Where can i find sysdiff? I'd like to try it.........

I found this while looking for a way to install MyDefrag defragment program. http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/2194021/Sysdiff---Windows-NT2000s-secret-deployment-tool.htm

Not sure if sysdiff will work under XP Pro but i wanted to know where can i get sysdiff. From what i understand it's free and can be used to capture all needed resources for an unattended installation. I think that sysdiff might be the actual exe that runs but might not be the name of the package that contains sysdiff. I searched google high and low and haven't found much information on it.

Is this program distributed with another operating system or something???

Is it legal for me to use??

Where can i find more information on this??

Thanks a bunch!!! :thumbup

Silly you!

Microsoft Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000 Resource Kits include a utility called Sysdiff.exe

Resource kits usually come as an additional CD-ROM you can get separately. Sometimes these also came with MSDN or Technet subscriptions. As for downloading it... here is where you can get sysdiff for Windows 2000:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927229

I'm Silly alright It's probably that darn techno stuff i listen to... :w00t: LOL

Thanks For the reply i couldn't find any info on where to get though its probably common knowledge to alot of people. I thought it be a good tool to use possible for hard to install programs that don't have silent parameters. That's if the tool is as good as i've read. I'll check it out.

Thanks Again :lol:

Chris

Edited by chrisoborski

Sysdiff might be good, but it has some limitations (notably no 64bit support). Something like regshot or procmon (or both) would be a better set of tools to watch on newer systems like XP, Vista, or Win7.

Sysdiff might be good, but it has some limitations (notably no 64bit support). Something like regshot or procmon (or both) would be a better set of tools to watch on newer systems like XP, Vista, or Win7.

Yea i use Regshot Unicode actually. Its pretty good cause it'll output a "changes" *.reg file and a "reversal" *.reg file and an *.inf file too. And i sometimes use another program called "Fingerprint" which is no longer available i don't think. Fingerprint can also output a hash of every file in a directory if needed. I wanted to see what Sysdiff had to offer though. I tried the link Tripredacus posted but that is only a hotfix. Cluberti i've looked for Sysdiff by downloading Windows 2000 Resource kit but i guess it doesn't come with it.

Would you know off hand where on MS site it's available for download??

Thanks Again

Chris

Edited by chrisoborski

It's not, which was the other reason I was trying to steer you away from it ;).

Oh, I actually thought it was buried on some Microsoft page.. Ha Ha. Man i feel DUMB! :wacko::no::angel

Thats probably why Tripredacus said silly you .. or i don't know what to think????

Thats why i asked is it legal for me to use and then he posted the link and i thought...

Anyways

:ph34r:

It's not, which was the other reason I was trying to steer you away from it ;).

Oh, I actually thought it was buried on some Microsoft page.. Ha Ha. Man i feel DUMB! :wacko::no::angel

Thats probably why Tripredacus said silly you .. or i don't know what to think????

Thats why i asked is it legal for me to use and then he posted the link and i thought...

Anyways

:ph34r:

Well, if you do install the Windows 2000 Resource Kit, you can use the link trip gave you to get sysdiff. You can't just download sysdiff itself though, you need the reskit and the hotfix package, but I'd still suggest not using it and use things like regshot and procmon.