Problem with a Hanging Win 98

Krish

I Installed UBCD 98 & When WPI window open my Keyboard & Mouse not work it was Freeze!

& After Restart I Trying to install WPI From Run Command Error message Appear : Illegal Operation

& keyboard & Mouse Freeze.

Please Help me.

Sorry for my bad English.

I have Dual Boot PC i.e. XP & UBCD 98

Ram : 1 GB

HDD1 : 40 GB

HDD2 : 160 GB

Processor : Intel P4

Mother Board : Asus P4GE MX

By Reading this post :

I using this

[Vcahe]

MaxFileCahe=522240

[386Enh]

MaxPhysPage=20000

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

But problem is there to run Windows Post Installation error occur illegal program operation.

thanks in advance for any suggession...

Edited by Krish

• 7 months later...

Q.1. When I press Ctr + Alt + Del Keyboard & Mouse not working

Q.2. When Some Dos window open up then keybord and Mouse not working

Q.3. When I WPI for 98 CD menu open then Keyboard & Mouse not working

My System Configuration

System : Win98 SE UBCD 2008 Version

Ram : 1 GB

HDD1 : 40 GB

HDD2 : 120 GB

MotherBoard : Asus P4 GE MX

Other

Kernel Ex : 4.5 RC-5

Revolution Pack : 9.7

Why it is happen ? I am weired

there is any problem in setup of UBCD 2008?

sorry for bad English

Edited by Krish

I assume you mean UBCD v4.8... "Kernel EX" and "Revolution Pack" might cause problems when used before/after UBCD (no longer supported and topic removed - don't ask why...). Just read the info in the "package", look over the fixes included, and visit MDGx' site for "no-no's" when installing those additional packages. I don't use them (installed 98SE with just UBCD and a minor "tweak" for "Greater Than 1gib Memory" topic (see stickies). No problem here...

edit - Seems you have this same problem noted here.

Edited by submix8c

I assume you mean UBCD v4.8... "Kernel EX" and "Revolution Pack" might cause problems when used before/after UBCD (no longer supported and topic removed - don't ask why...). Just read the info in the "package", look over the fixes included, and visit MDGx' site for "no-no's" when installing those additional packages. I don't use them (installed 98SE with just UBCD and a minor "tweak" for "Greater Than 1gib Memory" topic (see stickies). No problem here...

Thanks!

Why not simply bump?

After all this time, it'd be justified, although if nobody responded before I doubt anybody'll now.

Great catch submix8c: you do rock! :thumbup

Threads merged.

@Krish: Do *not* double-post!

:huh:

I want to close this topic, How I ?

If you ask because of the duplicate threads, dencorso has already fixed this by merging them.

If it's because you have solved your problem, could you please give a little feedback?

@ submix8c : I thought UBCD basically added extra drivers for newer (newish) hardware. Why would this cause problems for using KernelEx and/or RP (especially interested in the former, as I don't use the latter)?

Joe.

@ submix8c : I thought UBCD basically added extra drivers for newer (newish) hardware. Why would this cause problems for using KernelEx and/or RP (especially interested in the former, as I don't use the latter)?
UBCD for 98SE was a project involving "merging" AutoPatcher + Drivers + Other "software" (this being the reason for closed topic, some drivers/software was "not free" and/or "not redistributable" I believe; better left alone on that issue). It includes (as does AutoPatcher) an option to install those particular items. Browse around MSFN and you will see that there were "conflicts" between them and other official/unofficial patches. Certain "bugs" would arise (read the loooong AutoPatcher thread for some potential details, or even the Unoffical SP's, etc.).

As for UBCD, it's possible to "reconstruct" the Project (afresh, I dare say), by simply taking info previously included to "roll your own", as it were. This info (if you still have UBCD) is within the TXT files (folder "instruct") on "what got included from AP98SE". Simple methods (via BAT) for including Drivers, Patches (official/unofficial), and Software (DOS-mode Executable during Boot From CD and Installed via a particular version of WPI as last sequence).

The BAT files, Lists (TXT-files), How-To-Make-Boot-Image, and some basic instructions would be all you need.

'Nuff said (don't want to bring out the butt-spankers...)!

If it's because you have solved your problem, could you please give a little feedback?

No! Problem has not solved but no one interested to solve this problem so i am loosing any hope.

by the way thanks to all.

