Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows XP SP3 losing mouse connection occasionally

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

tech_boy

tech_boy

• Members
  • 43 posts
Hi Guys,

Every now and again a friends PC loses its PS-2 mouse. Plugging in a USB mouse solved the problem in the short term, then I ran MalwareBytes and it found and removed a few trojans... once i'd rebooted, the PC found the PS-2 mouse again.

Thought the problem was solved... until the very same thing happened 3 days later... and then 4 days after that! Now i'd be happy to believe that the first time was fair-game, but he's got fairly adequate anti-virus (if you can call McAfee adequate) so I don't know whether it could be the anti-virus that isn't working or whether there is a deeper problem? Is the anti-virus leaking trojans or is the computer just being rubbish?

Cheers in advance,

Jon

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,181 posts
If optical, does the light go off ? If yes, hardware problem.

rilef

rilef

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
I've had this happen to me several times, each time for a different reason (all hardware related):

Check the PS-2 cable connection(s). They may be loose or bad. Sometimes removing and replacing the mouse several times may fix the problem. And/or clean the connection(s) with an electronic spray cleaner.

Replacing the mouse may fix the problem.

The PS-2 port on the computer may be dirty or bad. If cleaning the port doesn't fix the problem, fix by using a USB mouse or install a PS-2 expansion board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN