Dual boot Windows XP on a Pre-installed Windows 7 Netbook

kachibi

So here's an overview of the situation:

- I have a Pre-installed Windows 7 starter edition Professional Edition on my netbook (HP Mini 311-1000CA).

- I want to dual-boot with Windows XP

- I have made a boot-able USB for Windows 7 and XP

Here are the instructions I have found:

1) Make an empty partition on Windows 7

2) Format to NTFS

3) Restart and boot from Windows XP USB

4) Install Windows XP onto the empty partition

... At this point, I believe XP will overwrite my Windows 7 bootloader, and boot straight into Windows XP...

5) Restore Windows 7 to fix the bootloader

6) Repair Windows 7 (People have complained that both Windows 7 and XP failed to boot after this)

7) Use a program like EasyBCD to add fix the bootloader to be able to boot both XP and Windows 7 (People have also complained that EasyBCD couldn't detect Windows XP)

8) Set default to Windows 7 (well I want my default to be Windows 7, I need XP to run certain games)

I know it's better to install XP first then Windows 7. However, I don't want to reinstall everything I have on my Windows 7 :(.

So, is there a better way to do this?

On a site note: Would I encounter any problems having a dual booted 7/XP? (I've read that XP might mess with my system restore on Windows 7)

Edited by kachibi

If you got a netbook with Windows 7 Starter, you should have the recovery option. You can see it by pressing F8 during boot. If this also exists, it may complicate your quest, especially if you want to leave that partition and functionality intact.

I just found out Microsoft brought back to student deal for Windows 7 Pro Upgrade($40) - I'm downloading the ISO as I type this.

If all is correct, I will actually have a recovery option for Windows 7 now.

Is it convenient (or possible) to dual boot XP with an existing Windows 7 (Pro)?

Also, I've edited my first post to be easier on the eyes.

Edited by kachibi

All check :)!

I have all the appropriate drivers, including the ones needed for XP to detect the hard drive (someone kindly posted it online).

So I can reach that blue installation screen where I pick my partition - I'm just scared to continue.

For the record: I have an HP Mini 311

All check :)!

I have all the appropriate drivers, including the ones needed for XP to detect the hard drive (someone kindly posted it online).

So I can reach that blue installation screen where I pick my partition - I'm just scared to continue.

For the record: I have an HP Mini 311

I dont know anything bout the driver availability.

But look for sevenforums, they have great tutorial for dual boot.

In XP, download and install .Net Framework 2.0 (32-bit) verison or .Net Framework 2.0 (64-bit) version and EasyBCD for your 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x86) XP.

NOTE: In XP, Net Framework is required to be installed to run the free program EasyBCD.

How to use EasyBCD

1. In the bottom right section under Add and Entry, type Microsoft Windows XP (name displayed in Windows Boot Manager) for the Name.

NOTE: You can type whatever name you would like to have displayed in the Windows Boot Manager for XP though.

a. If you have a 100mb System Reserved partition with Windows 7, then right click it in Disk Management and give it a drive letter ( S is a good choice). Then select the letter you assigned (ex: S ) in the EasyBCD Drive drop down menu.

OR

b. If you don't have a 100mb System Reserved partition with Windows 7, then select the drive letter (ex: C: ) that Windows 7 is installed on from the Drive drop down menu in EasyBCD.

2. To the right of Type, select Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3 from the drop down menu.

3. Click on the Add Entry button. (See attachment PicA1)

4. You will now notice that this has added Microsoft Windows XP to the upper right section. Click on the Save button. (See attachment PicA2)

5. In the upper right section under Bootloader Installer Options, select (dot) Reinstall the Vista Bootloader, then click on the Write MBR button. (attachment PicA3)

6. Close EasyBCD.

7. Restart the computer to have the option to boot from XP or Windows 7.

All credits goes to Brink member of www.sevenforums.com

post-292740-127719434256_thumb.jpg

Edited by viruzth