Can Windows 7 shutdown not block all the windows behind it?

PlayWithFire

When I install some software, and my PC requires a reboot, Windows 7 will complain about programs that are unresponsive when trying to close them. Often, it's firefox's "Are you sure you want to close all your tabs" and 4 instances of notepad I have open with "Are you sure you want to close and lose your changes". In XP, i could just go back to those windows, take care of them, and Windows would proceed with the shutdown. But, in Win 7, I can't focus on those windows.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I'm not certain, as I do not get this. But I changed a Local Security Policy, the one that is for the protected desktop for the UAC. You could try disabling it and see if that makes any difference. Or you could SAVE OFTEN and set Firefox not to prompt when closing.

then close notepad before shutting down?

This is not what I asked. I don't want to have to close notepad, or firefox, or photoshop. It was convenient with XP because it tried to close all the apps for me, but left them responsive for me to answer the dialog. On Win 7, the only thing I can do, is cancel the shutdown.

There used to be a setting called AutoEndTasks and WaitToKillAppTimeout XP.

Haven't tested on W7 myself (no issues with shutdown) but give it a go and report back.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/199/

I am also not interested in just killing the apps. I want the shutdown dialog to no block me from answering the "Are you sure you want to close"

So you saying that you want to override the 'modal' nature of the shutdown dialog. That would likely require some DLL hacking. Not sure exactly which dll handles shutdown, nor do I know if that DLL is signed. What I mean by signed is that in windows 7 certain mission critical files contain a hash check that verifies if they have been tampered with or not. If they are digitally signed it would be harder to modify, if not impossible.

How good are you with IDA ? First place you should check is winlogon.exe

Edited by MrJinje