Why do some versions of Flash Player 9 work on YouTube while other ver

larryb123456

@larryb123456: I'm glad to see you are now testing the patcher. And that the initial results are promising. Welcome to the world of patched executables and related tricks! :yes: This is the only way open for us 9x/ME users to keep up to date enough, at this point of time.

Based on my previous *horrible* experiences with FP 9 > 9.0.47.0 with my Pentium II on YouTube, seeing 9.0.280.0 even playing for ten seconds -- without crashing -- would seem like a *miracle*.

Like I said in an earlier post, I definitely need this forum (for specialized help with my 98 system).

Glad to be a tester. I appreciate your and rleow's patience while I tried to get comfortable with the Patcher before trying it. I'll bet you all thought the questions would *never* end. LOL !

With the next update of the VxD file, there won't be anymore questions. I will know what to do with it, so all you'll have to do is zip it to me.

But, I will be interested in what the modifications to the present VxD accomplished -- in layman's terms, of course.

Thanks.

larryb123456

OK, larryb123456! Now let's stop using Firefox. Try Opera, Netscape and it would be great if you also tried IE6SP1, because it uses a different flash executable. Try the exact same videos, and lets see what happens.

If the problem persists, then do it all over again with 9.0.115.0... Let's get to the bottom of it! :yes:

"Will do" for Netscape and Opera for 9.0.280.0 for the same videos. Then, I'll install 9.0.115.0 and test Firefox, Netscape, and Opera for the same videos. IE 6.0 is the highest version I can use with my Win 98.

Now, BTW, while RLoew's patcher allows flash to run, it (at least in principle) shouldn't be affecting the video/audio sync. There sure is more to this problem, but I doubt it's related to the patcher...

I was simply stating the problem that would have to be solved for FP 2.0.280.0 to work on YouTube. I certainly did not know the details of the Patcher -- or whether or not it had the capability to put the audio and video in synch.

larryb123456

Hello dencorso and rleow:

---------------------------------------------------

With Flash Player 9.0.280.0

Bjork "All is Full of Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvoEZXop4zM&NR=1

FIREFOX: *first try* -- audio and video were in synch until 2:37. Then video froze up while audio continued to the end. When audio finished, video continued from 2:37 to the end without any audio.

*second try* -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then, player shut down.

*third try* -- the discussion below for the Kate Bush video at NETSCAPE: *third try* motivated me to reboot before trying the Bjork video again. Result -- the results were the same as in *first try*. ( Really, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the video, but when I noticed it had stopped, the time was 2:40 -- so, I'd estimate that the video stopped around 2:30 to 2:40.) As a final test of the effect of rebooting for Firefox, I thought I'd reboot and replay MGMT "Time to Pretend" .

NETSCAPE: black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing (but I don't think it started from the *very* beginning) and continued to end.

OPERA: *first try* -- VIDEO PLAYED PERFECTLY -- AUDIO AND VIDEO IN SYNCH -- FROM START TO END.

*second try* -- I thought I'd try it again to see the reproducibility. (I had played many videos between *first try* and *second try*.) Result -- VIDEO PLAYED PERFECTLY -- AUDIO AND VIDEO IN SYNCH -- FROM START TO END.

Kate Bush "Army Dreamers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdHOm256N4&feature=related

FIREFOX: video froze up immediately on starting and stayed frozen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing and continued to end -- without any audio.

NETSCAPE: *first try* -- video froze up at first frame. Audio played until 0:57 and stopped. Nothing I tried could get the audio to play again (moving slider bar, turning it on and off, etc.)

*second try* -- computer hang. Used Ctrl+Alt+Delete to escape OK. Then, rebooted before third try.

*third try* -- video froze up at first frame while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing (but I don't think it was from the *very* beginning -- but it was close) until end. This was the first time I had rebooted immediately before playing a video and the performance was improved a little but it still was not perfect. (The only other possible time I might have rebooted was before the Bjork video discussed above under FIREFOX: *first try*, so I thought I'd reboot again and replay the Bjork video for the *third try* to get some sense of the effect of rebooting.)

OPERA: video froze up immediately on starting and stayed frozen while audio played from start to end. Then the video played (but not from the beginning) until end without any audio.

House of Pain "Jump Around"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQbPgouUYo

FIREFOX: video froze up immediately on starting and stayed frozen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing and continued from beginning to end -- without any audio.

NETSCAPE: black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing and continued from beginning to end -- without any audio.

OPERA: black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing and continued from beginning to end -- without any audio.

MGMT "Time to Pretend"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=canpQNO6Wgs

FIREFOX: *first try* -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then, player shut down.

*second try* -- the discussion for the Bjork video under FIREFOX: *third try* lead me to reboot before replaying "Time to Pretend". Result -- the behavior was *exactly* the same as for *first try*. So, here, rebooting had absolutely no effect. Thus, I'm not going to do any more rebooting before playing a video.

NETSCAPE:

OPERA: *first try* -- Instead of a black screen on opening, it had a title page: MGMT "Time to Pretend". This title page remained while the audio played a couple of minutes and then I got a computer hang. Used Ctrl+Alt+Delete to escape OK. Decided to reboot and replay. Got a *hard* computer crash when trying to reboot. I booted up again and tried again.

*second try* -- Result: As soon as webpage opened I got a computer hang. Used Ctrl+Alt+Delete to escape OK. Decided to try again, but did not reboot.

---------------------

---------------------

---------------------

---------------------

*third try* -- RESULT: SOON AFTER THE PAGE OPENED -- BEFORE THE VIDEO STARTED TO LOAD -- I GOT A BROWSER CRASH SAYING, "OPERA HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION AND WILL BE SHUT DOWN." ALL THE "DETAILS" ARE COPIED BELOW.

AT THIS POINT I STOPPED, POSTED THIS MESSAGE ON THE FORUM, AND THEN SHUT MY COMPUTER OFF.

I WAS GOING TO DISABLE YOUR PATCHER AND REBOOT, BUT I THOUGHT I SHOULD CHECK WITH YOU FIRST TO SEE IF THIS WOULD BE THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

FIRST, REASSURE ME THAT MY FILES AND COMPUTER HAVE NOT BEEN DAMAGED, AND THEN LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO NEXT.

---------------------

---------------------

---------------------

---------------------

MGMT "Electric Feel"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZexg8sxyk

FIREFOX: video opened with a 10 -15 second Google ad -- in the player -- which played with audio and video in synch from start to end. When MGMT video opened -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then, player shut down.

NETSCAPE:

OPERA:

The Teddy Bears "To Know Him is to Love Him"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnUsInBQws

FIREFOX: black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video played from start to end without any audio.

NETSCAPE:

OPERA:

Details of Opera's illegal operation

OPERA caused an invalid page fault in

module USER.EXE at 0003:0000771d.

Registers:

EAX=0002fffb CS=17a7 EIP=0000771d EFLGS=00000246

EBX=00026acc SS=4ae7 ESP=00008146 EBP=0000815e

ECX=00029ff4 DS=16af ESI=00020000 FS=4a97

EDX=7d640000 ES=16b7 EDI=00020202 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

67 8b 41 46 50 ff 76 0a ff 76 04 6a 00 9a 2b 9e

Stack dump:

9ff40020 00000002 00000000 6dd416af 00029ff4 00000000 236e81e6 00a10001 02020181 00029ff4 217f6acc 00008004 020206f8 018100a1 54ca0000 00a1000f

RLEOW, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT "AN INVALID PAGE FAULT IN MODULE USER.EXE" MEANS ?

THERE IS SO MUCH MUMBO-JUMBO ON THE WEB ABOUT IT, THAT I'M NOT SURE WHAT IT IS.

Thank you

larryb123456

Edited by dencorso
Added "code" tags to suppress the embedded players.

OPERA caused an invalid page fault in

module USER.EXE at 0003:0000771d.

Registers:

EAX=0002fffb CS=17a7 EIP=0000771d EFLGS=00000246

EBX=00026acc SS=4ae7 ESP=00008146 EBP=0000815e

ECX=00029ff4 DS=16af ESI=00020000 FS=4a97

EDX=7d640000 ES=16b7 EDI=00020202 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

67 8b 41 46 50 ff 76 0a ff 76 04 6a 00 9a 2b 9e

Stack dump:

9ff40020 00000002 00000000 6dd416af 00029ff4 00000000 236e81e6 00a10001 02020181 00029ff4 217f6acc 00008004 020206f8 018100a1 54ca0000 00a1000f

RLEOW, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT "AN INVALID PAGE FAULT IN MODULE USER.EXE" MEANS ?

THERE IS SO MUCH MUMBO-JUMBO ON THE WEB ABOUT IT, THAT I'M NOT SURE WHAT IT IS.

An Invalid Page Fault occurs when an Instruction tries to access memory that is not present and the operating system does not expect it to access that memory.

This is not related to "Illegal Instructions" that my Patcher was designed for.

The problems you are seeing don't appear to be related to my Patcher or the identified issues between Pentium II and III.

Has anyone tested these versions of Flash and browsers on a Pentium III or later?

My Handle is RLOEW not RLEOW.

@larryb123456: don't worry: neither your files nor your computer can be damaged *because of either RLoew's patcher vxd or because of the testing you're doing*. You're just as safe as you'd be doing any other usual task with the computer. However, this does not mean you're safe from the usual haphazard problems that may befall any user of any computer under any OS, like disk failure or power supply failure, or even file corruption from a crash... they are not routine events but can happen anytime. To be safe from these you must tame Murphy's law... and if you manage to do that, don't report it here: do patent it first, because it'll make you a rich man. :P

The errors you're getting make me think flash 9.0.280.0 has buffering problems in your setup. It's safe to disable the patcher -- reinstal another flash version -- reenable the patcher and test. However, to exclude any influence from the patcher, I'd like to ask you to go back to 9.0.47.0, and then run the tests 1st with the patcher disabled and then, once again, with it enabled (although it's not needed for v 47). Then, please, move on to 9.0.151.0 and do it all over again, but only with the patcher enabled, because we already know flash won't run without it, in this case. And, yes, the IE6 you have is OK for the testing, too.

An Invalid Page Fault occurs when an Instruction tries to access memory that is not present and the operating system does not expect it to access that memory.

This is not related to "Illegal Instructions" that my Patcher was designed for.

The problems you are seeing don't appear to be related to my Patcher or the identified issues between Pentium II and III. ...

Hello,rloew:

What could be causing these problems ? (Who knows -- right ?)

Sometimes -- but not too often -- I get hard computer crashes on reboot and this doesn't alarm me too much. My system continues to work great thereafter.

What freaked me out was the *concentration* of problems around Opera and MGMT "Time to Pretend". In order, I got a computer hang, hard crash, hang, and finally browser crash with the USER.EXE error. I have *never* run into such a succession of problems like this before, so I was big time worried (that explains all the capital letters -- Sorry).

My Handle is RLOEW not RLEOW.

Sorry. Thanks for correcting me. Let me explain why I have been referring to you as "rleow" for so long. The first time I misread your handle as rleow -- I am a little dyslectic -- I thought of the following mnemonic: I have an uncle named "Leo" so I'll just put "leo" in the center of your name. But now, my mnemonic will be: the "O" -- or "ball" -- goes in the center of your name. BTW, if you ever forget how to spell your name, you can use my "ball" mnemonic -- provided that you first send me a $25 licensing fee. LOL !

Thanks.

larryb123456

Edited by larryb123456

@larryb123456: don't worry: neither your files nor your computer can be damaged *because of either RLoew's patcher vxd or because of the testing you're doing*. ... To be safe ... you must tame Murphy's law... and if you manage to do that, don't report it here: do patent it first, because it'll make you a rich man. :P

Many thanks for the reassurance. I thought that I had nothing to worry about from the testing, since I didn't think you and rl"ball"ew -- did I spell his name right this time ? (LOL !) -- would use me as an expendable guinea pig.

That's a funny -- and *true* -- comment about Murphy's law. But my middle name is "Murphy", so there's no way I can escape his law (just kidding, it's not "Murphy"). As for being rich, I don't think I'd want to be -- just look at all the problems being rich caused for M C Hammer.

The errors you're getting make me think flash 9.0.280.0 has buffering problems in your setup. It's safe to disable the patcher -- reinstal another flash version -- reenable the patcher and test. However, to exclude any influence from the patcher, I'd like to ask you to go back to 9.0.47.0, and then run the tests 1st with the patcher disabled and then, once again, with it enabled (although it's not needed for v 47). Then, please, move on to 9.0.151.0 and do it all over again, but only with the patcher enabled, because we already know flash won't run without it, in this case. And, yes, the IE6 you have is OK for the testing, too.

#1 -- I'll first finish the results for FP 9.0.280.0 (just for "completeness", and since there aren't many more videos left to test). (But, if I run into major problems like yesterday, I will stop.) I'm going to change the layout of the report -- just a little bit -- so that it is not as "conjested". This will make it more readable.

#2 -- I'll install FP 9.0.47.0.

#2 a -- I'll test with Patcher turned off.

#2 b -- I'll test with Patcher turned on.

#3 -- I'll install FP 9.0.115.0.

dencorso, I'm sure you meant to say 115 and not 151. If you did mean 151, well I'll test that one too. BTW, there *is* a FP version 151 (I have the entire FP 9 archive).

#3 a -- I'll test with Patcher turned on.

#4 -- I'll install FP 8 for my IE 6 (I do not want to play around with different versions of FP for IE 6 since FP 8 is my "backup" -- i.e., I know it works good and I've uninstalled/installed it a hundred times with no problems.)

#4 a -- I'll test with Patcher turned off.

#4 b -- I'll test with Patcher turned on.

Barring any unforseen circumstances, I should have all this done by sometime tomorrow.

Thanks, dencorso.

larryb123456

Edited by larryb123456

@larryb123456:

#3 Well, actually there really *is* a 151, but you're right: I meant 115.

The schedule you proposed seems OK to me.

Bear in mind, please that the Flash for IE is different from the others. For it you must use the "ax" installers, which mean ActiveX (a feature only IE has). But you can have both the ActiveX and the non-ActiveX versions installed at the same time, it's harmless.

@larryb123456:

Bear in mind, please that the Flash for IE is different from the others. For it you must use the "ax" installers, which mean ActiveX (a feature only IE has). But you can have both the ActiveX and the non-ActiveX versions installed at the same time, it's harmless.

I like the way you leave nothing to *chance* by providing additional information. Yes, I know about the ActiveX control for IE.

While I had FP 9.0.47.0 installed for Firefox, Netscape, and Opera, I had FP 8 installed for IE 6 -- at the same time -- and everything worked well.

Thanks, dencorso.

larryb123456

Edited by larryb123456

Hello, dencorso:

Here is the information you requested.

I tried to write it clearly so that you could go over it moderately quickly -- and also, so that it would not be too confusing. The discussion on 9.0.115.0 is probably a *little easier* to understand, since I went straight down the list of songs and browser versions with no jumping around. I jumped around *a little* with 9.0.280.0. (But, there definitely was more *weird* stuff happening with 9.0.115.0 than with 9.0.280.0.)

I'll be waiting to hear what your analysis of this *raw data* reveals. Also, let me know what you would like me to do next on this issue.

There is some *new* information (at least for me) -- that I *stumbled* on in playing with 9.0.280.0 at: Task # 1 --> MGMT "Electric Feel" --> OPERA. Plus, you and I had never discussed this info before.

This is where I define "Seek worked" or "Seek didn't work". (BTW, it always worked.)

I hope here I'm not wasting your time with something you already knew. As I state in the 9.0.280.0 discussion, I did not watch *each* video -- in its entirety -- to establish whether or not "seek worked". Usually, as soon as I saw that it worked, I moved on to the next video. However, for 9.0.115.0 I watched *each and every* video -- in its entirety -- so that I wouldn't miss anything if it happened.

Basically, "seek", as I define it, concerns taking a "little more active" role in watching a frozen up video -- usually a black screen -- that stays frozen as the audio plays normally from start to end. By "seek" you can reveal images behind the black screen -- one by one -- one second at a time.

Without "seek", the video starts playing (without audio) *as soon as* the audio stops -- but rarely at the beginning of the song (it's usually at some random point that can't be identified.) Once the video starts playing (again, without audio) it continues to the end of the song and then the player closes.

With "seek", video still-frame images can be shown as the audio plays, and when the song ends, the player *closes* (instead of playing the video as discussed in the last paragraph).

There is *definitely* a difference in behavior in these two "with" and "without" cases -- at least from the limited number of FP/video/browser combinations I've looked at.

I am probably ***embarrassing*** myself with all the above rambling, but, really I don't care.

I considered *my role* in this exercise to be the *most careful* observer of what was happening on my monitor that I could possibly be. I *absolutely* do not know whether all this *raw* info -- or my *wild speculations* about "seek" -- will be of any help or not in getting rloew's Patcher working.

Thanks, dencorso.

larryb123456

P.S., I don't know the maximum size limit on a message post, but if this one is too long to post as is, I'll break it up into smaller sections and repost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all tasks below,

Operating System: Windows 98

Processor: Pentium ll, 450 MHz

RAM: 384MB

Task # 1:

Browsers:

Firefox 2.0.0.20, Netscape 9.0.0.6, Opera 9.64

With Flash Player 9.0.280.0 and Patcher on

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- audio and video were in synch until 2:37. Then video froze up while audio continued to the end. When audio finished, video continued from 2:37 to the end without any audio.

---------------------

*second try* -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then, player closed.

---------------------

*third try* -- the discussion below for the Kate Bush video at NETSCAPE: *third try* motivated me to reboot before trying the Bjork video again. Result -- the results were the same as in *first try*. ( Really, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the video, but when I noticed it had stopped, the time was 2:40 -- so, I'd estimate that the video stopped around 2:30 to 2:40.) As a final test of the effect of rebooting for Firefox, I thought I'd reboot and replay MGMT "Time to Pretend" .

---------------------

*fourth try* -- got computer hang as soon as webpage opened. Escaped with Ctrl+Alt+Del. Did not reboot. Tried again. Got *exactly* the same results as in *first try* -- video froze up at exactly 2:37. (I was paying close attention this time.)

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try* -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing (but I don't think it started from the *very* beginning) and continued to end.

---------------------

*second try* -- got computer hang as soon as webpage opened. Escaped with Ctrl+Alt+Del. Did not reboot. Tried again. Got *exactly* the same result as for Firefox *first* try discussed above

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* -- VIDEO PLAYED PERFECTLY -- AUDIO AND VIDEO IN SYNCH -- FROM START TO END.

---------------------

*second try* -- I thought I'd try it again to see the reproducibility. (I had played many videos between *first try* and *second try*.) Result -- VIDEO PLAYED PERFECTLY -- AUDIO AND VIDEO IN SYNCH -- FROM START TO END.

---------------------

*third try* -- curious to see if video would play successfully for third time. (I had played quite a few videos between *second try* and this try.) Result -- VIDEO PLAYED PERFECTLY -- AUDIO AND VIDEO IN SYNCH -- FROM START TO END.

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- video froze up immediately on starting and stayed frozen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing and continued to end -- without any audio.

---------------------

*second try* -- see third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked."

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try* -- video froze up at first frame. Audio played until 0:57 and stopped. Nothing I tried could get the audio to play again (moving slider bar, turning it on and off, etc.)

---------------------

*second try* -- computer hang. Used Ctrl+Alt+Delete to escape OK. Then, rebooted before third try.

---------------------

*third try* -- video froze up at first frame while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing (but I don't think it was from the *very* beginning -- but it was close) until end. This was the first time I had rebooted immediately before playing a video and the performance was improved a little but it still was not perfect. (The only other possible time I might have rebooted was before the Bjork video discussed above under FIREFOX: *first try*, so I thought I'd reboot again and replay the Bjork video for the *third try* to get some sense of the effect of rebooting.)

---------------------

*fourth try* -- see third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked."

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try -- video froze up immediately on starting and stayed frozen while audio played from start to end. Then the video played (but not from the beginning) until end without any audio.

---------------------

*second try* -- See third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". Video opened with the first frame frozen (i.e., her eye). "Seek worked".

---------------------

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- video froze up immediately on starting (it might have been a frozen black screen -- in my recollection 24 hours later) and stayed frozen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing and continued from beginning to end -- without any audio.

---------------------

*second try* -- black screen stayed while audio moved on. See third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked."

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing and continued from beginning to end -- without any audio.

---------------------

*second try -- got computer hang *as soon as* webpage opened. Escaped with Ctrl+Alt+Del. Did not reboot. Went to site again. See third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked."

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video started playing and continued from beginning to end -- without any audio.

---------------------

*second try* -- first image was a title page which stayed frozen while audio advanced. See third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked." When I went to close out the webpage, I discovered I had a computer hang. But the audio kept playing right along anyway. Escaped with Ctrl+Alt+Del. Did not reboot.

---------------------

MGMT "Time to Pretend"

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then, player closed.

---------------------

*second try* -- the discussion for the Bjork video under FIREFOX: *third try* lead me to reboot before replaying "Time to Pretend". Result -- the behavior was *exactly* the same as for *first try*. So, here, rebooting had absolutely no effect. Thus, I'm not going to do any more rebooting before playing a video.

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try* -- computer hang *as soon as* webpage opened. Escaped with Ctrl+Alt+Delete. I thought I'd reboot to see if I'd get a hard crash on reboot (in light of the problems discussed with OPERA immediately below). Got a clean reboot, so I thought I'd give it a second try.

---------------------

*second try* -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then player closed.

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* -- Instead of a black screen on opening, it had a title page: MGMT "Time to Pretend". This title page (probably the first frame of the video) remained while the audio played a couple of minutes and then I got a computer hang. Used Ctrl+Alt+Delete to escape OK. Decided to reboot and replay. Got a *hard* computer crash when trying to reboot. I booted up again and tried again.

---------------------

*second try* -- Result: As soon as webpage opened I got a computer hang. Used Ctrl+Alt+Delete to escape OK. Decided to try again, but did not reboot.

---------------------

*third try* -- soon after the page opened, I got a browser crash saying: "Opera has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." Under "Details" it said "Opera caused an invalid page fault in module USER.EXE". I then stopped trying to get MGMT

"Time to Pretend" to play.

---------------------

*fourth try* -- decided, after all, to try it again the next day, just to see what would happen. Result: no problems at all like yesterday. Video opened with a frozen black screen while audio advanced. (BTW, audio played all the way from start to end and then player closed.) See third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked."

---------------------

MGMT "Electric Feel"

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- video opened (yesterday) with a 10 -15 second Google ad -- in the player -- which played with audio and video in synch from start to end. When MGMT video opened -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then, player closed.

---------------------

*second try* --player opened (today) with what was supposed to be a 20 sec video ad (as said at the bottom of the ad). Ad played *very* choppily -- both audio and video -- for 10 sec until MGMT audio started and advanced with a frozen black screen. See third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked."

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

Player opened with what was supposed to be a 20 sec video ad (as said at the bottom of the ad). Ad played *very* choppily -- both audio and video -- for 10 sec until MGMT audio

started. Audio played from start to end with a black screen throughout. Then player closed.

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

Player opened with ad that gave exactly the same choppy behavior discussed

immediately above for Netscape. Then MGMT audio started and played with black screen. Always before I had just sat passively by while the whole audio played with the black screen. This time -- for the first time -- I clicked on the "seek" bar (i.e., the red line at the bottom of the player which shows how much of the video has been downloaded and how much of the video has been played).

Surprisingly, whatever time I clicked on -- on the seek bar -- showed just that *one frame* of the video which corresponded to that time. That frame stayed frozen while the audio continued on. I could go back and forth -- clicking on the seek bar -- to expose different frozen video images. The audio would always restart -- and continue -- from the time I clicked on, *exactly* as it should.

In the Kate Bush video above, the first frame of the video -- which shows only her eye -- is frozen during the whole time the audio plays. I'm going to replay her video with Opera to see if clicking on the seek bar will expose different frozen video images. If I can expose these images by clicking, I will simply write "seek worked". I might try some other videos with other browsers. I won't play the whole song (it takes too much time). I'll just quickly establish whether "seek worked" or "seek didn't work".

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video played from start to end without any audio.

---------------------

*second try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced. See third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked."

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try* --black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video played from start to end without any audio. Here, I didn't fiddle with the seek bar. I just passively watched from start to end.

---------------------

*second try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced. See third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked." I fiddled with the seek bar, which exposed still-frame images in the video, and I let the audio finish playing. Instead of the video playing when the audio ended -- as in *first try* -- the player closed.

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* --black screen while audio played from start to end. Then video played from start to end without any audio. Here, I didn't fiddle with the seek bar. I just passively watched from start to end.

---------------------

*second try* --*second try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced. See third paragraph under OPERA for MGMT "Electric Feel". "Seek worked." I fiddled with the seek bar, which exposed still-frame images in the video, and I let the audio finish playing. Instead of the video playing when the audio ended -- as in *first try* -- the player closed.

---------------------

Task # 1 completed

Task # 2 a):

Browsers:

With Flash Player 9.0.47.0 and Patcher off

FIREFOX: Perfect

NETSCAPE: Perfect

OPERA: Perfect

MGMT "Time to Pretend"

MGMT "Electric Feel"

FIREFOX: Player opened with what was supposed to be a 20 sec video ad (as said at the bottom of the ad). Ad played *very* choppily -- both audio and video -- for about 10 sec until MGMT video started. Then, MGMT video played perfectly.

NETSCAPE: Exact same results as for FIREFOX above.

OPERA: Exact same results as for FIREFOX above.

Task # 2 a) completed

Task # 2 b ):

Browsers:

With Flash Player 9.0.47.0 and Patcher on

OPERA:Perfect

MGMT "Time to Pretend"

MGMT "Electric Feel"

FIREFOX: Player opened with what was supposed to be a 20 sec video ad (as said at the bottom of the ad). Ad played *very* choppily -- both audio and video -- for about 10 sec until MGMT video started. Then, MGMT video played perfectly.

NETSCAPE: Exact same results as for FIREFOX above.

OPERA: Exact same results as for FIREFOX above.

Task # 2 b ) completed

Task # 3 a):

Note: in this task, I am proceeding -- in order -- from

top to bottom (i.e., no jumping around). I will list all

crashes, hangs, etc. and will try to avoid rebooting

(unless,of course, I get a hard computer crash).

Browsers:

With Flash Player 9.0.115.0 and Patcher on

FIREFOX: similar behavior as found with FP 9.0.280.0. Audio and video played great -- in synch -- until 2:40 (the song is 3:49) when video froze up -- and stayed frozen -- while audio continued to end. *As soon as* audio finished, video started up (but without audio) -- from some undetermined point near the end of the song -- and continued to end.

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first* try -- as soon as webpage opened, got a computer hang, escaped by Ctrl+Alt+Del. Did not reboot.

---------------------

*second try* -- frozen black screen while audio started and continued to end. As soon as audio finished, video started playing (without audio) and continued to end. In this case, I know what the time was that the video started -- around 2:40 (+ or - 0:05) -- since I'm very familiar with her image at this point, since the video has frozen up here so many times before.

---------------------

*third try* -- VIDEO PLAYED PERFECTLY -- AUDIO AND VIDEO IN SYNCH -- FROM START TO END.

---------------------

*fourth try* -- VIDEO PLAYED PERFECTLY -- AUDIO AND VIDEO IN SYNCH -- FROM START TO END.

---------------------

*fifth try* -- audio and video in synch until video froze up at 1:30 (always before, it was at around 2:40). Then audio continued to end. As soon as audio stopped, video started (at some undetermined point near the end of song) and then continued to end.

---------------------

*sixth try* -- audio and video in synch until video froze up at 3:25 -- most times before, it was at around 2:40. (Note: song was 3:49, so the song was very close to being finished when the video froze up.) Then audio continued playing to end. As soon as audio stopped, video started (at some point *very near* the end of song) and then continued to end.

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* -- VIDEO PLAYED PERFECTLY -- AUDIO AND VIDEO IN SYNCH -- FROM START TO END.

---------------------

*second try* -- VIDEO PLAYED PERFECTLY -- AUDIO AND VIDEO IN SYNCH -- FROM START TO END.

---------------------

*third try* -- got computer hang as soon as webpage opened. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del. Did not reboot.

---------------------

*fourth try* -- video frozen at first frame and there was *never* any audio at all. Red line at bottom of player (which indicates how much of the song has played) was moving in super slow motion. For example, for the time indicator at bottom left of player to advance one second, it would take 3 to 4 *actual* real-time seconds. (I had never seen this behavior before.) Finally, the video stopped at 2:30 and there was absolutely nothing I could do to advance the song beyond this point.

---------------------

*fifth try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced. "Seek worked." I let audio finish to end, expecting player to then close as it had done in the past. But, in this case, video continued playing -- without audio -- from about 30 seconds from the end of the song all the way to the end. Then got computer hang. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del. Computer is acting very sluggish, so I will reboot here. (Got a clean reboot.)

---------------------

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- as soon as webpage opened, got computer hang. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del.

---------------------

*second try* -- first frame of video frozen while audio advanced from start to end. Then video started at a point *very near* the beginning of song and continued to end.

---------------------

*third try* -- first frame of video frozen while audio advanced. "Seek worked." I let audio finish and then the player closed.

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try* -- as soon as webpage opened, got computer hang. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del.

---------------------

*second try* -- first frame of video frozen while audio advanced until end. As soon as audio finished, video started -- at some point near the end of the song -- and continued until end.

---------------------

*third try* -- black screen frozen while audio advanced. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* -- first frame of video frozen while audio advanced to end. When audio finished, video started -- from a point near end of song -- and played to end (without any audio).

---------------------

*second try* -- first frame of video frozen while audio advanced. "Seek worked." I let audio finish and then player closed.

---------------------

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced to end. Then video started (at some undetermined point in the song) and played -- in *super slow motion* and without audio -- until end.

---------------------

*second try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced to end. Then video started (at some undetermined point in the song) and played -- in *super slow motion* and without audio -- until end.

---------------------

*second try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* -- first frame of video (title page) was frozen on screen while audio advanced until it stopped at 2:38 (song was 3:22). Discovered I had a computer hang. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del.

---------------------

*second try* -- black screen frozen while audio advanced to end. As soon as audio ended, the video started (at some undetermined point in the song) and played normally -- no slow motion as discussed above for Firefox and Netscape, but still without audio -- until end.

---------------------

*third try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

MGMT "Time to Pretend"

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced from beginning to end. When audio was finished, player closed.

---------------------

*second try* -- as soon as webpage opened, I got a computer hang. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del.

---------------------

*third try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try* -- as soon as webpage opened, I got a computer hang. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del.

---------------------

*second try* -- as soon as webpage opened, I got *another* computer hang. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del. I'm going to reboot now to see if that helps. Got a clean reboot.

---------------------

*third try* -- as soon as webpage opened, I got *another* computer hang. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del. I will give it one more try. If I get another hang, I quit on this one.

---------------------

*fourth try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced from beginning to end. When audio was finished, player closed.

---------------------

*fifth try* -- music played for a second or two (with a black screen) and then I got another computer hang. Escaped via Ctrl+Alt+Del. I'm done with this one.

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* -- frozen black screen while audio advanced from beginning to end. When audio was finished, player closed.

---------------------

---------------------

MGMT "Electric Feel"

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- player opened with what was supposed to be a 20 sec video ad (as said at the bottom of the ad). Ad played *very* choppily -- both audio and video -- for about 10 sec. After ad finished, there was a frozen black screen and there was *never* any audio at all. Red line at bottom of player (which indicates how much of the song has played) was moving in super slow motion. For example, for the time indicator at bottom left of player to advance one second, it would take 3 to 4 *actual* real-time seconds. After watching for about 4 minutes I closed the browser. I did not want to sit there for 12 minutes watching the red line advance for what should have been a 4 minute song. (The first time I witnessed this behavior, I *did* sit there and watch the whole thing -- as discussed somewhere in the verbiage above.)

---------------------

*second try* -- player opened with same *choppy* ad discussed immediately above. After ad was over, there was a frozen black screen while audio advanced properly (i.e., no slow motion) from beginning to end. When audio finished, player closed.

---------------------

*third try* -- player opened with same *choppy* ad. Then there was a frozen black screen with audio advancing until 0.10 at which time I had a computer hang. Escaped with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

---------------------

*fourth try* -- player opened with same *choppy* ad. Then there was a frozen black screen with audio advancing normally. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try* -- player opened with same *choppy* ad. Then there was a frozen black screen with audio advancing normally. When audio was finished, player closed.

---------------------

*second try* -- player opened with same *choppy* ad. As soon as ad was over, I got another computer hang. Escaped with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

---------------------

*third try* -- player opened with same *choppy* ad. Then there was a frozen black screen with audio advancing normally. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* -- player opened with same *choppy* ad. Then there was a frozen black screen with audio advancing. But here, the *audio* was in slow motion (that is, the timer at the lower left of the player showed that 1 sec was *really* 3 to 4 sec.) I listened for 3 min (the video was 3:50) to see if something else might happen, but then I closed the browser -- the audio was just too painful to listen to.

---------------------

*second try* -- player opened with same *choppy* ad. Then I ran into the *exact* same problem discussed immediately above for the slow motion audio. I listened for 30 sec and then closed the browser.

---------------------

*third try* -- player opened with same *choppy* ad. Again I ran into the slow-motion timer problem discussed in "first try* and *second try* (again, 1 sec on the timer was actually 3 to 4 *real* sec). There was never any audio. But there was something *totally different* here. *Images from the video* were shown *throughout* the 3:50 ( 3 to 4 times that in *real time*) -- but because of the slow-motion timer, these images looked *exactly* as they would in a *slide show* made from the video. I have never seen anything like this before from a Flash Player.

---------------------

FIREFOX:

---------------------

*first try* -- frozen black screen with audio advancing *normally* (i.e., no slow motion issues) from start to end. As soon as audio ended, video started to play -- from some undetermined point in the song -- and continued to end. This video played without any audio.

---------------------

*second try* -- frozen black screen with audio advancing normally. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

NETSCAPE:

---------------------

*first try* -- frozen black screen with audio advancing normally from start to end. As soon as audio ended, video started to play -- from some undetermined point in the song -- and continued to end. This video played without any audio.

---------------------

*second try* -- frozen black screen with audio advancing normally. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

OPERA:

---------------------

*first try* -- frozen black screen with audio advancing normally from start to end. As soon as audio ended, video started to play -- from some undetermined point in the song -- and continued to end. This video played without any audio.

---------------------

*second try* -- in this case, it wasn't the black screen that was frozen, but an image of The Teddy Bears trio. Very likely, this image was the first image shown in the video. Nonetheless, it *stayed* frozen while the audio played normally from start to end. As soon as audio ended, video started to play -- from some undetermined point in the song -- and continued to end. This video played without any audio.

---------------------

*third try* -- frozen black screen with audio advancing normally. "Seek worked." I let audio finish, and then player closed.

---------------------

Task # 3 a) completed

Task # 4 a):

Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106IS

With Flash Player 8.0.5.0 and Patcher off

Perfect

Perfect

Perfect

MGMT "Time to Pretend"

Perfect

MGMT "Electric Feel"

Player opened with what was supposed to be a 20 sec video ad (as said at the bottom of the ad). Ad played *very* choppily -- both audio and video -- for about 10 sec until MGMT video started. Then, MGMT video played perfectly.

Perfect

Task # 4 a) completed

Task # 4 b ):

Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106IS

With Flash Player 8.0.5.0 and Patcher on

Perfect

Perfect

Perfect

MGMT "Time to Pretend"

Perfect

MGMT "Electric Feel"

Player opened with what was supposed to be a 20 sec video ad (as said at the bottom of the ad). Ad played *very* choppily -- both audio and video -- for about 10 sec until MGMT video started. Then, MGMT video played perfectly.

Perfect

Task # 4 b ) completed

Edited by dencorso
Added "code" tags to suppress the embedded players.

The erratic behavior sounds like timing problems. Your processor may be too slow when combined with the newer Software.

Performance would tend to improve when a Video is rerun as the Patches should have been already made and the Patcher is no longer invoked.

But you had successful plays followed by unsuccessful ones.

The Patches may be aggravating the problem as the original instructions probably were chosen to speed up performance on newer Processors.

Since you are not getting any "Illegal Instruction" Errors, the Patcher cannot do more.

Hi, larryb123456!

It's a lot of info... I think I'll have to digest is for some time. But it's already clear to me that:

1) RLoew's dynamic patcher doesn't cause any unforeseen adverse effect to your system (as the experiments with Flash 8 and Flash 9.0.47.0 have clearly shown).

2) RLoew's dynamic patcher in the current form is not enough for the higher flash versions to work OK. But it's not completely clear to me why. RLoew's dynamic patcher solves effectively the problem of the missing SSE instructions but that alone isn't enough, although it allows those versions of flash to run (even if erratically), but not to run correctly. But it should be enough. For the moment, all I can say is I'm flabbergasted. I sure hope RLoew can guess what's happening.

If 9.0.115.0 worked but 9.0.280.0 did not, I might have an expanation to the observed facts, but both seem to work equally badly, so whatever happened between 9.0.47.0 and 9.0.115.0 cannot be ascribed solely to the SSE instructions... there must be more to it.

The errors you're getting make me think flash 9.0.280.0 has buffering problems in your setup.

Hi again, dencorso:

Can you elaborate a little on this ?

I don't quite know what you mean by "setup". I'd guess that you are talking about my *computer* by using a "bold" word like setup. If you are talking about my computer, is there a way to analyze it's *capability* to resolve the "buffering problems" you suggest ? If it helps -- and I *certainly* don't know if it will help or not -- I have a Pentium ll 450 MHz CPU and 384 MB RAM.

Or, are you talking buffering problems with individual browsers ? Because when you mention Flash 9.0.280.0 (plugin) you --(most certainly ?)-- are talking browsers, too, since FP plugin *in the browser* is necessary for Flash video viewing..

If you are talking buffering problems in the *browser* as it plays a Flash video -- i.e., the little "red" line catching up with the "pink" line (as shown at the bottom of the player on YouTube, for example) -- I can provide the following info: for my IE, Firefox, and Netscape browsers, the pink line goes very fast and the red *never* catches up with the pink. But for Opera 9.64 (and even 10.10 when I had it installed) it's a different story: the red is always right on top of the pink which leads to a "stuttering" operation. Of course, if I let the pink go all the way to the right in the player, then Opera can play Flash videos great, because the red won't ever catch up with the pink if I start the red all the way to the left in the player.

But, I'd guess that you are referring to the inconsistent behavior of my system as it tries to play Flash 9.0.280.0 (and 9.0.115.0) because of all the computer hangs and the fact that if I go to the same webpage 3 times in a row, I'll likely get three different kinds of results.

Sorry, I rambled on. You don't have to give long answers in your response, just very, very short answers to the things I mentioned here. (Kind of like rloew did previously)

Thanks, dencorso for your help and patience. I am learning a lot here. BTW, your semi-colon editing of the system.ini file is great ! That's the way I'm turning the Patcher on and off -- so quick and so simple. (I edit through "Find > Files or Folders" so that I don't have to actually look thru the C:\Windows folder).

larryb123456

By "setup" I meant the totality of your computer, your operating system, the browser in question and the flash plugin in question, all taken inclusively. My remark is a very general one, almost a spelt out thought, put out half for myself, just to point out to you and RLoew along which lines I was (and still am thinking). All this vagueness reflects the fact I still cannot pinpoint the origin of your problem (if it is in the way the plugin is coded, a solution may be found, whereas if it lies on the interaction of the plugin with all those other components, then it's unlikely we'll ever solve it and get it to work). Now, since audio and video must be buffered before playing starts, I'd say some buffer filltime is getting much longer than expected, causing the loss of sync you've observed.

@ rloew post # 56 and

@ dencorso post # 57

Hello:

I posted # 58 before I saw your two posts.

My ! You all are indeed fast responders.

My post # 55 represents many long hours of intense concentration. In a word, there are

*no mistakes* in it to mislead you if you analize the results. I can guarantee you on that.

Rloew, you say the *Patcher* cannot do more. From that, I guess it would be a waste of time to analize post # 55 except to try to identify *other* factors that might enter in.

I have a Pentium ll 450 MHz processor if that info helps in regard to the "timing problems" and "erratic behavior". Also 384 MB RAM.

I just looked back at my post # 55, where -- in Task # 1-- with FP 9.0.280.0 -- for Bjork "All is Full of Love" -- the OPERA browser played the video three times with *no crashes* at all. These three successes were not in a row. I had played other videos -- with mixed results -- in between.

I should have kept running Bjork to see how many times she would play.

I think I will reinstall 9.0.280.0 tomorrow and see.

Even if it crashes I will keep running it over and over -- just for the Bjork video -- and post back the results. I vaguely remember you talking about copying the Flash files if a video played successfully, say, 50 or so times in a row. We can try that if you want -- nothing to lose, right ? But, that's for later.

The Opera Flash files are in a plugins folder so they will be easy to get to. That might be worth a try.

But first, I want to see how many times Opera can play Bjork. So far, it's on a winning streak.

But, first I have to get some rest. I have been up for 2 days straight. I can hardly see straight. You can see where I am coming from here, so *please* overlook any sloppy mistakes I made in the details here. (I was ultra sharp though when I made post # 55.)

Dencorso, I'll talk with you later. I've got to get some sleep now.

larryb 123456

I'll post back the results.