Batch file for "Hidden" Applications

Hello

I want to install a shortcut in Start Menu in Windows XP of all the "Hidden" applications that are not installed by default and that are disseminated in various locations inside Windows, for example: Direct X Diagnosis (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe)

There is software created by particulars that do that:

- XP Hidden Application Launcher (23 applications) by Rizla (portable)

- XP Hidden Application Interface v1.0 (24 applications) by Craig Longford (installer)

- XP Hidden Application Enabler v2.0 (44 applications) by Serials2000 Rocks Team (portable)

- Matt’s System Helper Outer v0.52 (8 applications) (portable)

And by companies:

- Camtech Hidden Utilities XP-Vista v1.0 (53 applications + 43 command line utilities) (total 96) (portable) Free

- Camtech Hidden Utilities XP-Vista v2.0 (81 applications + 130 command line utilities) (total 211) (installer) U$S 19.95

My problem is that it is in English :( (I need it in Spanish) and non of them is complete with all that has inside Windows XP. The same can be applied to Windows Vista and 7.

I know that I can made it manually with shortcuts and links to some Folder in Start Menu > Programs > (example: HiddenApps), but is there a batch file that I can make?

Many thanks

If you provide the Topic with a full list of the applications you wish to have shortcuts for, their location, the names you wish to have allocated to them and the intended destination of those shortcuts, then I think you'll have a better chance of someone helping you out.

Another idea is to ask one or more of the authors of the many applications you've found to create a 'Spanish' version.

If you provide the Topic with a full list of the applications you wish to have shortcuts for, their location, the names you wish to have allocated to them and the intended destination of those shortcuts, then I think you'll have a better chance of someone helping you out.

Another idea is to ask one or more of the authors of the many applications you've found to create a 'Spanish' version.

Some of them are very old (2002, etc.) doesn't have a web page and where made I think as a project. I found them only by a long search in Internet. I can make it in english and spanish. I only need a basic indication on how. Of course I will publish as a download here.

For example:

Name: Direct X Diagnosis

Destination: Start > Programs > Hidden Applications > Direct X Diagnosis

Icon: the same it has

You suggested that you wanted all of them not just one, I can give you a single shortcut or you can use shortcut.exe or some other third party utility to create your own , but I'm guessing that's not what you want, is it?

Either provide a full list or we cannot be expected to help you.

You suggested that you wanted all of them not just one, I can give you a single shortcut or you can use shortcut.exe or some other third party utility to create your own , but I'm guessing that's not what you want, is it?

Either provide a full list or we cannot be expected to help you.

Yes. I have not yet prepared the list, but I think one example is enough. Can it be?

You asked for it, so here it is, an .inf file:

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
ProfileItems = HidAppGrp, DxDiagShtCut

[HidAppGrp]
Name = Hidden Applications, 4

[DxDiagShtCut]
CmdLine = 11, , dxdiag.exe
Infotip = "Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool"
Name = DirectX Diagnosis
SubDir = Hidden Applications
WorkingDir = 53

You asked for it, so here it is, an .inf file:

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
ProfileItems = HidAppGrp, DxDiagShtCut

[HidAppGrp]
Name = Hidden Applications, 4

[DxDiagShtCut]
CmdLine = 11, , dxdiag.exe
Infotip = "Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool"
Name = DirectX Diagnosis
SubDir = Hidden Applications
WorkingDir = 53

But can I use it as a .cmd file?

No you cannot use it as a .cmd file, (because it isn't one). If you have a need to install it via a command line as opposed to invoking it directly, (perhaps with a double click), then that option is available. It could therefore be run from a batch file by invoking that command line within that script.

The information for doing this is readily available in multiple instances throughout this Forum and further afield.

Once you've prepared, completed and posted your full list, I may be in a better position however to provide you with this additional information.

I will do the homework.

Meantime I tried with "shortcut.exe" and it works only if it creates first a folder (md).

@echo off

echo Creating Shortcut

echo.

:: Create Folder

md "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications"

:: Create Shortcut

shortcut /f:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications\Direct X Diagnosis.lnk" /a:c /t:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe"

:: Done!

But if I want to place in: "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Start Menu\XP Hidden Applications\Direct X Diagnosis.lnk" without building first a folder nothing happens...

What I am doing wrong?

Shortcut.zip

Edited by didadocom

You should create the directory first, there's nothing wrong with doing that.

@Echo off
If Not Exist "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications" (
Md "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications")
Echo=Creating Shortcut&Echo=
Shortcut...

You should create the directory first, there's nothing wrong with doing that.

@Echo off
If Not Exist "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications" (
Md "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications")
Echo=Creating Shortcut&Echo=
Shortcut...

I have done it. It does not appear in the Desktop, but if I search in Documents and Settings\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications\ it is!

What is happening?

Besides this I want to place the shortcut in: Start Menu\XP Hidden Applications\Direct X Diagnosis

I have done it. It does not appear in the Desktop, but if I search in Documents and Settings\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications\ it is!

What is happening?

Besides this I want to place the shortcut in: Start Menu\XP Hidden Applications\Direct X Diagnosis

I have no idea what is happening because I cannot see your exact batch file!

Incidentally, the .inf file I've already provided you with creates your required shortcut, DirectX Diagnosis.lnk, inside %AllUsersProfile%\StartMenu\Programs\Hidden Applications.

... It does not appear in the Desktop, but if I search in Documents and Settings\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications\ it is!...

The subfolder for the user is missing:

Documents and Settings\<User>\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications\

Edited by Mim0

The subfolder for the user is missing:

Documents and Settings\<User>\Desktop\XP Hidden Applications\

The above doesn't work. I have found that this: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% works!

Now I want to add a commentary-explanation to each shortcut as Windows has them and is shown in a baloon in light yellow.

For example: Notepad: Create and modify text files using basic text formatting

Where goes this information?

Now I want to add a commentary-explanation to each shortcut as Windows has them and is shown in a baloon in light yellow.

For example: Notepad: Create and modify text files using basic text formatting

Where goes this information?

In my provided .inf file it is shown as a quoted string under infotip.

If you're still talking about using OptimumX's shortcut.exe did you look at the syntax/parameter list provided in the ReadMe.txt and try:

/D:description : Defines the description (or comment) for the shortcut.