Boston BA735 USB Speakers With XP

dlsayremn

Computer is a Gateway Essential 667 that originaly had 98SE. Still want to get a few more years use out of it, so boughtt an XP Upgrade that had never been used for $65.

Installation of XP went fine.

Replaced the Intel 82801 AC'97 Audio Controller that XP loaded with the original Conexant Crystal WDM Controller. Analog sound works fine.

Had been using Boston BA735 USB Speakers with the 98SE install and would like to use them with the XP. Installed the Boston software whichis supposed to pull a digital signal off the sound card, but have not been able to get the speakers to work.

Has anyone been able to do this?

Plenty of posts about using the regular BA735 speakers. They just require a digital output.

Edited by dlsayremn

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/51455-boston-735-usb-speakers-realtek-ac97.html

the %\7507807\CABS\WIN2KINF folder and you should see the BAUSBHID.inf driver file. Install this one and none other.

In the "Sound" option in control panel make sure the Boston USB AUdio Device is set as the Default Device

cdod,

Thanks for the reply. was just coming in to report that I have the speakers working.

Found the 01/02/2010 post from premorob at "sevenforums" explaining how he did it with a WIN7 system using the 2K drivers from the Gateway 7507807.exe download. For some reason my computer wiil not extract those files. "These files are not compatible with your system".

However, I still have the install disc from Boston and on a hunch I checked it. There is a folder labeled WIN2000. Note says theses are the drivers needed for 2K and we are including them even though 2K has not been released yet I can almost forgive Boston for deleting the 735 USB files.

Anyway, hooked the speakers up and let XP install them. They were installed as a HID. Apparently XP does have some Boston HID drivers, but they don't work with the 735 USBs.

Went into Device Manager, HID, Boston HID and updated the driver to the 2K BAUSBHID.inf.

Soud is great. Just wish I could get the rest of the interface to work. Don't really need the GUI, but it would be nice to be able to change the voulme with the knob on the speaker.