Need Help. USB HDD Failed

jiewmeng

i tried to access my USB HDD today and at first, i noticed that the time taken for windows to detect the drive was abit longer than usual. when it finally booted, i was not able to access some folders. some where still ok

Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

then i tried "safely remove hardware" then connect it again, this time partition is RAW and needs to be formatted. what might have happened? can i recover my data. i noticed also that when i tried to restart, my laptop can boot into windows with it connected, usually it can, if that matters

Sounds like EITHER:

1. connections (internal from converter to HD inside the external case) have become loose <- this is more common than you may think with SATA connectors :ph34r:
  2. the USB/IDE or USB/SATA converter is going bad
  3. the hard disk is going bad
  4. the filesystem(s) on the hard disk got corrupted

Suggested course of action:

1. try reseating connectors
  2. try connecting the hard disk DIRECTLY (bypassing the USB converter inside the external case)
  3. once you have done the above #2, check the hard disk with it's manufacturer's utilities
  4. once you have done the above #3, try using TESTDISK to recover partitions/filesystems

jaclaz

ok, so i connected the hdd to my computer directly, and that computer stopped at starting windows just like how it stopped when i plugged it into my laptop via USB.

i used seatools for windows most basic tests are unavailable and failed the only ones that ran are short/long generic. long generic gave me increasing amt of errors and failed. the hdd is a seagate 3.5" 7200.11 SATA2 HDD i see its a common HDD used in this forum? might i be having one of the problems discussed? i noticed although its a seagate HDD but put in a USB case, seatools failed to recognise the HDD as a seagate one? is this normal?

and if i were to want to try to recover using testdisk hmm how do it? anyway, i am using TestDisk now to analyse partition table of something like that. i just next all that way mostly. so far i am getting

analyse cylinder 261/60800:00%

read error at xxx/xxx/xx (lbaxxxxx) - where x are numbers

is there anyway then my hdd can be recovered? or maybe i just do away with it and just format if i know thats definately not possible. and maybe i would not be recommended to use this HDD again?

might i be having one of the problems discussed?

No, if you had one of those you wouldn't be able to access it at all with TESTDISK.

i noticed although its a seagate HDD but put in a USB case, seatools failed to recognise the HDD as a seagate one? is this normal?

Yes, this is normal.

and if i were to want to try to recover using testdisk hmm how do it? anyway, i am using TestDisk now to analyse partition table of something like that. i just next all that way mostly. so far i am getting

analyse cylinder 261/60800:00%

read error at xxx/xxx/xx (lbaxxxxx) - where x are numbers

Let's see what testdisk says at the end of the analysis.

From what you post it seems like that hard disk has developed "bad areas", but htat shouldn't prevent from booting with it attached (NOT booting from it).

You need in any case ANOTHER hard disk with same or bigger size, if you want to attempt recovering data.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

From what you post it seems like that hard disk has developed "bad areas", but htat shouldn't prevent from booting with it attached (NOT booting from it).

You need in any case ANOTHER hard disk with same or bigger size, if you want to attempt recovering data.

jaclaz

hmm, in the case of my laptop, once i plugged out the USB it booted. for the desktop, since its a direct SATA connection i didnt want to plug it out just like that. but definitely windows 7 is taking longer at the starting windows screen

if i recover the data maybe sometime later when i get a new HDD, how will i know what files are corrupted and useless? anyway?

if i recover the data maybe sometime later when i get a new HDD, how will i know what files are corrupted and useless? anyway?

Rule of the thumb:

• if you can open the DATA in the application intended to open it, it is fully recovered.
  • if you cannot, it is corrupted, which may not necessarily mean it's useless, but a further (or several more) step(s) may be needed, possibly using specific file format recovery applications.

No way to predict what has gone wrong, how much (if any is recoverable) without more data.

On the desktop, with the "failing" hard disk connected directly, try going into BIOS and try "autodetecting" the drive, what happens?

Once (even if slowly) booted to Windows 7, how is the "failing" hard disk seen in device manager?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@jaclaz

this is what i got (attached)

is there a need to do "deeper search"? it took like nearly 2 full days to do a "quick" one ... i did a "analyse current partition structure and search for lost partitions"

post-283519-127366634652_thumb.jpg

Edited by jiewmeng

Hmmm, maybe I was wrong, and actually TESTDISK can "see" the drive even if it is in LBA0 or BSY mode, but it would be "strange".

And no, I guess that for the moment the deeper search is pointless.

Please reply to my last questions:

On the desktop, with the "failing" hard disk connected directly, try going into BIOS and try "autodetecting" the drive, what happens?

Once (even if slowly) booted to Windows 7, how is the "failing" hard disk seen in device manager?

I still think about an intermittent problem, like a connection or the actual hard disk going bad.

Is it noisy?

Does it click repeatedly?

jaclaz

in the BIOS its detected as STA3200xxxx something like that i think the model number is correctly detected in BIOS.

err i plugged into the desktop for like half hour its still at starting windows when my brother wanted to use. i was using the laptop, the desktop is his, maybe i can try starting it again when his not using some other day.

I still think about an intermittent problem, like a connection or the actual hard disk going bad.

hmm i dont think its a connection problem actually, cos it is less likely that a SATA direct connection and USB connection failed with similar results

Is it noisy?

Does it click repeatedly?

not really noisy, it sounds normal

i hear some clicking sounds at the start but is not sure if its normal? i think i heard such sounds b4 (at start, like abt say 2 secs at most?)

in the BIOS its detected as STA3200xxxx something like that i think the model number is correctly detected in BIOS.

Yep, I mean which size is it detected with?

If 0 you have a LBA0 problem:

There are two common errors on Seagate 7200.11 HDDs (caused by bugs on firmware):

- 0 LBA error: it happens when your BIOS can recognize your HDD at POST moment, but as an 0MB drive.

- BSY error: it happens when your HDD enter on a halt state, or BuSY state. In this condition, your HDD will not be recognized by BIOS at POST moment.

i hear some clicking sounds at the start but is not sure if its normal? i think i heard such sounds b4 (at start, like abt say 2 secs at most?)

Clicking sound may be connected with a problem with the hard disk (lost calibration data) which is NOT resolvable without some specific software/hardware and knowledge.

jaclaz

hmm i think i will check back in BIOS some other time, but if its really the LBA problem ... the fix seems like kind of complex ... or i'd rather send it to seagate ... tho i got no idea when i bought the drive ... maybe dont have the receipt already ... i guess even formatting the HDD will not make it safe for use i guess ... since the problem is still there maybe not activated

i might just learn from this and use a better backup solution probably with RAID or something next time. i guess i will try and see what i can do still, chk BIOS for size for example

... tho i got no idea when i bought the drive ... maybe dont have the receipt already ...

Just enter the Seagate website and request a RMA, that's all, no need for invoices or that kind of stuff.