Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Opera 10.6 Beta Doesn't Start

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

fortcollins

fortcollins

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 26-November 08
I installed Opera 10.60 beta, builds 3413, 3422, and 3426. None would start. I got a message "Failed to load opera.dll because: a dynamic link libary initialization routine failed."

Two posters on the Opera development team blog reported the same problem. Both were also running Win 98.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Has anyone got it to run?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05
Yes, I have Opera 10.60 beta (build 3422) and it running without problem.

Btw, I've used a classic installer and that was a clean installation.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

Yes, I have Opera 10.60 beta (build 3422) and it running without problem.

Btw, I've used a classic installer and that was a clean installation.

Do you have KernelEx installed? I am asking because I just tried to disable KernelEx extensions for Opera 10.60 (which is upgraded over old install and is my default browser) and it fails to start with the error message mentioned by the OP after I have done this.

Opera.dll has no missing static dependencies and profiling it with Dependency Walker does not seem to yeld much clue as to what is wrong.

Well anyway installing KernelEx could solve the OP's problems if the Opera team doesn't do anything about it. (They don't seem too interested with fixing Windows 98/ME issues it seems to me unfortunately).

Edited by loblo, 18 June 2010 - 04:10 AM.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05
Yes, I have KernelEx installed (4.5 Beta 2).

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
The main thing to do is tweak Opera to its full capability til it works the best
because Win98 is getting killed all over!

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,017 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Read here:
http://www.msfn.org/...era-105-on-98se

jaclaz

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
the new opera asks to replace the Msimg32.dll with the one from ME. is there newer a file i can use? i seems to work just fine.

EdR

EdR
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 07-April 10
You can get the latest (or at least one that works) msimg32.dll at this web site.....

http://www.helpy.com...-download/m.htm

I would recommend you rename the old one and keep it before you copy the new one just in case you find a problem....I have had no problem using this one on an original Win98 system....

Ed.R.

EdR

EdR
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 07-April 10
P.S. Please post if 10.6 runs for you......I'm running 10.54 with no problems but have not yet tried 10.6

Ed.R.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10
10.60 only runs if KernelEx is installed on your system. Currently using 10.60 RC3 Build 3545 (latest so far) as my default browser.

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
10.60 runs for me with out kernel sanders. lately it locks up more often i think if i let it sit long enough it works. i might down grade to 10.54. or switch to FF3.0 but, i'm guess opera uses less ram?

Edited by cdoublejj, 30 June 2010 - 02:36 PM.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05

P.S. Please post if 10.6 runs for you......I'm running 10.54 with no problems but have not yet tried 10.6

Ed.R.

I have Opera 10.60 RC2 (build 3444) and I don't see any serious problem (not too much tests, honestly).

Btw, loblo, you've build 3445.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

Btw, loblo, you've build 3445.

Yes, this is it, my mistake, and it runs flawlessly but I don't seem to be able to run it without KernelEx unlike 10.54.

10.60 runs for me with out kernel sanders. lately it locks up more often i think if i let it sit long enough it works. i might down grade to 10.54. or switch to FF3.0 but, i'm guess opera uses less ram?

Are you running Opera 10.60 on Windows 98 or ME? 

Edited by loblo, 30 June 2010 - 04:47 PM.

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
Why the lovely 98SE with all the updates from the Ms.

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08
Opera 10.60 final has been released today!

Downwload: http://www.opera.com/browser/download/

Opera 10.60 for Windows changelog: http://www.opera.com...s/windows/1060/

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

Why the lovely 98SE with all the updates from the Ms.

Ok, guys, anyone running Opera 10.60 successfully without having KernelEx installed apart from cdoublejj? 

fortcollins

fortcollins

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 26-November 08
Someone opened up a Win 98 thread on the Opera Desktop forum:

http://my.opera.com/...#comment6066462

I understand Win 98 has many more users than some of the MAC and Linux versions Opera supports. The people at Opera need to hear that people still are using 98 to contradict the popular perception that no one uses it anymore.

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
turns out mine is 10.54 i could have swore the web site just said 10.60 maybe it was just rounded.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Someone opened up a Win 98 thread on the Opera Desktop forum:

http://my.opera.com/...#comment6066462

I understand Win 98 has many more users than some of the MAC and Linux versions Opera supports. The people at Opera need to hear that people still are using 98 to contradict the popular perception that no one uses it anymore.

That would have been me!
:)
The first reply was very nice and helpful, NOT!
:angry:
Whether Opera will respond on this I doubt.
I really don't want to have to have two different versions of Opera installed for Windows 98 and Windows XP on my dual boot machine (as I've had to do with many other applications as Windows 98 support has been dropped) so I will consider finally installing KernelEx, which will fix this I hope.
:)

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,194 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Since you lived without it up to now, I'd say wait for KernelEx 4.5 beta 3, which is due to be released shortly:

New version won't be released at least until next month because I'm *very* busy right now and have no time for KernelEx.
Next version will include the following changes:
* fixed GTA: San Andreas crash
* working latest Flash Player Plugin 10.1
* platform version check and resource limit check re-enabled when KernelEx extensions are disabled
* fixed compatibility problem with VDub reported by xrayer
* ... more to come ...

...Because of the added ability to deal with the latest Flash.

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08
Opera 10.60 is running fine with KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2 here.

I have got a big speed improvement in Peacekeeper browser test since version 10.54. :thumbup

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
so kernel ex doesn't make 98 use more ram or cpu speed. is it just set of files new programs are dependent on?

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08

so kernel ex doesn't make 98 use more ram or cpu speed. is it just set of files new programs are dependent on?

Yes, it just enables some new programs. No, it not just set of files. It patches Kernel32.dll and implement some APIs that are not implemented in Windows 98. You cannot achieve such effect just by adding/replacing some files with newer ones (because newer ones from MS, where these APIs are implemented, are created for newer Windows systems and will not work on Windows 98).

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10
Yes it patches kernel32.dll but this is very minimal, just a few bytes I think, all the actual code being in the new dlls it installs.

If you want to disable KernelEx from running at all after it's installed, you can just delete its startup registry key under MPRServices and the systerm will run on next boot as a normal unpatched system despite Kernel32 being patched, the patch of Kernel32 just provides an entry point for the new dlls as I understand it and doesn't affect its normal functionality if the KerneEx files aren't present or initialized.

cdoublejj

cdoublejj

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
interesting, it makes me wonder about different things like running newer anti virus. or if it affects patches sounds like a fully patched 98se is required first wich i have. i wonder how ram hungery the newer internet browsers are?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users