Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vince4Amy

A Review of Windows 9x Including some MSFN Projects

15 posts in this topic

First, The forum has changed a lot since I last signed in in September 2008, this is awesome :)

Anyway a few months ago I made a couple of videos featuring Windows 98SE and how it can actually still be quite useful in 2009. I made the videos last year but have just finished writing an article.

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Article

http://techsnap.co.uk/reviews/windows-98se-in-2009/

The article includes links to the projects here which I used in the videos.

It's actually quite amazing what can be used on it with sufficient tweaking. It's not something that I would ever recommend being used by anyone other than people who know what they're doing though.

In that way Gape, Xeno and Tihiy (most precisely their work) were immortalized. :)

Btw, you've made some nice videos.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

I think it also shows nicely the effect of planned obsolence.

I agree to an extent however I do think that Windows NT based OS's are superior to Windows 9x, but in any case, like I said in one of the videos the older applications which do work should just put a message on the installer which says "This Program may not run on your OS, by continuing you accept that we cannot support you with your choice of OS".

In that way Gape, Xeno and Tihiy (most precisely their work) were immortalized. :)

Btw, you've made some nice videos.

You definitely can't forget about MDGx, erpdude8, dencorso with his downgrade patch technique

and everybody else in the Win98SE forums. Thanks to all!

Thanks Vince. I added a link to this post on my website.

NT OSes are technicaly superior to W98, that's undisputable fact. However w98 beats anything else in term of concept for a single user/home PC.

What we (happy w9x users) are interrested in is the concept of simplicity (installation and fixes nothwithstanding LOL), control over system files, flexibility and of no-garbage OS.

Technicaly it's increasingly a headache to get the drivers and software compatibility, but at the end of the day, it's such a pleasure to use.

You are right that's sort of a hobby (thought a useful one, e.g. gain in productivity) because it would be much easier to crank up whatever version since XP. And we all run w98 on XP-capable computers.

And we all run w98 on XP-capable computers.

And an increasing number of us multiboot 9x, XP and, perhaps, linux! :yes:

I used Linux (Slackware mainly) for years until Vista was released because believe it or not, Vista did exactly what I wanted out of an OS. It's always best to use what OS works for you and if 9x is that then so be it :)

Just watched the videos and read the text review. Way to go, Vince! You rock! :thumbup

RP9 setup opened google? :o

Installing those updates are tiresome.

Thanks again.

RP9 setup opened google?

Yes, I guess it's not designed to do that?

Vince ... just watched your videos ... very nice presentation, wish I would have had these when I first got into computers and Windows 98SE. ... thanks for the great effort !