UBCD for 98SE was a project involving "merging" AutoPatcher + Drivers + Other "software" (this being the reason for closed topic, some drivers/software was "not free" and/or "not redistributable" I believe; better left alone on that issue). It includes (as does AutoPatcher) an option to install those particular items. Browse around MSFN and you will see that there were "conflicts" between them and other official/unofficial patches. Certain "bugs" would arise (read the loooong AutoPatcher thread for some potential details, or even the Unoffical SP's, etc.).

As for UBCD, it's possible to "reconstruct" the Project (afresh, I dare say), by simply taking info previously included to "roll your own", as it were. This info (if you still have UBCD) is within the TXT files (folder "instruct") on "what got included from AP98SE". Simple methods (via BAT) for including Drivers, Patches (official/unofficial), and Software (DOS-mode Executable during Boot From CD and Installed via a particular version of WPI as last sequence).

The BAT files, Lists (TXT-files), How-To-Make-Boot-Image, and some basic instructions would be all you need.

Unfortunate about the UBCD, but MSFN has to protect its interests, so I understand.

I downloaded it a couple of months ago, just in case, but haven't had a need to try it (or the time to delve into it). I wasn't aware its scope was so broad, actually. Anyway, let's ignore any bundled applications for the moment.

I rediscovered the A-P thread recently, and did read a moderate portion of that tome, I think I recall some discussions about improving compatibility with the Unofficial Service packs, and had thought this had been achieved.

Am I wrong in thinking that about the A-P compatibility, or is it that the same level of compatibility was not achieved with the updates in the UBCD?

Do you know to what extent the UBCD can be applied without introducing compatibility problems with either 98SE-SP-xxx or WUPG98? And KernelEx?

No! Problem has not solved but no one interested to solve this problem so i am loosing any hope.

We're trying to figure it out.

Joe.

Unfortunate about the UBCD, but MSFN has to protect its interests, so I understand.

I downloaded it a couple of months ago, just in case, but haven't had a need to try it (or the time to delve into it). I wasn't aware its scope was so broad, actually. Anyway, let's ignore any bundled applications for the moment.

I rediscovered the A-P thread recently, and did read a moderate portion of that tome, I think I recall some discussions about improving compatibility with the Unofficial Service packs, and had thought this had been achieved.

Am I wrong in thinking that about the A-P compatibility, or is it that the same level of compatibility was not achieved with the updates in the UBCD?

Do you know to what extent the UBCD can be applied without introducing compatibility problems with either 98SE-SP-xxx or WUPG98? And KernelEx?

We're trying to figure it out.

Joe.

My hopes are growing now.

UBCD98SE vs AutoPatcher -

UBCD installs the OS, Updates, and Drivers in one "shot" (multiple ?5? reboots to accomplish Updates). Any "software" was in the MS-DOS "boot" selections (not installed). Some "software" was not "freeware". Did not include the aforementioned items. You couldn't "pick and choose" anything to install or not install - they all installed.

AutoPatcher installs Updates and Software (via a "special" WPI) only and after OS Install. The "software" is "freeware". Did include the aforementioned items. In addition, some items (if selected) would "re-install/rename" previously installed items if selected in subsequent runs which would goober the system. and not allow uninstall of said items. Partial "select/don't select" is available.

I would surmise that the "redistributable licenses" were inspected in UBCD and found wanting (not to mention the OS Product Key embedded). :puke:

edit:

Scratch that - UBCD indeed has the "additional WPI items" (last reboot or "autorun", which I believe is where you are in trouble).

Hang in there... when I get time, I'll look at the RP and KernelEX that you indicate and see if they can be "backed out".

FWIW, you COULD re-install "over-the-top" from the UBCD and see if that "fixes" you (basically overlaying the problem modules). You take your chances on doing that, tho. And (can't remember) you might have to reinstall any other software you had installed.

Edited by submix8c

edit:

Scratch that - UBCD indeed has the "additional WPI items" (last reboot or "autorun", which I believe is where you are in trouble).

Yes! and when i press Ctr+Alt+Del there is same problem And also for some dos boxes when they are trying to open.

FWIW, you COULD re-install "over-the-top" from the UBCD and see if that "fixes" you (basically overlaying the problem modules). You take your chances on doing that, tho. And (can't remember) you might have to reinstall any other software you had installed.

I am tried that re-installing 2-3 times but not solve the problem.