Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Sorta like bootleg tape trading..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
Well, the good news is that HFSLIP is both Open-Source + written in plain cmd syntax, which makes modifications/additions much eassier to be made, and to a much larger audience, than if e.g. written in C/C++.

Now you guys just need someone who will be willing to host and support this project, and in the mean time, whenever an update fails to slipstream, then someone willing and in the know, could post the diff, for others to incorporate.

To be honest, then I have full understanding for if getting tired of a project and hence, quitting it, but my oppenion is just that if wanting/exspecting to get payd for your work, then don't release freeware, and if not wanting to answer stupid license questions, then just don't give out your mail-adress, and ignore dumbass forum-posters etc.

Btw, the thread-title is a little of IMHO, as there's nothing illegail with distributing hfslip, in contrary to bootlegs, but that's just nitpicking i know.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Martin H, 17 June 2010 - 05:45 AM.

/* Moved to Linux - Thanks for a nice stay all! */
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Ambassador

Ambassador

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

Beta J was the last version.
Its filename: hfslip-1.7.10_beta_J.cmd
Its MD5: DF89784782AA5AD6A7AA21371FD18EBF

Well, that does help eleviate the situation somewhat. However, the person who finds HFSLIP on some freeware downloading site wouldn't think to look here first. Besides, the MD5SUM of the CMD file isn't as useful since HFSLIP is distributed mostly in a ZIP archive, but of course that problem could be helped (but not solved) by posting the ZIP's MD5SUM. That's not the point though.

Just so everyone understands what you're suggesting, this means TommyP would be giving up his Copyright on the work. Somehow I don't think he'd be okay with that. I could ask him to come and post his feelings on the matter however if really necessary.

Public domain works can be released with the Creative Commons license. I've seen this before. Furthermore, why is it so important that TommyP maintain the copyright on all the older versions of HFSLIP? If TommyP is simply planning to re-release HFSLIP again one day, he could easily called it "HFSLIPX" or something and put this new under his own copyright.

but I do believe my points do deserve some merit.

I think he won't agree. Check the license included. The source can be legally modified.

I was more emphasizing the counterfeit problems at the beginning. The "public domain" suggestion was just one brainstormed idea.

What were the technical reasons? Did Paypal not work? Did you e-mail Tom for his address to send a check? You should tell have told him exactly what did not work.

I don't have a credit card. Because of my age (at the time) and bank account type, I could not send cheques, let alone make a PayPal account. Of course, this situation has changed of late, but at the time it was impossible. That's what I meant.

A rethink could have helped donations? What kind of rethink? You mean if Tom had sold it and required a license and proof of licensure before he provided support? He said a hundred times he didn't want to HAVE to support the project. He said he didn't like that it was like work. It was a hobby.

I wasn't referring to the amount of donations. I was refering to the lack of developers which joined the project. Essentially, TommyP/TomCat where in a situation where they were the sole developers accepted bug reports from people, who a lot of which could not fix the code on their own. Compare this to, say, Windows Classic Shell for Windows 7, or Explorer++.

I, Tomcat, and TommyP all spread the word on other sites. It didn't, and doesn't, matter. Ultimately, a LOT of people "just didn't get it." There are people who used it and who actually thought that it didn't slipstream. There are people who actually know about HFSLIP and prefer unattended methods (no, I know I could save myself a ton of work, I like doing things the hard way). It sounds absurd, but there you have it. People like pain. I hate to pick on others, but there's a guy here who has an extremely complex process for manual slipstreaming and he has a LOT of fans. What can we do? People like making their lives harder. It sounds sarcastic, but believe me, if you could spend any time in our shoes, you'd see it's absolutely true.

Fair enough. As I said in my original post, I was probably generalizing things. The benefit is that I get this information and better understanding of the situation.

There are reasons why there are many successful open-source Windows projects out there

Well, you're free to name some suggestions that we haven't tried, I guess. Too late now, but I am curious.

Explorer++, LiteStep, BB4Win.

and why HFSLIP never reaped the benefits of multiple developers.

And now I'm REALLY curious to hear your reasons. One of the most amazing projects of all time, a LiveCD of the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator on sourceforge, has lived and died several times for lack of developers. Each time it got resurrected, ONE guy took over. It's alive now thanks to ONE guy. Getting devs to work on something is not as easy as you seem to think. There were some contributions to the codebase but only Tomcat76 was a major developer. Heck even I did not contribute much of anything at all.

I never said I knew the reasons. I was simply pointing out that there had to be reasons of why HFSLIP didn't have more people working the source code. It could have been the way the site was laid out for all I know.

Everyone got a lot of free work and Tom felt frustrated. Now, the tables are turned. He doesn't visit this forum and he is free of the burden, and everyone else feels frustrated. But I am pretty sure that people's venting is not going to get him to return.

There seems to be a contradiction at play here. You say that TommyP is frustrated for putting so much work into his project with no compensation, be it development work or donations, from his users. I can understand this. From the way you word your statement it would be ideal for HFSLIP to take charge and get involved and work on the HFSLIP source. However, an environment to encourage this behaviour, on SourceForge or wherever, hasn't been created.

Again, I have probably generalized a lot in these posts. I also hope that I haven't alienated you FDV. My intention was not to start a battle with you or TommyP, just raise some questions about the rational for TommyP's choice. In the end, it is TommyP's choice of how he wants to host (or not host) the HFSLIP project, and I respect his viewpoint and his decision.

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
Public domain works can be released with the Creative Commons license.

Then the license wouldn't even apply. Public domain works literally mean free and unrestricted use. They are copyright free. Someone attaching a license to something when it's in the public domain (they don't have the rights to it) means you can ignore the license.

Well, you're free to name some suggestions that we haven't tried, I guess. Too late now, but I am curious.

Explorer++, LiteStep, BB4Win.

I literally meant suggestions that the developers had not tried. Not projects.

However, an environment to encourage this behaviour, on SourceForge or wherever, hasn't been created.

That's what THIS forum is for. You know, Tomcat76 wasn't on the project originally. He was just some random guy who contributed massive amounts of code, then took over development.

these posts. I also hope that I haven't alienated you FDV.

Not in the least.

just raise some questions about the rational for TommyP's choice. ... and I respect his viewpoint and his decision.

As the only mod left in this subforum it leaves me explaining what the deal is. Which is hard to do because if it were me, I probably would have done things differently, but I do believe that people need some sort of answers. People keep asking and questioning and I do the best I can to explain but ultimately it's a decision resting with Tom who isn't even here now to read these scolding posts. I'm sure PMs thanking him for a heck of a ride couldn't hurt though.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,527 posts

Donator

The biggest problem with the project is the fact that it is too much work to maintain in its current form. I highlighted the fact back in 2006, backed up by tommyp, that the script under Tomcat was going the wrong way, it was becoming bloated, (implementing far more than was originally intended). As a result of this, and the continual quick fixes the code has become very messy, it will be extremely difficult for anyone to just jump in and take over the development at this point in time. With the sudden disappearance of Tomcat, tommyp was left with a completely different piece of code than that which he'd been comfortable with and I'd suggest that this alone has made the maintenance of it a chore. Working on something as a chore is a far different task, tie that in with the fact that the number of users of the supported OS's is diminishing and it's a no-brainer to end development.

The only way I could see the project continuing in any useful form would be to re-write the code, stripping away some things and probably removing the ability to support anything other than Windows XP. At that point I'd not even be sure that it would count as a version of HFSlip, under the same licencing or something completely different, but one thing is for sure HFSlip as you know it would definitely have stopped development.

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

The only way I could see the project continuing in any useful form would be to re-write the code, stripping away some things and probably removing the ability to support anything other than Windows XP. At that point I'd not even be sure that it would count as a version of HFSlip, under the same licencing or something completely different, but one thing is for sure HFSlip as you know it would definitely have stopped development.

I fully agree with that, except that I don't think a rewrite is a top-priority for the XP-core-updates slipstreaming part, as that works fine and can eassily be extended as is, to feature non-supported updates, but to strip out all non-XP and Non-core-updates out, and release as a HFSLIP fork under the same license, would defenetally be a good move IMHO.

I'm not using Windows and hence, HFSLIP myself anymore, but I used to be very interessted in this project when I did, so i'm sad to see it "blowing in the wind" like this(or whatever the right expression is :))...

For the Win2k users still holding the fane high(best Windows version IMHO, especially when coupled with fdv's fileset or hfcleanup, but unfortunetly, because of missing new driver and app support, coupled with non 2+ dual-core support, makes it a non-choise for many with newer machines unfortunetly), then a seperate Win2k fork could be made there also, if the interest was available.

