How to disable WRP? Answer in post #12

xyu

As the topic subject says, I want to disable, nuke or remove Windows Resource Protection. The "specific reason" is that I don't want this fonction/feature/annoyance on my computer. Like many people disable Windows File Protection in Windows XP, I want to get rid of Windows Resource Protection in 7/Vista.

Could you be a bit more precise, what software are you talking about ?

Can you access all files and refistry keys on the computer without restriction and/or useless prompt ?

I would be so glad to be the owner of my own licensed and very expensive (a real insult when you can't administer it) operating system ...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still surprise that i couldn't find any answers yet about that main feature.

So how to disable, nuke, remove Windows Resource Protection ?

Just curious as to why you want to disable something that protects the registry, system files, etc.

Not trying to accuse anyone of anything, but often some have tried this to bypass wga. :hello:

@Blekthor

I don't need the other annoyance called WGA, and one of the first things i do when installing windows (xp, 7) is to kill the windows update service.

Once again I want to remove WRP because I want to modify/delete ANY file/directory/registry key without ANY promt. Clear and simple.

@iamtheky

Great thanks, I'll look into this, but it seems that I already try those.

Great thanks for this very nice trick, I hope it'll work also for registry keys.

And why disable windowsupdate is because seeing how it worked on xp, I prefer to choose them and download/install them myself, because after that I make my unattended installation, and the point of this unattended installation is to have a secured windows BEFORE going on the internet (an old habit o got from blaster worm).

• 1 month later...

THIS HOW-TO IS FOR WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 32-BIT AMERICAN-ENGLISH LANGUAGE VERSION.

I assume that this can be modified to also apply to 64-bit versions of Windows 7 by mentally replacing every instance of x86 with x64, but I cannot confirm this because I only have the 32-bit version.

---

WRP stands for windows resource protection. It is an abomination, & is something that you will want to disable or remove. To help with that, I have located all of the files & folders that are involved with wrp. This does not include anything in the registry, because Windows 7 does not search in there.

If you don't have Unlocker, you can download it from here. It will help alot.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

You will have to do these things for all of the files & folders listed here.

Right click a file or folder, go to Properties, Security tab, click "Advanced", go to Owner tab, click "Edit", click the "Replace owner on subcontainers & objects" box if it's there, click the name of your user account, click "Apply", & click 3 "OK" buttons.

Then click "Edit" & "Add", type "Everyone" without the quote marks, click "OK", click the top "Allow" box, click "Apply" & "Yes", & click 2 "OK" buttons. Finally, delete the files & folders listed here & restart your pc.

These are the files & folders that are involved with wrp. I have listed the files that are involved with wrp directly under the names of the folders that they are in.

C:\Windows\servicing

wrpintapi.dll

C:\Windows\winsxs\Manifests

x86_microsoft-windows-wrp-integrity-api_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_088f110a3b39d681.manifest

x86_microsoft-windows-wrp-integrity-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_2b1523604c99c736.manifest

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_0935b76c289e0fd5

wrpint.dll

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-wrp-integrity-api_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_088f110a3b39d681

wrpintapi.dll

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-wrp-integrity-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_2b1523604c99c736

sfc.exe

Edited by natsumerio

WRP stands for windows resource protection. It is an abomination, & is something that you will want to disable or remove. To help with that, I have located all of the files & folders that are involved with wrp. This does not include anything in the registry, because Windows 7 does not search in there.

So you are saying that in essence something that protects us from malware and user incompetance is something we WANT to disable???

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

So you are saying that something that protects us from malware & user incompetance is something we WANT to disable?

Protects us? When has wrp ever protected BLOATWARE 7 from viruses & such? Windows 7 needs tweaking, & I will not apologize for tweaking it.

But you ARE mis-leading the common user that this HAS to be disabled...

For the common joe user that encounters malware that could have been prevented by a system protected file.

Or the "Once in a blue moon" corrupted file\folder that wrp would AUTOMATICALLY restore. (Thus preventing total syetem failure)

Or the sad mistake of using a program or patch that f's up your system because it was designed wrong or not meant for your architecture.

The list goes on...

Yes wrp MAY be midly annoying to SOME power users. MOST people would want to keep it enabled or just temporarily bypass it.

I never said you should apologize I just think you are mistaken\misleading.

When hardrives are going for SUPER cheap (I mean pennies a gig) why is all this facination with space?

(If my math is right I just found a 1tb drive for 20cents a gig...)

Furthermore:

Windows Resource Protection works on a per-item basis by setting ACLs. Therefore, by taking ownership of any single item, that particular item can be replaced, while other items remain protected.
Edited by Kelsenellenelvian