Anti-Virus issues

HardDriv'n

Hi.

I was trying out some anti-virus options for a friend, and encountered these problems.

1.) I installed Avira (free edition), had to many problems with it, and uninstalled it. The problem, even if minor? The 'Security Center' shows 'Avira Solution Pro' as being installed, and 'on'. I've double-checked everything I could think of, but it still wont go away.

2.) I then reverted to installing the stable AVG Free, even if it doesn't have the best detection rate. For some reason it continually deactivates the Windows Defender upon each reboot. Is this really necessary for proper functioning, or can I have a double shield running?

In the end I'd like this PC to have a double dose of protection, because of the individual's browsing habits. Are there any programs that will allow this?

BTW - It already has a functioning paid version of 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware', with the 'Protection Module' running.

Best double dose of protection I have found is Prevx3. Runs silently with a small footprint and makes an excellent second tier protection.

I would also use Microsoft Security Essentials as the first line of defense. At least it behaves well with the installed MS OS.

I think you need to get to the bottom and eliminate the poor Avira uninstall. Try installing either of the free programs REVO UNINSTALLER or ZSOFT UNINSTALLEr and see if it can root out the left overs from Avira. You may even have to install again Avira and then use REVO in aggressive mode to clean it properly out of the registry. Note the Free Revo doesn't work on 64 bit OS only the paid version.

I have found Malwarebytes better to run as a batch process, say once per week, and not have it running in the background. Certainly not needed if you use Prevx3, as that does a good job on most things

Edited by Kotuku