WIndows settings that I can't find in nlite

MrBiggz

Greetings!

I cannot for the life of me find these few windows settings. The first of which is showing the folders in windows explorer.

I appears like this after the install:

post-299830-128094688424_thumb.jpg

When I would like it to be this:

post-299830-128094689339_thumb.jpg

Makes it easier to navigate around. :yes:

Second setting is the mouse. The mouse buttons are reversed. I have checked and unchecked the reverse mouse buttons setting with in nlite and it still reverses the buttons after the install is done. Why? :unsure:

Last but not least. How do I make it NOT install MSN Messenger and Movie Maker? :ph34r:

Thanks for the help way way in advance! :hello:

Attached is my LAST SESSION.INIfile.

Greetings!

I cannot for the life of me find these few windows settings. The first of which is showing the folders in windows explorer.

I appears like this after the install:

post-299830-128094688424_thumb.jpg

When I would like it to be this:

post-299830-128094689339_thumb.jpg

Makes it easier to navigate around. :yes:

Second setting is the mouse. The mouse buttons are reversed. I have checked and unchecked the reverse mouse buttons setting with in nlite and it still reverses the buttons after the install is done. Why? :unsure:

Last but not least. How do I make it NOT install MSN Messenger and Movie Maker? :ph34r:

Thanks for the help way way in advance! :hello:

Attached is my LAST SESSION.INIfile.

MrBiggz, you are running nLite under Vista and integrating a Service Pack. This is going to produce unpredictable results. If you are going to include a Service Pack, you must run nLite under XP. Please look under the Tweaks Task for your Explorer changes. In the Components Task, I see Movie Maker, MSN Explorer and Windows Messenger, but no MSN Messenger. Your Last Session reflects no component removal at all. Be sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders an run nLite only once. After you run nLite under XP, please let us know if you still have these weird problems. Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

For Messenger you need to edit winnt.sif before you "Create a Bootable ISO".

Add this...

[Components]

msmsgs=off

Unfortunately, there isn't one for Movie Maker.

Add this...

[Components]

msmsgs=off

-X-, strange, there is a Movie Maker in the Components Task on nLite for me (XP x64). Is msmsgs really MSN Messenger? There is a Windows Messenger (my original reply was wrong here, will edit) and MSN Explorer. What/which is what/which? Enjoy, John.

john, I take it he doesn't want them to install during setup. Not remove them with nLite. I know nLite can remove them.

• 2 weeks later...

MrBiggz, you are running nLite under Vista and integrating a Service Pack. This is going to produce unpredictable results. If you are going to include a Service Pack, you must run nLite under XP. Please look under the Tweaks Task for your Explorer changes. In the Components Task, I see Movie Maker, MSN Explorer and Windows Messenger, but no MSN Messenger. Your Last Session reflects no component removal at all. Be sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders an run nLite only once. After you run nLite under XP, please let us know if you still have these weird problems. Enjoy, John.

I don't understand why I can't build it on Vista. Everything is being copied to a folder with the XP source files. What would it be taking from Vista?

I did find the option for the movie maker! Thank you!

And as fair as the view in Window Explorer .. I think that is the normal behavior after looking at an XP machine from work.

Add this...

[Components]

msmsgs=off

Tried that .. didn't work. Not a big deal though!

In the Components Task, I see Movie Maker, MSN Explorer and Windows Messenger, but no MSN Messenger.
Is msmsgs really MSN Messenger? There is a Windows Messenger (my original reply was wrong here, will edit) and MSN Explorer. What/which is what/which?

You were correct in your first post, johnhc. Windows XP does not come with MSN Messenger, only Windows Messenger. For clarity, Microsoft has released the following messengers:

1. Windows Messenger
    • Oldest messenger.
    • Included with Windows XP.
    • Intended for corporate use.

[*]MSN Messenger

• Newer than Windows Messenger.
  • Never included with Windows.
  • Intended for personal use.

[*]Windows Live Messenger (WLM)

• Newest messenger.
  • Never included with Windows.
  • This rebranded MSN Messenger is now part of Microsoft's Live platform.
  • Intended for personal use.

The following code can be used in WinNT.sif to prevent both Windows Messenger and MSN Explorer from installing, MrBiggz. The code responsible for each should be obvious, and they both work for me.

[Components]
msmsgs="Off"
msnexplr="Off"

The number zero (0) can be used in place of the word "Off". Quotes above are optional. No quotes should be used for the number zero.

Thanks 5eraph!

Which leaves me with just one question!

I don't understand why I can't build it on Vista. Everything is being built into a folder with XP source files. What would it be taking from Vista?

Some think it may cause problems. Me, I'm not so sure. I've yet to see any documented cases of problems being fixed by running nLite under XP as opposed to Vista/W7.

The only known issue is with volume license keys not being accepted when integrating a service pack.

After you create Windows XP Service Pack 3 slipstreamed media, your product key is not accepted

Btw...

[Components]

msmsgs=off

Works fine for me. I use the following and nothing I tell it to not install, gets installed.

[Components]

msmsgs=off

msnexplr=off

media_clips=off

Accessopt=off

templates=off

Clipbook=off

Dialer=off

Chat=off

hypertrm=off

pinball=off

freecell=off

minesweeper=off

spider=off

hearts=off

zonegames=off

mousepoint=off

Deskpaper=off

Charmap=off

Netoc=off

Edited by -X-

X,

I have to agree with you. Now if it were taking and incorporating actual files from an install then I would say yes. But this just merges a whole lot of stuff into one single install.

And .. thanks much for the info!