Edited by Martin H, 23 June 2010 - 01:41 AM.

Posted Image

Ambassador

Ambassador

• PipPip
  • 220 posts
Sorry I haven't responded. I meant to respond immediately, but s**t hit the fan.

Then the license wouldn't even apply. Public domain works literally mean free and unrestricted use. They are copyright free. Someone attaching a license to something when it's in the public domain (they don't have the rights to it) means you can ignore the license.

I was refering to uploading to the Internet Archive, a sort of "public domain" in itself that doesn't provide an environment to develop projects like SourceForge, but rather serve as a library for lack of a better description. It would also serve as a great place to host all that information and hints on HFSLIP that were on his site. Just to note that I am aware that releasing to the public domain essentially means "do whatever you want", akin to the WTFPL. I was vague on this point.

I literally meant suggestions that the developers had not tried. Not projects.

Though I have followed your site for quite awhile (I remember when NTTweak was on your recommended software list ;)), I am not familiar with the complete history of HFSLIP development. I guess the best I could offer here is a development site like SourceForge (though the dislike of this option has already been indicated). Perhaps Google Code would be more appropriate in this circumstance?

That's what THIS forum is for. You know, Tomcat76 wasn't on the project originally. He was just some random guy who contributed massive amounts of code, then took over development.

I find that forums are often hit or miss in this regard. And I still believe a development site like SourceForge is more effective.

Not in the least.

Glad to hear it. :)

As the only mod left in this subforum it leaves me explaining what the deal is. Which is hard to do because if it were me, I probably would have done things differently, but I do believe that people need some sort of answers. People keep asking and questioning and I do the best I can to explain but ultimately it's a decision resting with Tom who isn't even here now to read these scolding posts.

I am not trying to scold anyone here, least of all TommyP or you. Why should I scold him? Without him, HFSLIP wouldn't exist in the first place. Furthermore, he didn't go down the path of hunting down sites and users who were/are hosting HFSLIP after he took his site down. I will send him a PM though.

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

[...] Furthermore, he didn't go down the path of hunting down sites and users who were/are hosting HFSLIP after he took his site down. I will send him a PM though.

His license dosen't govern him that right...

Posted Image

Ambassador

Ambassador

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

[...] Furthermore, he didn't go down the path of hunting down sites and users who were/are hosting HFSLIP after he took his site down. I will send him a PM though.

His license dosen't govern him that right...

Fair enough, but I think TommyP wouldn't have done that even if had the right. Although I have seen some cases with Free software projects where the author in fact tries to do what I just suggested.

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
Really? -Then they wouldn't be understanding anything about FOSS licensing and make a complete joke out of themselves in the process!

Anyway, I would suggest that FDV made a stickied post with the link of latest hfslip and a post about seeking new maintainers/developers, or else I really don't see the point of this forum, truth be told! Ppl go here for help, instrutions and download links! Especially now when the main page is down.

TP did an amazing job and is a really nice guy, and I fully respect that he has decided to quit maintaning hfslip, but honestly, then i'm pretty disappointed about the way he left, i.e. the wording in the last hfslip-post edit, the removing of the download link for hfslip and finally for clossing the website! What is that about - trying to "punish ppl for not donating to his freeware project?"... Granted, he has every right to do so, but my point is just what kind of a message that states!

PS: Thanks for adding me to your friends list mate! :)

Posted Image

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,247 posts
It probably states that he was tired or incapable (or both) of paying for hosting a fairly heavily-visited site along with the additional costs of serving binaries, and when he stopped supporting the project he also pulled the site to save cash (remember, no one was donating, so if it was running it was coming out of his pocket). I could be wrong, but I would wager I am not.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
tain was hosting the site for him, and additionally I was also reffering to the removal of download links from the MSFN HFSLIP threads.

If not because of the above, then obviously I would fully understand it! :)

Edited by Martin H, 07 July 2010 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,680 posts

Donator

It probably states that he was tired or incapable (or both) of paying for hosting a fairly heavily-visited site along with the additional costs of serving binaries, and when he stopped supporting the project he also pulled the site to save cash (remember, no one was donating, so if it was running it was coming out of his pocket). I could be wrong, but I would wager I am not.

I'm going to bookmark that post because it is one of the extreme few in which cluberti is wrong. That guy is super-sharp and nearly always right. But not this time; gotcha now, sucka!

I hosted the site for a long time and FDV helped with hosting, too. I think we'd both still be willing to host, so that wasn't the issue. tommyp has stated his reasoning and he was being truthful.

I'm also one of those precious few that donated. I'll take this chance to remind people that it is a good idea to donate to MSFN as I've done several times. You don't want MSFN to go away like HFSLIP did, do you? I guarantee you that xper could use the help and that this isn't a profit-generating venture for him.

So, cluberti...about that wager you mentioned :)

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I'm going to bookmark that post because it is one of the extreme few in which cluberti is wrong. That guy is super-sharp and nearly always right.

LOL! Anyway, couldn't agree more! :)

Posted Image

pcalvert

pcalvert

• PipPip
  • 132 posts
With many open source projects, the software is free, and there is free support (within limits) on a support forum. But beyond that, one needs to pay for premium support. Just thought I'd point that out, for whatever it's worth...

Phil

"Thinking is hard work, which is why so few people do it." - Henry Ford

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
Just to rap up what i've previously posted about my feelings towards this, then I just noticed this older post from the HFSLIP test-releases thread, which I haden't seen before:

Tom doesn't want it sent to Sourceforge (it has to be him, the copyright holder, to submit it anyway).

In fact, he doesn't want it distributed at all anymore. I'll make a more general announcement in a new topic.

Source: http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__925265
(I'm reffering to the last line, and not the first.)

Posted Image

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,247 posts

So, cluberti...about that wager you mentioned :)

I didn't realize you were still hosting - I was under the impression that was more temporary way back when. As far as a wager, I'll give you a raise to 2x what I'm paying you now :P.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,680 posts

Donator

Wooooo kegger time!

jinjou

jinjou

• 18 posts
Wow.

What a ride.

And to think it all started with checking out BartPE more closely than previously.

So I finally tracked down the explanation that I'd been trying to infer for about the past couple of weeks. Time to take off the deerstalker.

fdv's site was an amazing piece of business that kept me rapt for quite a while and sent me off in quite a few directions. I'd've probably found this thread sooner if I wasn't being so thorough, but the body was missing it's heart, and that was the mystery that's been fully explained to me now.

So, the only remaining mystery is, where's the heart? I mean, of course, the original web site pages. I consider myself to be reasonalby clever, but a gander at the original instructions would sure help to clarify things.

One of the pages was http://www.hfslip.org/advanced.html and explained something about HFCLEANUP which I can't quite figure out. Is it a separate work or part of the main cmd file?

The other page that would appear to be of interest would be http://www.vorck.com/hfexpert.html.

Any chance of getting a copy of the original site?

If not, I guess it's to the mines, er, I mean threads, with me.

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,680 posts

Donator

Any chance of getting a copy of the original site?

Possible, but up to tommyp.

You could try archive.org...

kalo

kalo

• 38 posts
I'm a bit late to the wake here, this is sad news.. Makes my face go :( And my heard go </3

There's still life in the old dog yet, needs a be hosted again and some word up devs and IT WILL rise from the ashes!

jimmsta

jimmsta

computer janitor

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
I'd love to try my hand at maintaining the script, or at least get it back to some form of working order. I've been needing to recreate my xp install CD's anyway :P I really feel that this script should continue to be updated, even if no donations are offered - I've been working on my Bootzilla project for six years, and have yet to see any donations, yet I still maintain it, and keep it up to date, despite the lack of additional funding. It's therapeutic for me. :)
Creator and Maintainer of BootZilla.org

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,680 posts

Donator

Offering to be the new maintainer is a good way to get people's attention :)

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
looking forward to this ... hopefully this progresses & maybe entice tommy p, fdv & tomcat to come back! cheers & god bless!
Posted Image

RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

HFSLIP is redistributable, no matter if the Author changed his mind later. :angel

QFT.
Asus P5QL Pro, Core 2 Duo E4500, eVGA GeForce 9500 GT with XP Pro x64 Edition -> Works great with Asus P5QL Pro!

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts

HFSLIP is redistributable, no matter if the Author changed his mind later. :angel

QFT.

If this is your issue, you seriously need to read the rest of the thread -- not stop after two posts on page one.

I'll say this for the benefit of anyone reading, and I'll say it three times:

the issue with HFSLIP is not, and never has been, redistribution.

The issue with HFSLIP is not, and never has been, redistribution.

The issue with HFSLIP is not, and never has been, redistribution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN