Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How can I tell if ReadyBoost is working?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,958 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Yesterday I got Starcraft II and checked the minimum specs, and it says 1.5GB RAM for 7. That is how much I actually have, so I plugged in a 1GB USB key and set it for ReadyBoost. Both Windows (Computer Properties) and Starcraft II still only show that I have 1.5GB RAM. How can I see if anything is even using the ReadyBoost?

Based on the Windows 7 training I had before it came out, it said ReadyBoost is basically a cheap RAM upgrade, but I haven't been able to see any difference.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,124 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

use the Performance Monitor and add the ReadyBoost-Cache. Now you can see how many bytes are used.
Posted Image

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Joined 06-June 06
Using ReadyBoost is not the same as adding ram

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
ReadyBoost/Superfetch are only designed to improve disk access and optimize file loading. It won't do anything for your memory issues, although it should make booting and accessing files from your hard disk(s) faster. The only way to increase the amount of physical RAM available to the system is to increase the amount of RAM installed in the system.

Not sure what training you're talking about, but whatever it was, it was wrong. It might have the side effect that things load faster, but it won't increase RAM storage capacity (and I don't believe you can put the paging file on a removable flash volume either, so that won't help).
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Joined 06-June 06
ReadyBoost does however use the CPU, I read this in Autounattend.xml help file for WAIK when I was looking for how to enable ReadyBoost unattendedly

EnableCompression specifies whether the Microsoft® ReadyBoost™ cache uses compression.

Disabling compression can improve CPU usage and decrease battery consumption.

Enabling compression may be necessary for systems with a low amount of RAM or cache space, to ensure that the necessary pages can be stored.

* For a portable computer with 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM, we recommend using a fast internal flash device with a cache size of at least 4 GB, to avoid the need for cache compression.

* For a portable computer with 2 GB or more of RAM, we recommend using a fast internal flash device with a cache size of at least 8 GB, to avoid the need for cache compression.

Edited by ricktendo64, 12 August 2010 - 11:16 AM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,958 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Not sure what training you're talking about, but whatever it was, it was wrong.

I think it was the same guy that said there was a taskbar that spanned extra monitors. :(
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
Yeah, I remember that. I think you might want to find a new MCT.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,018 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I don't believe you can put the paging file on a removable flash volume either

Actually, yes, one can, thanks to karyonix (for Win 7 inclusive)! :thumbup
However you'll need a helluva fast pendrive (Corsair Flash Voyager GTR comes to mind) for it to be worth the trouble. :yes:

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
Well, you could write a filter driver to do just about anything - I was talking about a supported way of doing it out of the box. Leave it to you to find some crazy driver to do it :P.
--------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users