How can I tell if ReadyBoost is working?

Tripredacus

Yesterday I got Starcraft II and checked the minimum specs, and it says 1.5GB RAM for 7. That is how much I actually have, so I plugged in a 1GB USB key and set it for ReadyBoost. Both Windows (Computer Properties) and Starcraft II still only show that I have 1.5GB RAM. How can I see if anything is even using the ReadyBoost?

Based on the Windows 7 training I had before it came out, it said ReadyBoost is basically a cheap RAM upgrade, but I haven't been able to see any difference.

ReadyBoost/Superfetch are only designed to improve disk access and optimize file loading. It won't do anything for your memory issues, although it should make booting and accessing files from your hard disk(s) faster. The only way to increase the amount of physical RAM available to the system is to increase the amount of RAM installed in the system.

Not sure what training you're talking about, but whatever it was, it was wrong. It might have the side effect that things load faster, but it won't increase RAM storage capacity (and I don't believe you can put the paging file on a removable flash volume either, so that won't help).

ReadyBoost does however use the CPU, I read this in Autounattend.xml help file for WAIK when I was looking for how to enable ReadyBoost unattendedly

EnableCompression specifies whether the Microsoft® ReadyBoost™ cache uses compression.

Disabling compression can improve CPU usage and decrease battery consumption.

Enabling compression may be necessary for systems with a low amount of RAM or cache space, to ensure that the necessary pages can be stored.

* For a portable computer with 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM, we recommend using a fast internal flash device with a cache size of at least 4 GB, to avoid the need for cache compression.

* For a portable computer with 2 GB or more of RAM, we recommend using a fast internal flash device with a cache size of at least 8 GB, to avoid the need for cache compression.

Edited by ricktendo64

I don't believe you can put the paging file on a removable flash volume either

Actually, yes, one can, thanks to karyonix (for Win 7 inclusive)! :thumbup

However you'll need a helluva fast pendrive (Corsair Flash Voyager GTR comes to mind) for it to be worth the trouble. :yes: