Google Street View Now Requires Flash Player v. 10; AdBlock Plus

frogman

Guest wsxedcrfv

I've had it with Windows 98, I will be purchasing a new custom built computer soon with Windows 7.

You won't like it.

I have tried as much patching this old system, but I do think the time has come to upgrade it.

Why don't you build a new system from scratch? Use a recent motherboard that is known to have good win-98 driver support.

By the way the modified driver didn't work after I removed the KernelEx and went back to Firefox 2.

As far as youtube and google streetview, the modified flash DLL continues to works fine for me. One thing: I did change the flash version in my registry, as I mentioned in the first post I made earlier in this thread. That alone did not work by itself, but perhaps it's necessary when used in conjunction with the modified dll.

It won't be long before all AV vendors drop their support for 98, Avast being one of them.

I don't know why you bother with AV and firewall software for win98. I've said many times that there is no practical use for that software on a win-98 system any more, and hasn't been for the past 4 years. And I've said that updates to NAV 2002 are available from Symantec, so NAV 2002 continues to be a viable AV for a win-98 system. You just need to update your root certificates to install the definition updates, and update your windows scripting engine.

I've had it with Windows 98, I will be purchasing a new custom built computer soon with Windows 7.

My take on Windows 98 and Windows 7 comparisons remind me of a quote by Albert Einstein;

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

:whistle:

Edited by lightning slinger

You won't like it.

Why won't I like it?

I know people that have it and don't have all this hassle trying to view stuff that 98 seems to not be able to do without patches for this and that.

Guest wsxedcrfv

Update windows scripting engine, sorry but unsure what you mean?

Go to google and search for "windows scripting engine" (no quotes). The correct term is actually Windows Scripting (or script?) Host. If you haven't found a good reference, then look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Script_Host#Version_history

Look at the version description for Windows ME. I believe that is the version you should install if you want to keep your win-98 system as up-to-date and compatible as possible with new(er) software, especially the installation mechanism of new(er) software. That scripting host is available via Mgdx or most other win-98 update packs.

I don't think that the newest version of WSH that *will* run on win-98 was ever offered to win-98 systems via Microsoft WindowsUpdate - maybe someone else will confirm that.

Edited by wsxedcrfv

My NPSWF32.dll (10.0.12.36) is 3.6 mb in size. The 10.1.53.64 version is 5.8 mb. I'm going to see if the 10.0.12.36 version will run on a win-98 system without kernelEx.

Did you manage to run it without KernelEx on a win-98 system?

I have to give credit to wsxedcrfv, as I followed his instruction by renaming the 2 instances of flash 9 to version 10, this I didn't perform previously and now street view works without the need for KernelEx and having to update browsers.

So just to say that the renaming in regedit has to be done as the man says.

Thanks again wsxedcrfv, I may have to keep 98 after all.

Mind you some of the stuff you talk about is well over my head, perhaps you could teach me many things computer wise.

PS,

I hope that google street view works for some time as I tried it for a test and the message appeared about needing flash 10, I was about to scream, but when I opened the browser again it worked the second time, I wonder why it appeared to be intermittent?

Something tells me though that when the Adobe message appears after a cold boot that asks you to download a new version of flash, that is when I think a change occurs, and that is when street view may perhaps not work again.

Perhaps we can all report back our findings on this.

Edited by frogman

I report the Google Street View is still working on my 98 machine after using the modded driver method and renaming the 2 instances of flash 9 in the registry.

I want to ask something about the KernelEx, and that is when it's un-installed, there is a message that comes up saying do you want to preserve any custom settings, I selected NO, but if I had selected YES, would that therefore mean the next time I installed KernelEx it would remember the last configuration?

By un-installing and saying NO does this mean that all changes made to the system by KernelEx have now been removed and the Kernel back to how it was previously?

Guest wsxedcrfv

I report the Google Street View is still working on my 98 machine after using the modded driver method and renaming the 2 instances of flash 9 in the registry.

The following observations were made using Firefox 2.0.0.20 on a win-98se system. Changing the flash version number in the registry is not necessary when using the modded flash DLL (NPSWF32.dll). Transplanting version 10.0.12.36 of NPSWF32.dll into a system that does not have KernelEx does not work (no flash content is rendered). The modded DLL works for google street view and youtube, but does not work when trying to view *any* flash video on msnbc.com, even if the browser user-agent string is completely spoofed to appear as a Win-XP system running Firefox 3.x.

As an additional mod, the "Windows 98/ME" string was changed to "Windows XP" in the modded NPSWF32.dll, but msnbc.com video remained unplayable. The string change did appear to be recognized by Adobe's Flash-tester and version-reporter web page, indicating that the system was running Windows XP (changing the browser user-agent string alone was not sufficient).

Conclusions:

1) KernelEx (version 3.6 and probably higher) combined with Flash 10 (version 10.0.12.36 and possibly higher) seem to work fine on win-98se systems running Firefox 2.0.0.20 as far as rendering flash video content from all sources.

2) Modifying flash DLL version 9.0.277.0 to appear as 10.0.45.2 is probably the only solution to allow Google StreetView to function properly on a non-KernelEx win-98se machine. This modification does not function when trying to view any video content on MSNBC.com and possibly (or probably) other yet-to-be-discovered sites.

Well all I can say is Google Street View didn't work until I renamed the 2 instances of version 9 in the registry then replacing them with 10 the google street view worked on FF 2.0.0.20

I have now found other flash sites to work, so if it happens to be the odd site like MSNBC.com that doesn't work then I can live with that I suppose.

You never really answered the question on why I won't like Windows 7?

I do disagree with wsxedcrfv. I think you're gonna love Win 7.

In my understanding, using 9x/ME nowadays is solely for those that:

(1) Cannot afford to upgrade;

or

(2) Love tweaking/configuring/messing around with 9x/ME and can have a great time therefrom or simply love 9x/ME.

You don't seem to belong to either group. To me it's clear you'd love to be using an OS that simply worked, for a change. Well, Win 7 fits the bill nicely. IMHO, you should go for it. I'm sure you'll never regret the move.

You never really answered the question on why I won't like Windows 7?

I do disagree with wsxedcrfv. I think you're gonna love Win 7.

In my understanding, using 9x/ME nowadays is solely for those that:

(1) Cannot afford to upgrade;

or

(2) Love tweaking/configuring/messing around with 9x/ME and can have a great time therefrom or simply love 9x/ME.

You don't seem to belong to either group. To me it's clear you'd love to be using an OS that simply worked, for a change. Well, Win 7 fits the bill nicely. IMHO, you should go for it. I'm sure you'll never regret the move.

Thank you so much, I have seen Windows 7 and it looks really nice.

Can I ask you something about it, is it wise to go for 32 or 64 bit?

I ask as I would like some or all of my programs I currently use on my Windows 98 SE machine to work on Windows 7.

Also, does it come with Office, Excel & Word etc plus Microsoft Outlook? or will I need to ask the chap that will custom build it to add these for me?

By the way I think you have me thought of correctly as all I want is a system that works with the least of trouble, I really can't be bothered using solutions all the time to get things to work.

The following observations were made using Firefox 2.0.0.20 on a win-98se system. Changing the flash version number in the registry is not necessary when using the modded flash DLL (NPSWF32.dll). Transplanting version 10.0.12.36 of NPSWF32.dll into a system that does not have KernelEx does not work (no flash content is rendered). The modded DLL works for google street view and youtube, but does not work when trying to view *any* flash video on msnbc.com, even if the browser user-agent string is completely spoofed to appear as a Win-XP system running Firefox 3.x.

As an additional mod, the "Windows 98/ME" string was changed to "Windows XP" in the modded NPSWF32.dll, but msnbc.com video remained unplayable. The string change did appear to be recognized by Adobe's Flash-tester and version-reporter web page, indicating that the system was running Windows XP (changing the browser user-agent string alone was not sufficient).

Conclusions:

1) KernelEx (version 3.6 and probably higher) combined with Flash 10 (version 10.0.12.36 and possibly higher) seem to work fine on win-98se systems running Firefox 2.0.0.20 as far as rendering flash video content from all sources.

2) Modifying flash DLL version 9.0.277.0 to appear as 10.0.45.2 is probably the only solution to allow Google StreetView to function properly on a non-KernelEx win-98se machine. This modification does not function when trying to view any video content on MSNBC.com and possibly (or probably) other yet-to-be-discovered sites.

If a solution does come about for this I am prepared to give it a go that will allow Google Street View and most other Flash sites to work and not just some. Do you think that will happen though?

Thank you so much, I have seen Windows 7 and it looks really nice.

Can I ask you something about it, is it wise to go for 32 or 64 bit?

I ask as I would like some or all of my programs I currently use on my Windows 98 SE machine to work on Windows 7.

Also, does it come with Office, Excel & Word etc plus Microsoft Outlook? or will I need to ask the chap that will custom build it to add these for me?

By the way I think you have me thought of correctly as all I want is a system that works with the least of trouble, I really can't be bothered using solutions all the time to get things to work.

32-bit won't be around for much longer. If you want to really be synched to the spirit of the time, I'd say 64-bit is the way to go. Now, with 32-bit you've got a better chance to have most of your current programs working without upgrading them too. And yes, you'll need to ask for MS Office, also. It's not part of Win 7. Now, I'm no expert in Win 7, so I suggest you use the Windows 7 forum to further enquire about it. The people there is much more knowledgeable about it than I'll ever be.