Too many related errors in event viewer ?

morland

Probably, you can check it by launching dcomcnfg and expand Component services, expand Computers, expand My Computer and then expand com+ applications, you should see the components using msdtc.

Probably, you can check it by launching dcomcnfg and expand Component services, expand Computers, expand My Computer and then expand com+ applications, you should see the components using msdtc.

Just when I thought that the problem was solved. Looks like part of the problem probably is still there and the ghost is back to haunt me :} I followed the steps above (posted by allen2) and got the error shown in the attached image. I then checked Event Viewer and it has 32 entries similar to the one below

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MSDTC Client

Event Category: (10)

Event ID: 4427

Date: 28-May-10

Time: 8:37:37 PM

User: N/A

Computer:

Description:

Failed to initialize the needed name objects. Error Specifics: d:\comxp_sp3\com\com1x\dtc\dtc\msdtcprx\src\dtcinit.cpp:215, Pid: 2488

No Callstack,

CmdLine: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe /Processid:{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}

The Event Viewer also has 1 entry for two events. First one is this

Event Source: COM+

Event Category: (98)

Event ID: 4691

Computer:

Description:

The run-time environment was unable to initialize for transactions required to support transactional components. Make sure that MS-DTC is running. (DtcGetTransactionManagerEx(): hr = 0x8004d027)

And the 2nd one is

Event Source: MSDTC Client

Event Category: (10)

Event ID: 4427

Computer:

Description:

Failed to initialize the needed name objects. Error Specifics: d:\comxp_sp3\com\com1x\dtc\dtc\msdtcprx\src\dtcinit.cpp:215, Pid: 2488

No Callstack,

CmdLine: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe /Processid:{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}

:blink::wacko:

post-131769-127511028868_thumb.jpg

Just when I thought that the problem was solved. Looks like part of the problem probably is still there and the ghost is back to haunt me :} I followed the steps above (posted by allen2) and got the error shown in the attached image. I then checked Event Viewer and it has 32 entries similar to the one below...

The problem is, the problem was never really gone. MSDTC is a demand-start service, so you will only see errors from it when something in COM requires it - which likely explains why it was "gone" for awhile, and then started showing up again later. What allen2 had you do just masked the logfile problem (although it did cause MSDTC to spit out more useful errors, so it was a good effort to do nonetheless). However, at this point MSDTC is still broken, so the errors (and any problems using MSDTC) are going to come back as soon as the logs are rebuilt the next time MSDTC is started. What I suggest is not removing the symptoms by sweeping the errors under the rug, but actually doing the cleaning necessary to *fix* the problem. Otherwise you still have dirt on the floor, you just won't see it for awhile - that's not fixing anything ;). To that end, and to explain what is wrong:

What you have are two different, but related, event errors - the first and third error in the event log are actually the same, specifically it is logging that your machine is failing to start the MSDTC service because something in it's init is failing. The second event is specifically why the MSDTC service won't start - 0x8004d027 == XACT_E_UNABLE_TO_READ_DTC_CONFIG. What you're likely to see if you open dcomcnfg at this point is that the My Computer icon under Component Services will have a red downward pointing arrow icon indicating a problem with both the COM+ catalog on the machine, as well as the MSDTC configuration. You are going to need to remove and re-add the MSDTC components at this point, and also rebuild the COM+ catalog to get back to a working, clean state (it's likely some COM object was installed that broke this at the root of the problem, although tracking it down now is not possible).

1. In services.msc, you need to stop any service that is running that the system will let you stop (just don't try to stop the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, or you'll reboot the box) - doing this is important, as MSDTC removal/reinstall can fail if services are running and locking files.

2. Open a command prompt logged on as an Administrator, and execute the following command:

msdtc -uninstall

3. Open the registry, and delete any of the following KEYS if they exist:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSDTC
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\MSDTC
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\MSDTC
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC

4. Again, from the command prompt, execute the following command:

msdtc -install

- You should see event 4104 logged in the event viewer stating that the MSDTC service was installed successfully. If so, REBOOT now.

5. Once the box is rebooted, open a command prompt logged on as an Administrator, and execute the following command:

msdtc -resetlog

- REBOOT AGAIN, but this time you need to reboot into SAFE MODE for the next few steps:

6. Open a command prompt, change to the %WINDIR%\system32 directory, and execute the following command:

rename clbcatq.dll ~clbcatq.dll

7. Open Windows Explorer, and browse to the %SYSTEMROOT% directory. Make a backup copy of the Registration folder (if it exists - make sure you are not hiding hidden and system files in the Windows Explorer folder options), then delete it. Any errors in deleting files is OK, just try to delete the entire folder and get rid of whatever Windows will let you delete at this point (if it deletes without an error, that's actually pretty indicative that this was really broken ;)). You can clean up the folder itself later on in step 9 if necessary, but it likely won't be.

8. Open the registry, and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\COM3. First, make a backup of the COM3 key by exporting it, and then delete the COM3 key itself (please be careful here to only delete the COM3 key and it's components).

- Once you've done steps 6 - 8, REBOOT again, back into a regular Windows XP boot as you normally would when booting the system.

9. As previously mentioned at the end of step 7, if you had any trouble deleting the Registration folder from %SYSTEMROOT% in step 7, go back and finish the job now. The folder should be able to be deleted without any further errors at this point.

10. Last, but not least, open the Control Panel, and then open up the Add/Remove Programs applet. JUST CLICK NEXT - DO NOTHING ELSE. The ARP binaries will notice that COM+ is "broken" (we broke it here), and will reinstall COM+ and repair it's catalog.

It is worth noting that this can break things installed that had COM components loaded, like some activex controls and applications like IIS. If you have anything that behaves... oddly... after this, you'll need to repair or reinstall those applications. However, this repair shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so, and you won't have to rebuild your entire box to fix this.

Hi cluberti and thanks for a very detailed reply. Appreciate it.

I think given the # of problems that I have been running into, I probably will be better off if i do a Repair installation of XP. However I have some questions in this regard (thanks to my ignorance) and will be very grateful if you can kindly reply to the following:

If I do a repair install in the right manner, then:

1) Will my currently installed programs run ok or will I have to re-install everything?

2) Will I end up with up a scenario where I will have a C:\Windows\ folder and a C:\Windows(old)\ folder and something similar like this for C:\Program Files\ files folder.

Actually the reason for asking these questions is because I feel VERY shaky when it comes to repair install. The last time I tried to do that (maybe a year+ back) i ended up with a total mess and took me a long time to do a fresh install and everything else that follows.

I hope you can understand why I am shaky & nervous about the Repair install but I really want to get rid of all the headaches I've been facing for the past many weeks.

Many advance thanks for helping and guiding me.

1. In services.msc, you need to stop any service that is running that the system will let you stop (just don't try to stop the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, or you'll reboot the box) - doing this is important, as MSDTC removal/reinstall can fail if services are running and locking files.

Hi cluberti,

Well after posting my earlier reply, I decided to give your solution a try BUT could not get past Step #1 (quoted above) because no mater what I tried, I just could not stop the services shown in the attached image. It was a pain to manually stop the services one by one. Is there a tool to

1. Issue 1 command and stop all services. I found a tool called Seriwin but that did not work

2. Is there some trick to forcefully stop services like the one's shown in the attached image?

What else information can I provide? Okay I took screenshots of the services that I was unable to stop and these are the things i noted:

1. ONLY Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service had a Logon Tab different than the others. The logon Tab of Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and just 1 of the all others is also attached. Is this normal or ??

2. Only Remote Access Connection Manager and Telephony services offered the Stop option. (Pls see attached image)

3. But both services mentioned in point above took more than a minute each and just towards the end gave the messages shown in the attached image

Please let me now if you need any more information.

So what do i do now?

Thanks.

post-131769-127522190879_thumb.jpg

post-131769-127522227481_thumb.jpg

post-131769-127522228859_thumb.jpg

post-131769-127522242329_thumb.jpg

post-131769-127522248657_thumb.jpg

1) Will my currently installed programs run ok or will I have to re-install everything?

2) Will I end up with up a scenario where I will have a C:\Windows\ folder and a C:\Windows(old)\ folder and something similar like this for C:\Program Files\ files folder.

It depends, but yes, a "Repair install" is really only meant to repair *Windows*, and not "the system". People (rightly) think of their Windows installations as Windows+Apps+Settings, which can cause problems when people do Repair installations - the Windows installer only knows about *Windows*, and while it can sometimes do a repair and keep your apps and settings working, it's not a guarantee by any means (and depending on the damage it needs to repair, it can break pretty much everything else - making a clean install more effective, but of course that takes far longer). I always try to fix machines with issues before doing a repair install, unless the damage is too obvious or the machine was infected with something malicious - in those (and only those) two scenarios, I always revert to a reinstall rather than fix. Honestly, I've generally found Repair installs to be too much of a crapshoot, so I don't ever recommend them unless you've already decided you'll be OK with doing a clean install if the Repair fails, and your time is worth nothing (because when the Repair fails, you have to reinstall everything anyway).
So what do i do now?
You may actually be having an issue stopping services because of the COM+ problems, and this is ok. It's why my step#1 said "you need to stop any service that is running that the system will let you stop" rather than just "you need to stop any service that is running". Do what you can, and miss what you can't. Still keep trying, as technically this step is only a precaution, rather than a requirement. If you really get stuck and services do cause msdtc -install to fail, you can try in safe mode. However, it *should* work from regular mode, even with most services running. Give it a try, see what happens :).

hello cluberti.

This is what happened:

Everything went okay till the end of step 8.

When I started on Step 9 and tried to repair the COM+, it asked me for my original XP CD. I inserted the CD but Windows did not recognize the inserted CD. Tried many things that came to mind but nothing worked. Was sick and tired of these problems anyways so decided to restore an old backup image. That too turned out to be "corrupted". LUCKILY i had a very old backup image available. Restored that and luckily that one did not have the corrupted COM+ things (or whatever the right terminology is). BUT I spent the past whole day re-installing stuff :crazy: and thus my apologies for late feedback

1) The 1st attached image shows how the COM+ things looks like now. DO you think the problem is resolved?

2)I however have been getting the error shown in the 2nd image (Explorer Error.jpg) every now and then. Sometimes when I close Windows Explorer, a error dialog saying "Invalid Pointer Operation" also pops up. Any suggestions on how to get rid of these? Please.

3) Last but not least, and something that worries me the most, is the entry shown in the 3rd Image (Maybe some Hidden Nasty.jpg). Is this something normal or is the problem still there :(

I thank you for your kind help so far and hope to get your reply.

post-131769-12754122983_thumb.jpg

post-131769-127541288483_thumb.jpg

1) The 1st attached image shows how the COM+ things looks like now. DO you think the problem is resolved?

Depends on how the event logs look, but according to that screenshot MSDTC is working again, so that's good news.

2)I however have been getting the error shown in the 2nd image (Explorer Error.jpg) every now and then. Sometimes when I close Windows Explorer, a error dialog saying "Invalid Pointer Operation" also pops up. Any suggestions on how to get rid of these? Please.

Assuming you don't get this any other time, you probably have an Explorer shell extension that's COM object is broken due to what was done previously, although it'll be hard to give you a culprit pinpointed without a dump of explorer crashing out. It might be easier for you to use ShellExView and disable anything non-Microsoft, and play the roulette enable/test game to see if you can pinpoint the exact one that's failing (it'll probably work fine once you disable anything non-Microsoft).

3) Last but not least, and something that worries me the most, is the entry shown in the 3rd Image (Maybe some Hidden Nasty.jpg). Is this something normal or is the problem still there :(

I don't see a third image, so I can't state anything about it. However, I would suggest doing something a little drastic (sort of) - if you had to restore COM components from an old backup image, you probably now have mixed versions of files. It would be best to reinstall whatever SP you have (I'm assuming XP SP3) and then use MBSA 2.1.1 to find out which hotfixes you need to reinstall after that.

It depends, but yes, a "Repair install" is really only meant to repair *Windows*, and not "the system". People (rightly) think of their Windows installations as Windows+Apps+Settings, which can cause problems when people do Repair installations ....

Honestly, I've generally found Repair installs to be too much of a crapshoot, so I don't ever recommend them unless you've already decided you'll be OK with doing a clean install if the Repair fails, and your time is worth nothing (because when the Repair fails, you have to reinstall everything anyway).

Thanks Mr. cluberti :thumbup . That's what I ( a newbie in the IT world) wanted to get confirmed from an expert. Please give me time to digest your next reply. I will get back to you after trying the suggested solution to fix the Explorer crash thing.

I am really thankful for your help.

I don't see a third image, so I can't state anything about it. However, I would suggest doing something a little drastic (sort of) - if you had to restore COM components from an old backup image, you probably now have mixed versions of files. It would be best to reinstall whatever SP you have (I'm assuming XP SP3) and then use MBSA 2.1.1 to find out which hotfixes you need to reinstall after that.

Sorry. Forgot to attach the 3rd image. It's attached now.

Thanks for the clue about using ShellExView. I'll try it :)

post-131769-12754598968_thumb.jpg