Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Wired Routers for Win98

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*
  • Guests

@dencorso: Doesn't using such a giant hosts file give a serious performance hit in name resolving actions? I don't think the name resolving system on W9x is designed to cope with such a database.

It's my experience that win-98 shows no performance loss when using large hosts files. And unless my recollection is hazy, I think I read somewhere that it might be that XP that has a problem with large hosts files. As for Spybot, it's best to download the hosts file of your choice (ie MVPS, etc) first before you run spybot. Spybot adds entries to your existing hosts file during it's inoculation process.

I have found on occasion that I have to temporarily deactivate my hosts file to make particular web sites work correctly. To deactivate your hosts file, simply rename it, and then open a new instance of your browser. Any browser window that's already open when you rename your hosts file will behave as if your hosts file is still there. I find that I can't properly post to kijiji unless I deactivate my hosts file. Don't know which entries are responsible.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

triger49

triger49

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
Yo Dencorso;

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I had been tinkering
with Hosts file for a couple weeks with limited success.

That download you listed did everything I was attempting
and a whole lot more including be able to use IE6 again
here on MSFN. :thumbup
No more page obliterating, dancing crap on Yahoo!

Also, a quote from the included readme file ...

"[Important Notice - 2K/XP/Vista/Win7 Users]
In most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs
in 2K/XP/Vista. Windows 98 and Windows ME are not affected"

Thanks
Jake

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,024 posts

triger49,

I hear you about Yahoo! All that animation was distracting, and it took forever to finish loading on my Win98. That's why I switched search engines to Google a few years ago. Much cleaner look and faster page loading.

Then I found out that Google doesn't exactly have a stellar record when it comes to privacy, so now I'm using Ixquick for my Web searches.

--JorgeA

triger49

triger49

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

triger49,

I hear you about Yahoo!
--JorgeA

Actually, there is a method to my madness...so to speak...

[Rant]

My wife's penchant for hording recipes may possibly be
without rival. I mean we're talking no dust on the book
shelves because dust could not find the shelves. Of course
this spilled over to Internet recipe sites and daily recipe
emails. Saving grace arrived in the form of Yahoo's unlimited
email accounts. Hence the regular visits to Yahoo.

While Google's reputation over privacy is a gray area, I
sometimes find myself thinking it would be cool to let
Google index this apartment...maybe I would find some stuff
that's been missing for years .. :blink:
[/Rant]

Jake

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,024 posts

Actually, there is a method to my madness...so to speak...

[Rant]

My wife's penchant for hording recipes may possibly be
without rival. I mean we're talking no dust on the book
shelves because dust could not find the shelves. Of course
this spilled over to Internet recipe sites and daily recipe
emails. Saving grace arrived in the form of Yahoo's unlimited
email accounts. Hence the regular visits to Yahoo.

While Google's reputation over privacy is a gray area, I
sometimes find myself thinking it would be cool to let
Google index this apartment...maybe I would find some stuff
that's been missing for years .. :blink:
[/Rant]

Jake

Jake,

That's terrible... and funny!!! :lol:

--JorgeA

the xt guy

the xt guy

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Donator

It's just as possible to use a large hosts file with 2K/XP as it is with 9x/Me, with no slowdown. My 2K box has a hosts file of about 4.5 megs, the identical file on 98 is about 3.7 megs. (Win2K uses 127.0.0.1, and 98 uses 0 or 0.0.0.0)

I'm using MDgx 's hosts file merged with an old hosts file I've been using for 10+ years.

triger49

triger49

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

It's just as possible to use a large hosts file with 2K/XP as it is with 9x/Me, with no slowdown. My 2K box has a hosts file of about 4.5 megs, the identical file on 98 is about 3.7 megs. (Win2K uses 127.0.0.1, and 98 uses 0 or 0.0.0.0)

I'm using MDgx 's hosts file merged with an old hosts file I've been using for 10+ years.

Hi;

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think
127.0.0.1 has been the standard loop back address ever
since the days of Dos....

Attached Files

lightning slinger

lightning slinger

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
Just about every answer to every question you could ask about hosts files including the pro and cons of using 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 on all OS's is discussed MDGx at http://www.mdgx.com/hosts.php

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,781 posts

Donator

Just about every answer to every question you could ask about hosts files including the pro and cons of using 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 on all OS's is discussed MDGx at http://www.mdgx.com/hosts.php

I was about to post just this, when I read your post! Way to go!
I must add, however, that I don't actually use MDGx's HOSTS files myself, because I find them way too much restrictive. I prefer the one I linked to some posts above, as the basis of my HOSTS file, and have been adding to it more addresses slowly. But for the in-depth explanation, MDGx's page is the best resource on the web, for sure.

@wsxedcrfv: one sure way of determining which cookies' URL's are needed for a specific site is to disable the HOSTS file, then use NirSoft's IECookesView to destroy all cookies, then access the desired site and do whatever you want to do there, and then return to IECookesView and jot down what was added. Then comment out those url's in the hosts file, enable it back again, test, and finally uncomment each url alone, to find out which are really needed. With patience you can determine precisely which urls are needed for that site and decide whether to leave them commented-out or not. I'm not sure whether IECookesView works with 9x/ME, because I've been doing this in XP, so this procedure needs to be tested under 9x/ME.

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

I was about to post just this, when I read your post! Way to go!
I must add, however, that I don't actually use MDGx's HOSTS files myself, because I find them way too much restrictive. I prefer the one I linked to some posts above, as the basis of my HOSTS file, and have been adding to it more addresses slowly. But for the in-depth explanation, MDGx's page is the best resource on the web, for sure.

@wsxedcrfv: one sure way of determining which cookies' URL's are needed for a specific site is to disable the HOSTS file, then use NirSoft's IECookesView to destroy all cookies, then access the desired site and do whatever you want to do there, and then return to IECookesView and jot down what was added. Then comment out those url's in the hosts file, enable it back again, test, and finally uncomment each url alone, to find out which are really needed. With patience you can determine precisely which urls are needed for that site and decide whether to leave them commented-out or not. I'm not sure whether IECookesView works with 9x/ME, because I've been doing this in XP, so this procedure needs to be tested under 9x/ME.

Just checking the Cookies generated by a site may not be sufficient to determine what Sites have to be unblocked. Necessary pages may not leave any Cookies.
I use a DNS logger to track activity and to adjust my Hosts File.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,781 posts

Donator

Just checking the Cookies generated by a site may not be sufficient to determine what Sites have to be unblocked. Necessary pages may not leave any Cookies.

Which DNS logger do you use? Is it another of your programs?
So far, cookie tracking has done the job fine for me, but if it's possible to be more thorough, I'm always interested.

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Which DNS logger do you use? Is it another of your programs?
So far, cookie tracking has done the job fine for me, but if it's possible to be more thorough, I'm always interested.

I wrote a fairly simple logger that prints out DMS requests.
I have used it on occassion to help determine what Hosts File entries should be added or deleted.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN