load grub2 from bootmgr

patronu

I don't want to see the third partition :)

Why? Which part list a third partition?

Does HP SmartStart 8.50 fake isohybrid approach work at real hardware?

Most likely HP SmartStart 8.50 won't find MBR in memory. MBR at disk is used to mount partition.

Also I found something with hide
This use a partiton type, not used by current OS.

You may change the 0x06, try 0x82 or another one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to test in a real environment but I get error 30: invalid argunment

I have 4 primary partition on the portable harddrive. I choose the fourth partition for this. I double checked the syntax but I don't see anything wrong.

I'm trying to test in a real environment but I get error 30: invalid argunment

I have 4 primary partition on the portable harddrive. I choose the fourth partition for this. I double checked the syntax but I don't see anything wrong.

Me too CANNOT see anything wrong, probably because I CANNOT see your syntax AT ALL! :whistle:

The general idea is:

1. you have a problem
  2. you post what you did
  3. someone tells you to try something else
  4. you try it and report

Right now all you have done is posting bits and pieces with NO background, nor relation between them.

If you have problems with grub4dos syntax/commands DO USE command line (and NOT pre-made menu.lst entries):

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/basics.htm

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/cli.htm

Post WHAT you are attempting to do, HOW you attempted doing it and the EXACT feedback grub4dos gave you, or get a standard reply #32:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2587

:ph34r:

Compare with:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

:yes:

jaclaz

title HP SmartStart 8.60 x86 - fake isohybrid (hd0,4)

ls /tools/boot/hp/SS86.iso || find --set-root /tools/boot/hp/SS86.iso

ls (hd0,0)/tools/boot/hp/writeMBR.usb001 && partnew (hd0,4) 0x82 /tools/boot/hp/ss86.iso

root (hd0,4)

kernel /system/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=396332 initrd=system/initrd.img init=/bin/init media=usb rw loglevel=3 ide=nodma ide=noraid nopat pnpbios=off vga=791 noexec32=off nox2apic splash=silent showopts

initrd /system/initrd.img

I hope you're happy now. I didn't post the entry from menul.lst because I was using the entry that cdob said. The only difference is that now I have tree partitions instead of two partions like it was the case in that example. So I think your comment is useless. Thank you.

Edited by patronu

Just for your interest, last time I checked when counting with 0 based, 4th partition was (hd0,3) and NOT (hd0,4). :whistle:

You know, like in:

AND NOT like in:

as you seem to be used to.

I hope you're happy now.

Sure. :)

I didn't post the entry from menul.lst because I was using the entry that cdob said.

You didn't use what cdob suggested, you tried a variation of it, without understanding that what cdob posted was ALREADY relative to last (4th partition) and that in grub4dos (hd0,4) means "first logical volume inside Extended Partition".

So I think your comment is useless. Thank you.

You are welcome. :)

Go trying helping people....:(

I'll refrain from posting any more useless comments, or comments at all.

Be well. :)

:hello:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Try a current grub4dos.

Boot grub4dos, open a command prompt, enter line by line.

I have the latest grub4dos. I tried line by line and it seems that partnew is the problem. if I specify first or second partition I get that it can't use the partion because it's used. I believe that there is a problem with the drive because it has 200gb. the last time that it worked I had an 80gb drive with 3 partitions. I'll try with a smaller drive to see if this is the problem. and where can I get the latest grub4dos. the last official version seems to be from 2009. now I have version 0.4.4.