Is there a "proper" IE8 slipstream for 32 bit XP?

Vic

I've been using nLite for the last few months and great as it is, it seems there's no "proper" IE8 slipstream upgrade for XP (32 bit). By proper, I mean one that is error free, doesn't have have the Web Folders bug, doesn't require additional registry "fixes", doesn't kill Windows Update, replaces existing IE6/7 files and doesn't come bundled with 101 hotfixes.

There really doesn't appear to be a single IE8 addon I've found that just "works" and I've tried all of the following:

Yumeyao's IE8 for XP

• Need to copy files back and forth for nLite install
  • Includes hotfixes so not a clean install
  • Requires additional addon to remove setup errors

OnePiece's IE8 For XP

• Requires additional addon to remove setup errors
  • Comes with all the hotfixes and updates so no clean install

5eraph's IE 8

• Doesn't appear to be an XP 32 bit version of this

WinAddons.com IE 8

• This just slaps IE8 on as an upgrade during XP installation
  • Shows in Control Panel
  • No slipstream and doesn't replace files

Sereby's IE8 Slipstream addon

• Comes with all the hotfixes and updates so no clean install
  • Shows in Control panel for uninstallation
  • Listed as "Sereby's Internet Explorer" instead of just plain old "Internet Explorer"

This is by no means a rant or anything and respect to all you guys who go out of their way to make these wonderful addons. I totally understand MS screwed over XP owners by not making IE8 a proper slipstream. I tried making my own using OnePiece's Addon creator but get all of the errors above.

Was just curious as to what the other options are (if any)? Otherwise, it's back to the clean IE7 slipstream for me that simply works by just adding the exe to the hotfixes section of nlite :(

Sp0iLedBrAt, that tool creates an addon nearly identical to OnePiece's IE8 addon since the tool is also OnePiece's. But I suppose that one could choose not to include any updates, thereby fulfilling Vic's "no hotfix" rule. Setup errors may still be present—I have not used the tool myself to know for certain.

Besides, Vic has already tried it.

I tried making my own using OnePiece's Addon creator but get all of the errors above.

I deal primarily with XPx64, so I don't plan on creating a 32-bit IE8 addon of my own. Sorry, Vic.

Edited by 5eraph

Vic may be referring to the Quick Launch issue, -X-.

I have modified YumeYao's NoSetupErr addon to suit your needs, Vic. However, I don't have YumeYao's permission to release his modified addon publicly. I have sent you a PM with a link to the file for your personal use only.

For the benefit of others with the ability to infer and make the changes, here are the details of the modifications made.

1. YumeYao's nLite compatibility modification has been included. The addon is now specific to Windows XP x86 ENU.
  2. All updates have been removed.
    • All updated files have been reverted to the original files from Microsoft's IE8 installer for Windows XP.
    • YumeYao's modified IE.inf file has been altered to remove registry changes related to the updated files.
    • Security catalog files related to the update packages have been removed.

[*]Modifications were made that allow a source updated with this addon to be properly updated by nLite with Microsoft's updates.

• In YumeYao's original addon, MSFeedsBS.dll was renamed MSFeedBS.dll to allow the source to be used for installations initiated with WinNT.exe and WinNT32.exe. This breaks nLite's ability to properly update the file with cumulative update packages that include the file. I have reverted the file name so it can be updated by nLite, but the source can now only be used to install Windows by booting from it.
  • The following updates have been tested as working with this addon, but are not included:
    KB976662 (download page)
    KB980182 (download page)
    KB980302 (download page)
    KB981303 (request page)
    KB981332 (download page)

Edited by 5eraph

@-X-

The Web folders bug is where the icon is missing for offline content.

@Sp0iLedBrAt

Many thanks for the welcome and the link, that was a Greek version so I'll give it a miss but thanks for replying.

@5eraph

Many thanks for taking the time to create another package, I do appreciate it and will give it a whirl over this weekend and report back here :thumbup

Just to clarify, the principles I explained in several posts in that topic apply regardless of the language you choose; that's just for localizing. If you play around with it for a little while, you'll see it can do many things. I hereby take the opportunity to thank the developers for the excellent tool.

• 1 month later...

Quick update as I've been playing with this for the last month. I couldn't get 5eraph's cab working as it either kept showing in Add/Remove Apps or led to a buggy IE8 install that kept crashing. Tried tweaking the cab to no avail so I've reverted back to just integrating IE7 with all my drivers and this works fine with nLite.

@fdv, thanks for the link, I've not yet been able to get to hfslip.org as the web site always seems to be down when I try :blink: