Digital camera?

mhthegoblin

Hi,

I'm after a digital camera. Doesn't have to be too special beyond a) a high resolution (12MP minimum) and B) reliable and likely to last a while. I'm looking into this - http://ubuyhardware.com/p~p-1848567000~b-402~Olympus-Stylus-Tough-8010-14-Megapixel-Digital-Camera---Silver.aspx - do you guys think it'd be appropriate? Any suggestions of an alternative?

Thanks in advance!

I'm after a digital camera. Doesn't have to be too special beyond a) a high resolution (12MP minimum) and B) reliable and likely to last a while. I'm looking into this - http://ubuyhardware.com/p~p-1848567000~b-402~Olympus-Stylus-Tough-8010-14-Megapixel-Digital-Camera---Silver.aspx - do you guys think it'd be appropriate? Any suggestions of an alternative?

I just checked in my crystal ball and found everything about your photographic needs/preferences, if you could also post your date of birth, I may be more accurate, but what I saw is enough to say:

YES, that appears like EXACTLY the RIGHT camera for you. :)

However even with my crystal ball I wasn't able to find a reason WHY you may think that advise about buying a camera has ANYTHING to do with "Hard Drive and Removable Media issues" (which is the Forum where you posted your request). :w00t:

jaclaz

a high resolution (12MP minimum)

You don't really want that. Unless you like ridiculously noisy pictures (tiny sensor + high res = less light per photosite so higher noise -- see this if you want a basic explanation). Nevermind that the extra pixels basically won't really give you any extra detail in the first place (merely slowing down the camera and saving larger JPEGs that fill the cards faster).

As for alternatives, it depends on budget, what you intend on mainly using it for, etc. Not that I'm an encyclopedia of point & shoot cameras or anything (I got vastly more experience with SLR systems, whether digital or film)

• 2 years later...

Well in order to spend money on a digital camera, you need to calculate what regular cameras costed back then. This means 15mm vs 35 mm that must be equal to what you intend on "printing".

A camera that is worth less then $50 might get your job done, but a person is looking for SRL, speed ( this means how many images per second can you take with your camera ), and the ability to store as RAW, ( or at least TIF/PCX ). Also a camera with everything built in, can be terrible at times, because the features might do work together.

However if you want an all in one camera, like video ( which can be great for making movies ),

and stuff like that, then do so. A good Camera should cost around $6995 but eventually time will go on, and will be selling for $5 one day.

Their is no such thing as an ultimate camera. So just get for your primary usage. Some camera have serving equipment in it, as well.