Newbie questions: applicaiton install methods, .NET failure, $OEM

Hello! I'm new to the MSFN Forums, slipstreaming, and the whole enchillada.

I have 3 questions (Q1 is trying to understand a concept), but first, here's what I know how to do...

...I did my first DVD last night using the Beginner's Guide (after reading beginner and intermediate).

This is what I've accomplished:

• Slipstreamed SP2 into a no-SP XP.
  • Used SVCPACK.SIF and WINNT.SIF (created from Setupmgr then edited).
  • Successfully ran a *mostly*-unattended install (though .NET 2.0 failed). Hotfixes and Visual C++ Redistributable installed fine.
  • My updated XP was installed to a different partition than my "main XP".
  • Downloaded installers were already in their own partition, but I have not installed anything yet.

Application install method

Now I want to re-do my disk with drivers and applications...but I'm confused about the method of install. It seems like the commands are supposed to run at first logon by *each* user, not first logon by any user -- is that correct? Then how does it handle install-once applications? I don't mean the apps that give a choice...I mean apps that only install that way, automatically (like Apache)? Is there still no conflict?

Or am I misunderstanding, commands are not once per user but once during Setup???

(May be related to previous question.) .NET framework 2.0 failed -- why?

The installer GUI needed my interaction, so it was not completely unattended. But then it failed with an error message, something about permissions. I was installing via SVCPACK.INF with my other hotfixes. Is that the wrong way? If so, what should I have done?

Where does the $OEM$ folder go?

Do I put it in the root of my DVD or below i386?

Thanks. I am about to jump into doing a DVD with drivers and apps, so any help is appreciated.

Edited by JustShootIt

This is what I've accomplished:

• Slipstreamed SP2 into a no-SP XP.

Why would you do that? SP3 has been out for a couple years already. Why would anyone pick the service pack that's 6 years old instead, doubly so when its support life cycle ends in less than 2 months (July 13th)?

And if I answer your off-topic question, would you be so kind as to answer one of my questions above? :yes:

Why would you do that? SP3 has been out for a couple years already.

Because:

1) SP3 causes problems...like I was never able to figure out how to get my address bar back on the taskbar. Those so-called "fixes" on the MS website are only for IE, *not* the task bar.

2) After years of everyone else getting viruses -- and not me -- I finally figured security has nothing to do with MS patches -- it's the person in the chair! (What they download, what sites they visit, and whether they use IE or Firefox.)

Recently, an MS patch opened a new hole, and many people got infected. That's not to say I never patch...I just pick and choose carefully. I use third-party software for most things to avoid deep hooks into the OS, and I keep my Adobe and Flash patched, which takes care of a lot.

IE is the absolute *bane* of a security-conscious person. Anti-virus and Firewall are no longer adequate by themselves. I use Firefox with 3 additional security extensions because I consider them "serious security software", every bit as serious as the so-called security suites. **Most** malware comes from infected (or malicious) *websites*, via scripts, or flash, or poisoned images. I allow scripts only on sites I trust very well. If a site even uses JavaScript when it's *not necessary*, I don't enable scripts and I don't come back. I only enable Flash on sites I trust, and only when I actually want to *see* the videos or adds. Besides, the surfing experience is so *nice* (and fast!) without all that crap.

I read about people with patched systems getting malware...but I don't get malware. I've been using XP since the day it came out, and I have it well-beaten into submission! I must be doing something right.

Edited by JustShootIt

Can you install 2.0 afterwards?

if so, You may be seeing the issue where something does not release msiexec (in my case it was .net1.1 hanging it and failing my subsequent 2.0 install with some odd permissions error) . maybe run "net stop msiserver" prior to your .net 2.0 install and see if you have different behavior.

Can you install 2.0 afterwards?

if so, You may be seeing the issue where something does not release msiexec (in my case it was .net1.1 hanging it and failing my subsequent 2.0 install with some odd permissions error) . maybe run "net stop msiserver" prior to your .net 2.0 install and see if you have different behavior.

Thanks, I will try the "net stop" command and see if that makes a difference. The reason I want .NET installed during Setup is because some apps will depend on it. (I want to eventually get drivers and apps on the CD.)

maybe run "net stop msiserver" prior to your .net 2.0 install and see if you have different behavior.

