Romance

Batchfiles

I was in a second-hand bookshop the other day and all of a sudden I had an insight.

In front of me was a huge pile of “Mills & Boon” romance novels and behind those a second mountain of similarly assorted love fables. Who reads these I wondered, and why? Obviously the vast majority of readers were women but why this overpowering interest in romance? After all, women aren’t romantic creatures! Men are the romantic ones not women! We do all the wooing and courting. We are the ones who bring the flowers and chocolates and organise candlelight dinners. We dote and praise and admire and mount on pedestals. So why do women read romance novels? It’s not because they are romantic themselves I think, it’s because they like to read about how romantic men are!

Do you agree?

Yes I agree men do read books about killing things and dream about World of Warcraft but men are also romantics. Its men who do romantic things. Its men who instigate romance. Women don’t do that! They just passively receive romance from men.

As hiyatran says there are two totally different mentalities. Men are actively romantic and as I said in my first post women just like to read about how romantic men are.

My contention then is that women aren’t romantic.

I agree there are exceptions to every rule but I'm talking of romance as an adjective here. In just the way it is used in the love story. The chivalry of wooing. The physics of wooing in fact. I know men sometimes take the mechanics of a partnership for granted but that is not what I mean by or understand romance to be; and should that partnership break down we start all over again. We go on to woo and romance another. Women don't in general do this. Men "romance" the ladies.

• 3 weeks later...

And once that happens most men stop wooing and romancing but women still want it.

Indeed, why conqueror her twice? :lol: Although, we have been finishing the same game twice before :blink: ...

Now I must say that what I read above mostly counts for "Western Culture" and not for the rest of the world :angel. now, also don't expect to understand women when you are a man. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Just read Ecclesiastes. It has all the answers you seek in life.

Here's a few pearls of wisdom:

Ecclesiastes 1

Everything Is Meaningless

1 The words of the Teacher,[a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:

2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”

says the Teacher.

“Utterly meaningless!

Everything is meaningless.”

3 What do people gain from all their labors

at which they toil under the sun?

4 Generations come and generations go,

but the earth remains forever.

5 The sun rises and the sun sets,

and hurries back to where it rises.

6 The wind blows to the south

and turns to the north;

round and round it goes,

ever returning on its course.

7 All streams flow into the sea,

yet the sea is never full.

To the place the streams come from,

there they return again.

8 All things are wearisome,

more than one can say.

The eye never has enough of seeing,

nor the ear its fill of hearing.

9 What has been will be again,

what has been done will be done again;

there is nothing new under the sun.

10 Is there anything of which one can say,

“Look! This is something new”?

It was here already, long ago;

it was here before our time.

11 No one remembers the former generations,

and even those yet to come

will not be remembered

by those who follow them.

Wisdom Is Meaningless

12 I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

15 What is crooked cannot be straightened;

what is lacking cannot be counted.

16 I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” 17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;

the more knowledge, the more grief.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading