Windows Automated Install Kit - create standard image of Windows 7

Hi,

Dunno if this is the correct forum, but I searched and saw this thread that hadn't been active in over a year.

Anyways, I have two computers, a desktop and laptop. I want to create a custom, tweaked Windows 7 image (but without any extraneous applications installed) that is capable of being deployed onto both of these systems, so that instead of doing a custom install of Windows 7 and re-doing all those little, time-consuming tweaks, I can just deploy this standard image of Windows 7 onto either of these machines when I want to do a "fresh" install.

My question is, is the correct way to do this to use the WAIK for Windows 7 and follow along the lines of these instructions? And that will create an image of Windows 7 I can use for multiple computers, even ones that have differing hardware?

Thanks.

Edited by Backdraft

I can just deploy this standard image of Windows 7 onto either of these machines when I want to do a "fresh" install.

An alternative is to use the built in system image feature.

Yes, you still need to do all settings on all computers once, but since you only have to do it on two it's not that much of a deal.

The good thing is that you don't have to spend time learning how to use WAIK.

After making a system image, you can just use it to get back to a fresh install very easily, with or without installed programs.

Keeping the users folders on a different partition is a must.

Sorry if I'm posting the obvious here.

Edited by Photek