Relearning PHP again

A little different this time because I am running my own server. I suspect the possibility that I do not have PHP running properly. I am working on porting a CMS I had created for another website and use it for one I am working on now. My problem is that some of the code doesn't seem to like PHP5 or else I don't have it set up correctly.

For example, I have verified that I can get data out of a MySQL database, but some functions or methods do not work. One of them is mysql_num_rows(). Apache complains that mysql_num_rows() is an undefined method. This should work properly without having to define it, isn't it a public/built-in function?

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-num-rows.php

Also the code originally said to use getNumRows() but this does not work either. As far as the actual function goes, it is to count how many results are returned from the database. In this case, there will either be 1 or 0. The information is located in the database, and should pull 1 entry, but instead it just makes this error. Everything else in the script up to this point is working...

Any ideas?