Win 7 Extremely slow file copy operations

Lightbringer-

Since upgrading to win7, I have been plagued by an extremely slow file copy operations while copying files in different HD/removable drives. Copy starts normally and quickly slows down to 1mb/s or even to kb/s speed at times. On removable drives, it can result in failure to copy.

Ive tried different things to correct this and tried to use "fastcopy" as an alternative copier. So far, I've had no luck fixing this issue. I suspect it might be that my PSU is not giving enough juice to my hardware? Expert advice needed on what to do!

Cheers and ty.

"different HD/removable drives" --- leaves many many configurations

does this behavior occur when copying items from the HD to a different location on that same HD?

What about when copying from a removable device to another location on that same removable device?

@iamthekey: Drive to drive(removable included) copying is fast...

When I copy files to my 1TB HD (secondary), it sometimes stop getting recognised to WIN7 and I have to reboot. The drive is 100% working and is on nearly 24/7 and I download/copy to it daily. So I assume that the problem is with file copy

operations.

@cluberti: yes it happens with other copiers too. Tried teracopy also.

Hmmm - are you seeing issues only on this machine with that drive (for example)? Usually a Windows problem happens only with explorer, but if it's happening with something like TeraCopy it's either filter drivers (antivirus, firewall, etc) or hardware issues.

I have ruled out hardware issues as it happens in different drives copy operations only. The HDD (including removable ones) other than the primary HD stops getting recognised or file transfer goes abysmally slow. Using windows built in firewall and microsoft security essentials...

Ill try disabling security essentials and see how it goes...

Either that, or configure the entire system for a full memory dump, reboot, then get it into a position where it's really, really slow again and crash the box with (right)CTRL+SCROLL+SCROLL on the keyboard (assuming you've got a PS/2 keyboard attached, or this is a laptop, for this to work). The resulting .dmp file is likely to shed light on what's happening.

Did that memory dump thingy...It created a BSOD screen indicating that I initiated the dumping procedure...Upon reboot there is no .dmp file I can find...Searched PC for it and there was none...

Any clues what to do now?

Edited by Lightbringer-

You have to make sure your paging file is on the same drive letter as the Windows folder, it must be min and max RAM+64MB (at least), and once that's configured you have to reboot before it'll work. Did you do all that? It's the only reason I can think of why it wouldn't have put memory.dmp into \Windows\.

Paging is set on OS drive. I got 2gb RAM so I set my paging to 2150MB. Rebooted to activate settings and did the crash dump thingy. No .dmp file anywhere. Maybe some i/o conflict?? At times, when burning dvds, it stops recognising the dvd burner too and I have to reboot....Burner is brand new. No issues whatsoever under XP...

Hmmm - very odd. When you go into system properties, on the Advanced tab, click the "Settings" button in the Startup And Recovery section - uncheck "Automatically restart", and reboot. See if it creates a .dmp file (the BSOD should say "writing physical memory to disk" and count to 100 if it's working). Want to make sure your machine isn't rebooting prematurely (you'll have to physically power off and back on once it completes writing the file to disk at the BSOD, of course).

Hmmm - very odd. When you go into system properties, on the Advanced tab, click the "Settings" button in the Startup And Recovery section - uncheck "Automatically restart", and reboot. See if it creates a .dmp file (the BSOD should say "writing physical memory to disk" and count to 100 if it's working). Want to make sure your machine isn't rebooting prematurely (you'll have to physically power off and back on once it completes writing the file to disk at the BSOD, of course).

Did that and will reboot PC when I get back from work and dump my memory contents again...In the meanwhile, someone mentioned an alternative copier that does not use windows API...Know/Ever heard of one?

Thanks for all your input for troubleshooting this problem.

It "saved" the memory dump but upon manual rebooting no files could be found...Grrrr Any clue on how to fix this?