Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

MSFN XP Codec-Pack 5.5

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
798 replies to this topic

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,532 posts

Donator

That's not a problem with my installer, thats specific to you, the inf file in my installer is the same as the one I wrote for swgreeds official version. The file renaming has been used in several of the last versions, including the non-official versions I released prior to swgreeds full implementation, without issue. It seems to me that you have already got a file with the same name as that to which you are renaming. If so instead of removing the line, why didn't you rename it to something else?

Either way, I have been considering one or two changes to the existing inf, so this problem may be looked at during that time. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

swgreed

swgreed

Unofficial Service Pack & Codec Pack maintainer

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
this error occurs if there's a "qasf.old" file present in your system32 folder.
by updating the pack, the original qasf.dll gets backuped before the installer overwrites it. this step was necessary, because it was not possible to overwrite qasf.dll directly. maybe Yzöwl got a better solution for this procedure? (maybe it's possible to delete the qasf.old if it exists, before the installer copies the new one?)

muiz

muiz

SPECIAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

That's not a problem with my installer, thats specific to you, the inf file in my installer is the same as the one I wrote for swgreeds official version. The file renaming has been used in several of the last versions, including the non-official versions I released prior to swgreeds full implementation, without issue. It seems to me that you have already got a file with the same name as that to which you are renaming. If so instead of removing the line, why didn't you rename it to something else?

Either way, I have been considering one or two changes to the existing inf, so this problem may be looked at during that time. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

If i use swgreed's way i dont have that problem , only if i use the installer.

this error occurs if there's a "qasf.old" file present in your system32 folder

Even if its not present , this happens.

Edited by muiz, 30 May 2006 - 07:47 AM.

swgreed

swgreed

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

I think, I found the "bug". If you have winrar or tomething similar, edit the installer and change following line:

Setup=rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection codec.inf, DefaultInstall,3
to
Setup=rundll32.exe "advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection codec.inf,DefaultInstall,3"

muiz

muiz

SPECIAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

I think, I found the "bug". If you have winrar or tomething similar, edit the installer and change following line:

Setup=rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection codec.inf, DefaultInstall,3
to
Setup=rundll32.exe "advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection codec.inf,DefaultInstall,3"

Lets try it out

thx

swgreed

swgreed

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Lets try it out

unfortunately it didn't work...
therefore I removed the method of renaming qasf.dll. Non-english windows systems might encounter a language specific message if the current file is to be overwritten by an english version. since even localized versions of wmp10 and wmp11 themselfes come with english-only versions of qasf.dll, I think the old specific version from wmp9 is no longer needed.
If you encounter this problem upon your 1st installation, you can also copy the new qasf.dl_ to your "i386" folder and overwrite the old one.

by the way, version 2.5 is out!
(I like Yzöwl's sfx-installation method, so I added it as well - if you want it to install "the old way", just extract the files within the exe!)

Edited by swgreed, 30 May 2006 - 07:10 PM.

smashly

smashly

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
Thank You for your codec pack once again :)

I notice that your not removing
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc]
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\l3codeca.acm"="Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec" 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"msacm.l3acm"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\l3codeca.acm"

So if I use your codec pack I would have 2 entries for Fraunhofer MP3 codec listed in windows Audio Codecs.
Even though I only have the 1 mp3 codec available.

Cheers.

Edit: Not sure if this is how to add the above to your existing codecs.inf under the sections listed?
[DefaultInstall]
DelReg			   = Remove.reg
[DefaultUninstall]
AddReg			   = Add.reg
[Remove.reg]
;Removes the old l3codeca entries upon install 
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc","%11%\l3codeca.acm"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32","msacm.l3acm"
[Add.reg]
;Adds the old l3codeca entries back on uninstall 
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc","%11%\l3codeca.acm"

as you can see I have no clue with .inf file writing/editing.

Edit2: I've been trying to make a basic mini cpl that houses the cpls from this codec pack.
So instead of my control panel being cluttered with 3 or so new cpls , I have 1 new cpl eg: Codecs Config.
When I launch that cpl a mini window opens with buttons available to launch the variuois codecs configuration interfaces.
I know sorta sounds silly but I wanted to play with AutoIt and thought why not..lol
So far I've got the gui done (as I said I'm learning...sloowwwly)
Actually the code for it is easy , but I was trying to make it dynamic by having it so a user can add other other buttons and assign those buttons to what they want (for other codec settings eg: QT , RM).
If I can get it to work correctly would any1 be intrested to add it to this pack?

Edited by smashly, 31 May 2006 - 02:10 AM.

swgreed

swgreed

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
hi smashly,

thanks for the info about "l3codeca". I'll fix this shortly...

your cpl-tool sounds very interesting. is there already a preview available.

smashly

smashly

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
The mini cpl can be used prob as is .. but the dynamic user assign button function isn't implemented yet.
So that means hard set buttons that a user can't edit. (unless they edit the script and compile again).
At present a very basic small window which has close and minimize on the top bar and 4 buttons with the appropriate icon image on it for the relevant interface it calls are in the window center. Can make it resizable very easily (this will be for when I get the dynamic part worked out)..
It's as an exe with a cpl that points to it.
will post it tomorrow as I've not got it here with me at work tonight..

On another note...

Small recap on the mp3 install/uninstall side of things
I think I found a few small bits to tidy up:

1) l3codecx.ax filter that is updated doesn't get backdated when codec pack is uninstalled.
It gets unregistered and deleted atm.
I've updated the codec.inf rename of file to l3codecx.old on install and to l3codecx.ax on uninstall of codec pack by adding:
[Old.Uns]
L3codecx.old, L3codecx.ax

[Put.Back]
L3codecx.ax, L3codecx.old
Maybe add another section for re-register l3codecx.old after renaming back to l3codecx.ax upon uninstall. (I'm Looking into that but ran out of time)

2) Also under your codecs.inf sections:
[DefaultUninstall]
DelReg			   = Reg.Settings, Downgrade.It, Reg.Uninstall

[Downgrade.It]
; Fixes broken mp3 playback in WMP due to msacm.l3acm downgrade
HKLM,%SCC%\{7D8EA000-731E-11d0-AC50-00AA00BF35C4}\InProcServer32,,,"%11%\l3codeca.acm"
This entry should be added on uninstall , if I read this correctly you've got it deleting that entry. (I'm probly reading wrong, I'm not to cluey with inf files)

Maybe should be put under AddReg :
[DefaultUninstall]
DelReg			   = Reg.Settings, Reg.Uninstall
AddReg			   = Downgrade.It

[Downgrade.It]
HKCR,CLSID\{7D8EA000-731E-11d0-AC50-00AA00BF35C4}\InProcServer32,,,"%11%\l3codeca.acm"
HKLM,%SCC%\{7D8EA000-731E-11d0-AC50-00AA00BF35C4}\InProcServer32,,,"%11%\l3codeca.acm"
Myself I just tagged the AddReg part to the bottom of the [DefaultUninstall] Section
and add the extra line for HKCR entry. Since default clean install of windows xp gold or windows xp fully updated regaurdless of wmp version has this entry then why not return it back on uninstall?

3)My earlier post resolve for the double entry of the mp3 codec on install/uninstall maybe add:
[DefaultInstall]
DelReg			   = remove.l3a

[DefaultUninstall]
AddReg			   = l3a.restore, Downgrade.It

[remove.l3a]
;Removes the old l3codeca.acm driver description reg entry upon install 
HKLM,"%SMWntCv%\drivers.desc","%11%\l3codeca.acm"

[l3a.restore]
;Adds the old l3codeca.acm reg entries back on uninstall 
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc","L3codeca.acm",,"Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32","msacm.l3acm",,"L3codeca.acm"

4) really not sure what the diff is but I also change both HKCR key for the CLSID as well as the HKLM CLSID reg entry.
I do this on install and uninstall. Since I'm renaming the old l3codeca.acm and now using it's CLSID for for the l3codecp.acm as a replacement then I wan't the same CLSID entries for the new:
[Upgrade.It]
; Fixes broken mp3 playback in WMP due to msacm.l3acm upgrade
HKCR,CLSID\{7D8EA000-731E-11d0-AC50-00AA00BF35C4}\InProcServer32,,,"%11%\l3codecp.acm"
HKLM,%SCC%\{7D8EA000-731E-11d0-AC50-00AA00BF35C4}\InProcServer32,,,"%11%\l3codecp.acm"  

[Downgrade.It]
HKCR,CLSID\{7D8EA000-731E-11d0-AC50-00AA00BF35C4}\InProcServer32,,,"%11%\l3codeca.acm"

5)I used the old entry for msacm.l3acm... your entry:
[Reg.Settings]
HKLM,"%SMWntCv%\Drivers32",msacm.l3codecp,,"l3codecp.acm"

The edited entry I'm using:
[Reg.Settings]
HKLM,"%SMWntCv%\Drivers32",msacm.l3acm,,"l3codecp.acm"
thought why not since I'm replacing l3codeca.acm with l3codecp.acm. I haven't had any probs with it set this way and all my apps and games that require msacm.l3acm seem to work fine.

More to come but ran out of time to play.

Once again Thank You for this Rock'n codec pack...

Cheers

Edit: I've added DivX3.11 codecs (only the vid codec). Doh I thought I had no need for it anymore.. but this pack won't play DivX3.11 formats without added codecs. Either ffdshw or divx3.11 is needed. Even though gspot reports otherwise and fails.
I don't encode in NanDub SBC with 3.11 these days , but I still have alot of my old encodes that are in this format and I'm not gunna re-encode em. Surely I'm not the only one to notice this, or is it just me ?

Edited by smashly, 01 June 2006 - 03:15 AM.

swgreed

swgreed

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
no idea... it's the same file as in the k-lite codec pack...

smashly

smashly

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

your cpl-tool sounds very interesting. is there already a preview available.

it's at it's most basic it can be atm (4 buttons , what could possibly go wrong? !BANG!)
Preview Here
for xp
Unpack files to system32
remove or rename the 4 old codec cpls in system32

this preview may not work properly with kels addon version, not sure , haven't checked.
as well there's no error handling in it's code if CMC can't find the file it's looking for.
(it is a preview after all...lol)

cheers

Edit:
Updated preview cmc to v0.0.0.2.
Link updated
Changes are minimal..
Got rid of tray icon and added window Always On Top.

Edited by smashly, 02 June 2006 - 09:36 AM.

muiz

muiz

SPECIAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
The latest version is corrupted winrar says.

CRC failed in WMVDMOD.DL_
Unexpected end of archive

Edited by muiz, 02 June 2006 - 08:50 PM.

smashly

smashly

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
Hmm that seems strange , I've dl'd that 2.5 in the first post 2 times in the past 3 days.
Both times the archive showed no crc errors when tested. Both times the archive extracted without error.
I must be lucky.

odd.

Cheers

swgreed

swgreed

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

The latest version is corrupted winrar says.

CRC failed in WMVDMOD.DL_
Unexpected end of archive

Weird... It must have been corrupted while moving some directories on the webservers.
I re-uploaded it again.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,532 posts

Donator

I've just dl'd, but noticed a difference in the SFX from my last one(s). TempMode, (or unpack to Temporary Folder), hasn't been set!

swgreed

swgreed

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
I readded "TempMode", although it does not seem to make any difference here during the installation process.
I also added the possibility to backup the original l3codecx.ax, so it will be restored on uninstallation

Edited by swgreed, 03 June 2006 - 06:25 AM.

bledd

bledd

msfn is a friend of mine!

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,733 posts
excuse my ignorance but 23 pages is a lot to read through..

if i'm using the nlite pack, what can i remove with nlite? and do i need to keep WMP compatability..

i use mpc + winamp, but would like to be able to play wmv if i need to (and have firefox wmv compatability

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,795 posts
I found what I consider to be a large issue! When the pack is uninstalled it removes the windows media player codecs...

swgreed

swgreed

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

I found what I consider to be a large issue! When the pack is uninstalled it removes the windows media player codecs...

That came with the concept of this pack... It was never meant to be uninstalled, since it had to be integrated into an unatteded installation right from the beginning.
This uninstallation feature is completely new. The inf-installer has to be modified so it will backup the original wmp-codec files first.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,532 posts

Donator

That came with the concept of this pack... It was never meant to be uninstalled, since it had to be integrated into an unatteded installation right from the beginning.
This uninstallation feature is completely new. The inf-installer has to be modified so it will backup the original wmp-codec files first.

That's the main reason behind my saying

Either way, I have been considering one or two changes to the existing inf

The inf concept being a recent adoption, uninstallation of the pack was not intended, just a handy by-product.

Gee

Gee

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
I would leave it the way it is. It should not be installed. I am still using the old method and just registering the files. However, I think I may have to go with the new new .inf method as I am too busy to keep up with all the updates.

This thread should be stickied right under the Hotfix one from Incroyable Hulk. Definitely my two favourite threads.

Edited by Gee, 03 June 2006 - 01:52 PM.

smashly

smashly

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
Thankyou for the mild update :), would of missed it if I didn't read your Post #668 in this thread (since there's no version change or MD5 to crosscheck what's for dl and what I have already dl'd ) Please add MD5 to first post or something to know the differance of updated same number versions.

I'm aware that the uninstall of the codec pack is a side effect or beta or whatever...but,

Are you going to register the l3codecx.ax filter on uninstall of the code pack as well?
Atm your renaming the file back on uninstall , but your not registering it. (does it make a diff?, not sure)

Add to the bottom of [DefaultUninstall] section and add new section [l3x.Regold] something like:
[DefaultUninstall]
RegisterDlls		 = l3x.Regold

[l3x.Regold]
11,,l3codecx.ax, 1
------------------

Your still removing an entry instead of adding an entry on uninstall!
This is what you have.

[DefaultUninstall]
DelReg			   = Reg.Settings, Downgrade.It, Reg.Uninstall

[Downgrade.It]
Just to be CLEAR , This entry is to be ADDED on uninstall of codec pack. It is there before I install this pack.
as well as the HKCR\CLSID entry (which is nowhere to be seen on removal of codec pack).
(If I'm reading this wrong inform me please)
-----------------------

(providing I'm reading the above correctly)
Once again this above entry should be more like:
[DefaultUninstall]
AddReg			   = Downgrade.It

[Downgrade.It]
These entries are there before install of codec pack, I'd like em the same way at uninstall please.

-------------------------
Maybe you might add DivX 3.11 vid support? maybe not..lol.
Mainly only need the divxC32.dll and divxc32f.dll and then DivX6 filter (divxdec.ax) can playback divx3.11 formats.
The divx3.11 filter (divx_C32.ax) seems to take second preference to the divx6 (divxdec.ax) filter.
All this means is there's no access to divx 3.11 filter ajustments. But at least 3.11 will play!

Here's the entries and whatnot. (corrected my bad the info in this , reuploaded)

If you go with it , it's upto you to decide if you want the divx3.11 filter (divx_C32.ax) or not.

--------------
Watching this codec pack progress is like watching a game of chess from the sideline.
I can always see checkmate in 2 or 3.... But when I play the game I barely see checkmate in 20.
My post aren't meant to be nitpicking, but when I read back what I write it looks this way..sorry
If my constant nitpicking is annoying you then say and I'll stop posting..lol

Thank You once again for this b***h'n codec pack...All Good

Cheers.

Edit:
Just noticed your entires for:
[DefaultInstall]
AddReg			   = Reg.Settings, Upgrade.It, Reg.Uninstall, Remove.reg

[Remove.reg]
I really must be reading this wrong , some1 please tell me so :/
That above entry , to me reads that it's adding those entries upon install , it should be removing them.

If I'm reading it correctly it should be:
[DefaultInstall]
DelReg			   = Remove.reg

[Remove.reg]

Edit2:
Also noticed your not retuning the value on unistall.
Your entry:
[Add.reg]

Should be something like this. (not sure if this is the correct way, but the value is this):
[Add.reg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc","%11%\l3codeca.acm",,"Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32","msacm.l3acm",,"%11%\l3codeca.acm"

There's a test inf with just the mp3 entries for add and remove attched to this post. Does what it should.
(I just used codecs.inf to put it together as a tester) Use it's entries if you like.

almost forgot...

(Yzöwl @ May 30 2006, 09:54 AM)
Either way, I have been considering one or two changes to the existing inf

Yes please work your magic ;)

Attached Files

Edited by smashly, 04 June 2006 - 01:14 AM.

muiz

muiz

SPECIAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
latest version gives a popup screen

Attached Files

smashly

smashly

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

latest version gives a popup screen

And I thought it was just something I was doing.

Wonder if that has to do with TempMode? haven't checked
Myself I just moved the codec pack into a sfx 7z

on another note..
I notice the ac3filter.cpl when launched only works in offline mode.
Any1 now the cmd to launch it online mode ?

Cheers

Dumpy Dooby

Dumpy Dooby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Do you think you could possibly make a Real and Quicktime alternative pack as well? They can be seperated from this pack. They're in some other custom codec pack that you can find on here. The creator stopped updating his pack, though. So I'd be nicer if someone else could step in and start making them. :(

IceBlackIce> ill just take you are not a experienced person with coding [source]
^lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN