Need Help With Windows Updates That Won't Install

highbids

I've been trying to install some updates that microsoft says I need and

they won't install after they download.

Most of the updates are .Net for 2 & 3.5 and maybe some others.

I turn off the computer & the updates look like there installing but

they don't & windows reminds me again & it starts all over.

Are you using automatic updates or Windows Update? See if this applies.

You receive error 0x643 or 0x80070643 when you try to install the .NET Framework updates by using Windows Update or Microsoft Update

I've tred both it says I still need SP3 i'm running windows xp pro Is there anywhere to download

SP3 directly instead of online only.

Are you using automatic updates or Windows Update? See if this applies.

You receive error 0x643 or 0x80070643 when you try to install the .NET Framework updates by using Windows Update or Microsoft Update

I've been trying to install some updates that microsoft says I need and

they won't install after they download.

Most of the updates are .Net for 2 & 3.5 and maybe some others.

I turn off the computer & the updates look like there installing but

they don't & windows reminds me again & it starts all over.

The OP is talking about KB982524, KB982168 and KB979909...

They do get installed, all right, and if one looks in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel Applet one'll find listed:

KB976765, KB980773, KB979909 and KB976576, listed under "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2", while KB976769 (listed as "KB976769v2") and KB977354 appear under "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2".

Those are the updates installed by KB982524 (contains KB976576 and KB977354), KB982168 (contains KB976765, KB980773 and KB976769) and KB979909. There they are.

Now the problem is that, while they actually are installed, something is missing either from the registry or from some other log, so that the Windows Update system doesn't find afterwards any indication that they actually are installed and, then, offers to install them all over again. This is probably due to misbehaving (buggy) installers that fail to log appropriately the successful installation properly.

I do remember that this kind of thing happened before, with some other .NET update, perhaps last year, and there was a simple registy edit or some tweak like that that resolved the problem by telling Windows Update they already are installed. Do any of you all remember what was it that must be done? I've searched around the internet, but all I'm finding are instructions on "how to remove and reinstall all versions of the .NET Framework" as a solution, which is preposterous, to say the least.

To all interested: keep your cool: the updates are getting installed. The Windows Update system is the one that's refusing to find them out again, when it checks for them once again. BTW, in the MSKB, there is KB910339, but it offers no usable solution for the case of an obviously misbehaving (buggy) installer.

Not always, but in this case, likely. You might want to see if you have any *other* .net updates for the runtime in question that are newer than any of these, as not all .net updates like installing when newer updates are already installed (see 974417 as an example). Sometimes removing all of the updates that are failing, and any new ones, and then reinstalling in KB-chronological order will fix things. Not saying that's what is happening here, but it seems at least a possibility.

KB982168.exe is a bit tricky. I solved the problem by extracting the three .msp files from inside the package. Two are meant for .NET 2.0 SP2, and one is for .NET 3.0 SP2. This last one is the one causing problems, If you try to install it manually, it will ask for Netfx30a_x86.msi . I got it from the .NET 3.5 SP1 full package (extraction again), pointed it to the folder and everything went well. I also had to do the same thing with NDP30SP2-KB982524-x86.exe.

Hope that helps

Thanks, Sp0iLedBrAt! :thumbup I've tried installing them directly from the .msps, but that didn't work for me either. They do show under Add/Remove and say the install was successful, but, by comparing the versions of the files in the updates with those on the system, I've ascertained that KB976576, KB980773, KB979909 and KB976765 actually didn't install at all. There are reports elsewhere that not even the remove-.NET-and-reinstall trick works to solve this issue, so I decided not to attempt it. Instead, I installed manually KB980773, KB979909 and KB976765, by replacing just the executable files, and it worked, since Windows Update stopped offering me KB982168 and KB979909, but kept offering me KB982524 (because I hadn't installed KB976576, which is part of it). Now, KB976576, despite being marked NDP20SP2, actually contains files from the .NET Framework 4.0, which I hadn't installed in the system, so it wasn't possible to just update files which older versions didn't exist on the system. I then tried to install KB976576.msp once more, to no avail. Then I decided to install the optional update KB982670, which is the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile and contains all the files in KB976576 (plus other files), and that worked! On comparison, the files in KB982670 that also exist in (the QFE branch of) KB976576 have the exact same versions, and are the exact same executables, but contain newer Digital Signatures. And Windows Update stopped offering me KB982524, at long last! So, it was labor intensive, but this is the solution that worked for me. :yes:

• 2 years later...

KB982168.exe is a bit tricky. I solved the problem by extracting the three .msp files from inside the package. Two are meant for .NET 2.0 SP2, and one is for .NET 3.0 SP2. This last one is the one causing problems, If you try to install it manually, it will ask for Netfx30a_x86.msi . I got it from the .NET 3.5 SP1 full package (extraction again), pointed it to the folder and everything went well. I also had to do the same thing with NDP30SP2-KB982524-x86.exe.

Hope that helps.

KB982168.exe is really tricky. It does contain three .msp files from inside the package. Two are meant for .NET 2.0 SP2 (namely: NDP20SP2-KB976765.msp and NDP20SP2-KB980773.msp) which install without causing any problem, from either the GDRGDR or the QFEGDR cabs, indifferently. The last one NDP30SP2-KB976769.msp is a different case altogether: when one installs the GDRGDR.cab, MS Update continues to offer KB982168, despite declaring, every time, that the install was successful. However, when one installs the QFEGDR.cab from NDP30SP2-KB976769.msp , MS Update stops offering KB982168, at last!!! It turns out that only the QFEGDR.cab contains a file called "ServiceMonikerSupport.dll", which is absent from the GDRGDR.cab, but, it seems, required for MS Update to consider the update as completely done. Here are some more details about ServiceMonikerSupport.dll: v. 3.0.4506.4532 (QFE.030729-4500), size: 17,256 bytes, CRC32 = 59CD7466, MD5 = F50CEF4F2E0C72299F2D901BB3E286F2, PE Timestamp: 0x4BBD6015 or Thu Apr 08, 2010 04:48:21 GMT.