WinPE Startup Script

chadss

Looking to setup Windows PE so when it boots it starts the imagex /apply of the WIM file that is on the drive. What do i need to do this and where do i get the files?

You **could** do this in the startnet.cmd file, but personally I'd have it load a program where you can manually select to apply the image. The reason for this is that you'll basically make a PC killer if used improperly. Of course I have a Server that does a similar thing, except if you PXE to it, it automatically boots into WinPE and formats the hard drive. Fortunately, this server is on its own network and has no communication with the outside world. But you can imagine how bad it would be if someone were to accidently bridge its network, or someone tried to PXE boot on its network!

Some user intervention would be better than automatically imaging at boot. There are several methods, such as booting into an HTA or a GUI made in AutoIT.

If i could bring up a select feature like i have when i PXE to the WDS server that would be even better. I can't seem to locate the startnet.cmd file either. Suggestions for programs to add in a GUI would be nice.

The startnet.cmd file should be in mount\Windows\System32. If it is not there you can create it but it should be there already.

As far as the selection menu goes, you could get away with using a Batch file for the menu and have the startnet.cmd open that. Or you could use an HTA or other tool. A similar question was asked the other day:

I personally use the Gimagex HTA (link in my sig) but you can use whatever you would like.