Wait, can I run that directly from SVCPACK.INF? Or will I have to put it in a "cmdlines.txt" and call that?

The reason I ask is because so far I only have used the SVCPACK.INF and WINNT.SIF (without any [GuiRunOnce]), so I wondered if I could just drop it into one of these files. Otherwise I have to wait until I do the "Intermediate" method (which I was going to do anyway when I try my drivers and applications).

But I wanted to test your "net stop msiserver" now, if I could, because someone else seems to have a similar problem. Is that not possible yet based on what I have here?

SVCPACK.INF

;Windows XP
[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
00-01-11.exe /Q:A /R:N
04-08-13.exe /Q /O /N /Z
05-05-17.exe /Q /O /N /Z
05-09-23.exe /Q:A /R:N
06-03-21.exe /Q:A /R:N
06-07-14.exe /Q /O /N /Z
07-04-23.exe /Q /O /N /Z
07-10-30.exe /Q /O /N /Z
07-12-05.exe /Q /O /N /Z
07-12-18.exe /Q /O /N /Z
08-04-24.exe /Q /O /N /Z
08-06-19.exe /Q /O /N /Z
09-05-09.exe /Q /O /N /Z
qchain.exe

(The dated files are all hotfixes except .NET 2.0 and Visual C++ Redistributable. I had previously renamed my hotfixes, etc., with descriptions and dates, as I do with all installers. Rather than go back and find the KB#s, I just looked at the MS signature dates so I could install them in order. There will be more than this, but this is the min so my apps will install...counting Java as an app.)

WINNT.SIF

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall=Yes
AutomaticUpdates=0

[Unattended]
FileSystem=*
UnattendSwitch=Yes
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=No
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
DUDisable=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
ExtendOEMPartition=0
AutoActivate=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
OEMSkipRegional=0
TimeZone=35
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=MY REAL KEY WAS HERE
FullName=MY NAME
OrgName=MY WORKGROUP
ComputerName=MY COMPUTER

[Display]
BitsPerPel=4
Xresolution=1280
YResolution=768
Vrefresh=60

[IEPopupBlocker]
BlockPopups=Yes
FilterLevel=Medium
ShowInformationBar=Yes

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=7,1
Language=00000409

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]
Proxy_Enable=0
Use_Same_Proxy=1

[URL]
NoWelcome = 1
Search_Page = http://www.google.com
Home_Page="MY HOMEPAGE WAS HERE"

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=MY WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
Msmsgs=Off
Chat=Off
Clipbook=off
Freecell=off
Hearts=off
Minesweeper=off
Msnexplr=off
OEAccess=off
Pinball=off
Solitaire=off
Spider=off
Templates=off
WMAccess=off
Zonegames=off

Edited by JustShootIt

You may be seeing the issue where something does not release msiexec (in my case it was .net1.1 hanging it and failing my subsequent 2.0 install with some odd permissions error) . maybe run "net stop msiserver" prior to your .net 2.0 install and see if you have different behavior.

That didn't work.

It took me until now to try another approach because subsequent tries gave me errors trying to copy .DLLs (fixed by using a new CD).

I copied more info from the error message, which was, to wit "Error 1406...could not write value DW0200...make sure you have sufficient access..."

I found a blog with this workaround for SVCPACK.INF:

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup /V SystemSetupInProgress /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F

The author didn't specifically say if he put it in a batch file or directly in SVCPACK.INF. To be on the safe side (to quote/not to quote) I put it in a file inpr-key.cmd in the "SVCPACK" folder. Then I put "inpr-key.cmd" (without quotes) in SVCPACK.INF immediately before the name of the .NET file.

However, that still gave me the same error.

Microsoft Support doesn't have any useful information.

I wonder if I should just install (almost) everything as an application?(Most of my drivers can only install that way, anyway...but that's another story.)

So the question -- if no one has a suitable solution using SVCPACK.INF -- is this:

Is there a way to specify something in WINNT.SIF's [GuiRunOnce] which will not run for every user's first logon?

Or is it necessary to learn the RunOnceEx method?