Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

CDBOOT: unable to boot from cd : code 4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

dave122386

dave122386
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04
hey,
im havin trouble installing win XP Pro on an old :
166mmx
64mb ram
16mb banshee
cdrom
win 95 - current OS
etc...

the windows cd is an original from dell, but everytime i try to boot from the cd it gives me the error:

"CDBOOT: unable to boot from cd : code 4"

which is confusing since the cd is bootable and the cdrom is set to boot first in bios.
any help much apriciated
D@V£

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
first thing to check : does the same CD boot properly in a different machine?
Next thing - don't bother installing XP on that dinosaur, it will make you cry watching it crawl (not run).
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

dave122386

dave122386
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04
yeah,
i suspected it wouldnt run but i only have win 95 and xp and i cant get the network to work properly it just refuses to recognise any other machines, i have a win 98 cd but its a copy and its not bootable so im kina stuck between a rock and a hard place, grrr!
ne ideas?
cheers
D@V£

likuidkewl

likuidkewl

[Centos~]$

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Joined 16-September 03
The error code has something to do witht the type of emulation the CD is trying to use. The best solution to this problem is to copy your entire cd to a hard drive, use cdimage to make an .iso( go to the unnattended guide get the toolset from MSFN, it is on the finalize page), then use Nero or the like to reburn it. And try again it seems to be the boot.img files sometimes don't like the CD drive. I personally have had to do this a few times. Hope this helps.
BLOG...

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
get a win98se boot-disk creator here-
http://www.shaneo.co...s/wboot98se.exe
Its 844 KB, run it and insert a floppy in your A:

http://www.bootdisk.com/ has lots of different kinds of boot-disks available.

Or else, google for the term "windows 98 bootable floppy image" and you should get hundreds of results.

If you have a CD-writer, you might like to make a bootable CD in nero with the contents of your win98 CD and the boot-sector from the floppy-disk you should be making now.
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

dave122386

dave122386
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30-January 04
cheers, ill try these solution 2nite, if they dont work i imagen ill b back 2morow,
thanx again
D@V£

pjbusby

pjbusby
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-February 04
I'm having the same error.

I have a Dell Dimension m200 (200 mhz p2). I haven't looked under the hood yet to find any specs, but it's an old '97 machine. Its been sitting in my room for a while because i scrapped it (and another dimension 266) for their hard drives. I recently picked up an old 10 gig, and put it in the m200.

I'm trying to install 2000 advanced server on it (digging my own grave), so maybe this has something to do with 2000/XP/NT?

I the cd that i'm trying to install from last night. It boots fine on two other Compaqs i have here. On this one machine, though, it returns that error, "CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 4".

I thought the error might have something to do with the bios, and maybe a dell bios update/upgrade would fix it, but i'm having floppy drive problems on these two compaqs. They're basically identical machiens, so i suppose i should find another machine, but every floppy i try and format has a bad sector 0, and won't format.

pjbusby

pjbusby
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-February 04
i was successful in formatting the floppy on an IDE imation superdrive. i have got a bios update, and next time i'm at home, i'll upgrade the bios, and let you know if this fixes the problem.

Obiedude

Obiedude
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 08-April 04
As to the issue that prompted you to upgrade.

windows 9x does not recognise XP as an OS greater than itself so durring the browsemaster elections it commandeers the role.

simply disable browsemaster on the 95 machine and you should be able to connect just fine.

SEE: 188001 Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
http://support.micro....com/?id=188001

Hope this helped,

Obie :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users