it.

Just do it! ;)

jaclaz

Good advice and I did just that over the last two days. Actually took the post over to HFSLIP forum since that seems like a better place to get the questions answered. The net of my experiments thus far seems to be that I am getting "File Not Found errors" in the initial process. Its 36 files right now. You can hit ESC through all of them but upon reboot to the GUI install portion I am getting c000021a (0xc000026c 0x00000000) errors so at this point it's unworkable. So now I need to work backwards to find why I am getting errors on 36 files. The reason for the post here was to save time and utilize what others may have already discovered about combining the two apps to make a USB boot install of XP. Looks like the errors I am seeing are common and right now there does not seem to be an easy fix to bridging the two apps.

I like HFSLIP because you build the update process manually. You get an understanding of exactly what is going into that hotfix build because there is a clear folder structure. Most importantly, you don’t need anyone else to maintain that project. With mim0's patch list being updated continually you have a great sense of version control. With the "all in one XP hotfix projects" you don't have that and you are relying on others to maintain those throughout their life cycle. So when someone moves on to other things and stops maintaining that project you have to find someone else that is doing something similar. And you lose consistency because you put yourself at the mercy of whatever else that person decides to place in the package.

The net of my experiments thus far seems to be that I am getting "File Not Found errors" in the initial process. Its 36 files right now. You can hit ESC through all of them but upon reboot to the GUI install portion I am getting c000021a (0xc000026c 0x00000000) errors so at this point it's unworkable. So now I need to work backwards to find why I am getting errors on 36 files.

36 files seems to me more like a success (almost ;)) than a failure.

If you are lucky it's a matter of a couple small changes.

Posting the list of the 36 files that create the problem might help.

As well as a link to the thread on HFSLIP Forum where you are trying to find a solution.

jaclaz

Zip and attach txtsetup.sif too, with a few names of the missing files.

So here is my process... I am using Dell's base XP (SP0). I integrate all the patches and utilities from mim0's list here (http://freenet-homepage.de/MisterMoster/hfslip.htm). I run hfslipfc against that before compiling to verify that I have the most recent updates. I then run HFSLIP. I take that compiled SP3 build with all the updates and bring it over to Nlite to integrate drivers, cut out unnecessary components and the following T-13 packages:

Kels_CPLBonus_v10.6_addon.rar

Kels_Runtimes_addon_v6.rar

T13XPDNF11SP120SP230SP235SP1.7z (This is a self compiled .NET/Runtime Libraries package created with SNMsynth http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=127790)

WGA_Validation_AddOn_1.9.40.0-2_-_redxii.7z

I then use the output from that for my WinSetupFromUSB.

A few notes… HFSLIP has the ability to tweak the path variables in HFSLIP.CMD from the default values to:

FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\WINSETUP\XPpSP3I386\SVCPACK (

SET HFSLIP=%%i:\WINSETUP\XPpSP3I386\

SET HFSLIPSVC=%%i:\WINSETUP\XPpSP3I386\SVCPACK\

It is documented in a few posts. But this does not fix the file copy issues. FWIW, if I just take the output of everything up to the part where Nlite has finished and produces an ISO and burn that to CD everything works w/o issue. It's only when I try to combine the three apps that I run into issues.

Attached my txtsetup.sif and a full list of the missing files.

Missing.rar

TXTSETUP.rar

At what stage do you get these errors? Text mode?

Checked for few of them in txtsetup.sif, none was mentioned, so I guess they are copied during GUI part, right? Where are they mentioned?

I see a typo, missing backslash:

WINSETUP\XPpSP3I386\SVCPACK

WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\SVCPACK

Can you attach the whole HFSLIP.CMD if it does the job?

At what stage do you get these errors? Text mode?

Checked for few of them in txtsetup.sif, none was mentioned, so I guess they are copied during GUI part, right? Where are they mentioned?

I see a typo, missing backslash:

WINSETUP\XPpSP3I386\SVCPACK

WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\SVCPACK

Can you attach the whole HFSLIP.CMD if it does the job?

Good catch on the paths. I am going to mod those entries and retry. That was done automatically in HFSLIP and I did not see the error.

All of the file copied errors are happening in text mode. After text mode and the errors I get a BSOD (see earlier post). Never gets to GUI.

UPDATE: I changed the paths to match what they should be (WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\SVCPACK) but this made no difference. Same files not found.

HFSLIP.CMD

Edited by U149113