Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Silent install of office 2010

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
Not sure if this has already been posted...

http://blogs.technet...ffice-2010.aspx

So I created a little folder on C: called “Office” (Did I mention I’m not very creative with my folder names?) and ran

en_office_professional_plus_2010_x86_515486.exe /extract:C:\Office

Giving me after a few seconds of a progress bar my familiar old friend the install folder. Please note, if you have the DVD, you can just go ahead and copy the Files but presently we Technet/MSDN users have a giant executable

Next you need to create a file at the root of that folder called “Custom.XML”. Now you can get a SAMPLE of it online at Technet’s Config.XML Technical Reference . It’s right near the bottom. But if you look in the mail folder under the root ending .WW like this picture here

You’ll find there is copy sitting right inside there. Just to save you some time I found a few things about that file (and why It didn’t work for me the first time)

Lines beginning with “<! -–“ and ending with “ ––>” are comments. Everything in between is just eye Candy until you get rid of the comments.

Don’t just uncomment everything. Doesn’t work. You’ll have a silent install launching and caching data and doing nothing. Well nothing except eat up CPU cycles.

Simplicity is best. Start with some SMALL automating (like the Company Name / User Name) and work your way up. Makes troubleshooting the first time easier.

But here’s what I found, I only needed about 6 lines to make it all work. Best of all? It’s takes NOTHING (I mean NOTHING) to carry that Config.XML file to another Office Product and change it for that Product.

All you need are two pieces of info, The Product Name and the Product Key. One is easy to find, it’s stuck on the box or with the OEM pack. The other is found by looking into that magic .WW folder. Inside there is another .XML file called “SETUP.XML”. Open that with Notepad or your choice of editor for Text Based file and look for the line marked <Setup Id=”ProPlusr” Type (yadda yadda yadda doo dah)

That part between the quotes is your ProductID (Professional Plus Retail, Visio etc)

So with THIS simple XML file (Yes, I’m going to save you the nasty work)

------- Begin Custom.XML ------

<Configuration Product="VisioR">
<Display Level="Basic" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />
<USERNAME Value="MyUserName" />
<COMPANYNAME Value="MyCompanyName" />
<OptionState Id="ProductFiles" State="local" Children="force" />
<PIDKEY Value="AAAAABBBBBCCCCCDDDDDEEEEE" />
</Configuration>

-------- End Custom.XML -------

This is for Visio (as can be seen by the first line

“<Configuration Product=”VisioR”>

This is the line you need to edit for whichever Office Product you are installing

The line marked

<Display Level="Basic" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

Controls just how much information gets thrown at the user. In this case it’s Basic (Status Bar), No completion Notice with the EULA Accepted and Errors hidden away

These Two fields are pretty self explanatory and no, you don’t need to have them in.

<USERNAME Value="MyUserName" />
<COMPANYNAME Value="MyCompanyName" />

This line marked “OptionState”

<OptionState Id="ProductFiles" State="local" Children="force" />

Will identify the options you’re going to install. You can find several examples of these “OptionID” inside SETUP.XML But I found this one (the Root) the most useful. In a nutshell I have selected “Install ALL of it”. I like to keep this simple.

Of course this is the most important line, the Product Key.

<PIDKEY Value="AAAAABBBBBCCCCCDDDDDEEEEE" />

Replace the part between the quotes with your 25 digit product key WITHOUT the “-“ (Hyphens)

If you choose to NOT have the Product key entered, I recommend changing the “Basic” to “Full” under <Display Level="Basic"

It won’t be a true “silent install” but it’s only Two clicks of a mouse which isn’t bad.

If you’re running an OEM or RETAIL key on the install and WANT a silent install you’ll have to delete the subkeys BELOW this registry key on each workstation to prompt the user for the Key upon startup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Registration\

That should prompt for a new Key upon startup of Office

But honestly? Look into a Volume License copy of Office and Windows anyhow. There are some great advantages with it (Like the ability to just have ONE deploy point and image and the Office 2010 Customization tool. That Tool can take your Silent deploys to a whole Nudda level!)

But there you have it. Office 2010. East to deploy with just one file.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

pjrg

pjrg
  • 1 posts
Thank you very much for this! :thumbup

I was wondering how can i integrate an Office 2010 Language Pack in the Original Office 2010 English ISO? So that the new ISO becomes in other Language? :unsure:

WildKat

WildKat

Life No'9

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
Would be interesting for patches as well. Has anyone noticed that there hasnt been any patches released via Windows update for Office 2010 x64.. or is it just me?
--> Wild-Kat <--

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,767 posts
This is SUPER helpfull!

theasc

theasc
  • 5 posts
I have silently installed Office 2010 on our Terminalserver, when a User starts Office he get asked about Office updates and activation.
Is there a way to suppress this for instance with a GPO?
I have the Office 2010.ADM Files but I didn't find something about that.

shhgabay

shhgabay
  • 6 posts
i dont understand nothing

myselfidem

myselfidem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Thank you very much for this! :thumbup

I was wondering how can i integrate an Office 2010 Language Pack in the Original Office 2010 English ISO? So that the new ISO becomes in other Language? :unsure:

Hello!

You can do that and find help here:

Deploying Additional Languages

It's for Office 2007, but I think it's the same method for Office 2010!
Only the value inside "config.xml" for Office 2010 is a little different and like this (no reboot):

<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="NEVER" />

For Office 2007 (no reboot):

<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="NEVER" />

Cheers

Edited by myselfidem, 22 November 2010 - 07:23 AM.

For Windows 7 OS: SetProductKey.rar (fr-FR/en-US. Integrate keys).

myselfidem

myselfidem

• 2,559 posts

i dont understand nothing

Hello!
Help here:Config.xml file in Office 2010
At first, customize your "config.xml" file inside the right folder Office 2010
(example French version:C:\Office14\ProPlusr.WW\config.xml):

Example for Office Professional Plus 2010

CONFIG.XML

<Configuration Product="ProPlusr">
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />
<Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Professional Plus Setup(*).txt" />
<PIDKEY Value="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />
<USERNAME Value="Full Name" />
<USERINITIALS Value="Initials" />
<COMPANYNAME Value="My company" />
<INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" />
<!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> -->
<LIS SOURCELIST="%systemdrive%\Office14" />
<DistributionPoint Location="%systemdrive%\Office14" />
<!-- <OptionState Id="ACCESSFiles" State="Absent" Children="force" /> -->
<!-- <OptionState Id="OptionID" State="absent" Children="force" /> -->
<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="NEVER" />
<Command Path="%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe" Args="/i %systemdrive%\Office14\ProPlusr.WW\ProPlusrWW.msi" QuietArg="/qn" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" />
</Configuration>

The values inside <!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> -->
aren't installed!

And after it's done you can create a batch file to launch the unattended installation (no windows displayed):

@echo off
start /Wait %systemdrive%\Office14\SETUP.EXE /config %systemdrive%\Office14\ProPlusr.WW\CONFIG.XML
exit

Cheers

*Edit: Example for Office Profesionnal Plus 2010 MSDN version

Edited by myselfidem, 22 November 2010 - 07:39 AM.

manikant

manikant

• 32 posts
What to do if i want only the silent installation of Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Outlook
Posted Image

myselfidem

myselfidem

• 2,559 posts

What to do if i want only the silent installation of Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Outlook

You can also find more help here:

http://www.msfn.org/...d-make-it-lite/

digital john

digital john

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
hi, nice example for office 2010,
but inside my office 2010 x64 no config.xml.
i also looked inside ProPlusrWW.xml, so where shoud i start?

Edited by digital john, 22 May 2011 - 05:59 AM.

myselfidem

myselfidem

• 2,559 posts

hi, nice example for office 2010,
but inside my office 2010 x64 no config.xml.
i also looked inside ProPlusrWW.xml, so where shoud i start?

Weird!!!

More info:
http://technet.micro...y/cc179195.aspx

Extract:

The Config.xml file is used to configure installation tasks and is used only when you run Setup. Config.xml is not installed or cached on users' computers.
Administrators can edit the Config.xml file to customize the installation. By default, the Config.xml file that is stored in the core product folders (core_product_folder_name.WW folder; for example, ProPlus.WW) directs Setup to install that product.
For example, the Config.xml file in the ProPlus.WW folder installs Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

Help:
http://technet.micro...y/cc179132.aspx

digital john

digital john

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
thanx for info myself :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN