Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows Automated Install Kit - create standard image of Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Backdraft

Backdraft
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 05-September 10
Hi,

Dunno if this is the correct forum, but I searched and saw this thread that hadn't been active in over a year.

Anyways, I have two computers, a desktop and laptop. I want to create a custom, tweaked Windows 7 image (but without any extraneous applications installed) that is capable of being deployed onto both of these systems, so that instead of doing a custom install of Windows 7 and re-doing all those little, time-consuming tweaks, I can just deploy this standard image of Windows 7 onto either of these machines when I want to do a "fresh" install.

My question is, is the correct way to do this to use the WAIK for Windows 7 and follow along the lines of these instructions? And that will create an image of Windows 7 I can use for multiple computers, even ones that have differing hardware?

Thanks.

Edited by Backdraft, 16 September 2010 - 04:35 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,925 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Welcome to the MSFN!

:hello:

I will move this to the Unattend forum (which was were that topic you found was in) and you can also check out these links:
http://www.msfn.org/...beta-build-230/
http://www.msfn.org/...-for-windows-7/

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

TrAvELAr

TrAvELAr

Junior

• Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 12-November 03
That's one way to do it and will accomplish what you want.

Photek

Photek

• 28 posts
  • Joined 12-March 10

I can just deploy this standard image of Windows 7 onto either of these machines when I want to do a "fresh" install.

An alternative is to use the built in system image feature.
Yes, you still need to do all settings on all computers once, but since you only have to do it on two it's not that much of a deal.
The good thing is that you don't have to spend time learning how to use WAIK.
After making a system image, you can just use it to get back to a fresh install very easily, with or without installed programs.
Keeping the users folders on a different partition is a must.

Sorry if I'm posting the obvious here.

Edited by Photek, 22 September 2010 - 04:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users