PE Tool for creating patches

WildBill

1. KB957280 is not a hotfix (by request).

2. ntdsa.dll version 5.0.2195.7313 is already included in one of the other updates (I don't remember which one now but it's not a hotfix (by request))

3. My Rollup is not intended to include the newest versions. HBR Mini Rollup contains files which originally belong to hotfixes (by request).

49 hotfixes (by request) are listed on bristols' page. 43 of them are combined into one in this rollup.

Edited by tomasz86

I found the problem with comctl32.dll and posted a V6 of KB2479628 (based on the V5 one), and updated the download link. My patch to Imagelist_AddMasked wasn't correctly returning the success/failure result...

Edited by WildBill

Great :thumbup

but...

you put browseui.dll twice ;) there should be only one left in the xpsp2_binarydrop folder :)

@edit

I suspected something because size of the new file was about 500 kb larger than v5 :lol:

Actually it shouldn't matter as update.inf contains only links to xpsp2_binarydrop\browseui.dll but I'm not so sure about how HFSLIP would react to the second browseui.dll, especially concerning IE5/6 compatibility.

Just in case I quickly made a v6a version without the second unnecessary browseui.dll :)

Windows2000-KB2479628-v6a-x86-ENU.exe

@edit

Just to prove that everything is OK now:

tlfjg.png

Great job WildBill B)

Edited by tomasz86

1. KB957280 is not a hotfix (by request).

2. ntdsa.dll version 5.0.2195.7313 is already included in one of the other updates (I don't remember which one now but it's not a hotfix (by request))

3. My Rollup is not intended to include the newest versions. HBR Mini Rollup contains files which originally belong to hotfixes (by request).

49 hotfixes (by request) are listed on bristols' page. 43 of them are combined into one in this rollup.

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?autocom=downloads&showcat=15

Also thank you guys for the fixes.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Can you add these files

WINDOWS2000-KB918622-X86-ENU.EXE

WINDOWS2000-KB948745-X86-ENU.EXE

WINDOWS2000-KB957280-X86-ENU.EXE

thanks

918622 is replaced by 961501.

948745 is replaced by 961063.

:thumbup Ntdsa.dll version 5.0.2195.7313 is in 973037.

957280 is replaced by 973037.

Edit

Although not every file in the 'Hotfixes by Request' on my Updates page is the latest version, those particular hotfixes are listed there because they contain at least one latest official version of a file (the latest version known to me, anyway). If anyone knows that another update contains files that make obsolete any of the updates that I list, please let me know!

Edited by bristols

Great :thumbup

but...

you put browseui.dll twice ;) there should be only one left in the xpsp2_binarydrop folder :)

@edit

I suspected something because size of the new file was about 500 kb larger than v5 :lol:

Actually it shouldn't matter as update.inf contains only links to xpsp2_binarydrop\browseui.dll but I'm not so sure about how HFSLIP would react to the second browseui.dll, especially concerning IE5/6 compatibility.

Just in case I quickly made a v6a version without the second unnecessary browseui.dll :)

Windows2000-KB2479628-v6a-x86-ENU.exe

@edit

Just to prove that everything is OK now:

tlfjg.png

Great job WildBill B)

Thanks for catching that. Just to be safe I made a 6a without the unnecessary DLL and updated the list.

WildBill,

Do you think it might be possible to port IE8 to Windows 2000?

It would probably require to modify a lot of system files and add all the required functions from XP in order to get it work but still a working IE8 would give a new life to the old Win2k :)

The structure of IE8 installer package is almost the same as normal update.

Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP

I'm intentionally not saying anything about IE7 as its engine is basically the same as IE6 so it doesn't give us any real benefits over IE6.

Edited by tomasz86

I tried to run IE7 without installing some time ago and see what system files are needed in order to do it. As far as I remember, the first one it asks for it's urlmon.dll and it seems that it's possible to replace the native W2k one with the newer IE7 version. However, the next dll file made the system unable to boot. It was 1-2 months ago so I don't remember which one was that.

Still I think it would be much more useful and fruitful to try doing IE8 and just skip IE7. It doesn't really bring anything special as its engine is the same as IE6. Porting it to W2k will surely be a hard and painful work but the gain is going to be very little.

Regarding 2479628, I've got a couple of things to report.

Firstly, there seems to be a problem with Browseui.dll and HFSLIP when FDV's Fileset is used (with IE6). When slipstreaming, Browseui.dll doesn't get copied from 2479628 into the HFSLIP source (even though other IE6 files do). And, when installing 2479628 manually on an HFSLIPped system that used FDV's Fileset, Browseui.dll does not install. Until now, I had overlooked this!

Note: I say "when FDV's Fileset is used", but I haven't tried without using FDV's Fileset. It seems that no-one else has experienced these issues when using HFSLIP, so I am assuming that this particular fileset is responsible somehow for the problem. I guess some crucial thing that identifies the system as IE6-based is missing from a system built with FDV's Fileset.

Secondly, even after copying/installing Browseui.dll from 2479628 (using the Recovery Console), I'm seeing this:

post-74345-0-77427500-1306160171_thumb.p

Icons shown on the File Properties window (right-click on a file and choose Properties...) show black shadows instead of transparency (unlike icons in the Start Menu, which do show transparency fine). They appear like this regardless of whether I have installed browseui.dll from 2479628 or not.

Also, I'm still seeing the whitewashed system tray icons.

Edited by bristols

Strange because I don't have these problems with icons:

vSNCk.pngy1k3w.png

Are you using the newest version (v6a) of 2479628?

As for IE6, update.inf identifies IE version basing on this

HKLM, "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer", "Version", "REG_SZ", "6.0.2800.1106"

Could you check your version?

Edited by tomasz86

Could you also check what happens when you use FDV fileset and slipstream

KB900725

and check which version of shlwapi.dll is copied?

It should be 6.0.2800.1740 in case of IE6 and 5.0.3900.7068 when IE5 is present.

The mechanism of copying these dlls is exactly the same as I used in 2479628.

Edited by tomasz86

Are you using the newest version (v6a) of 2479628?

Yep.

As for IE6, update.inf identifies IE version basing on this

HKLM, "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer", "Version", "REG_SZ", "6.0.2800.1106"

Could you check your version?

Ah, now we're getting somewhere.... Throughout the registry, IE6 is identified as version 6.0.2900.5512 (IE6 from XP SP3). I'm 99% sure that this version number was supplied by FDV's Fileset (although I'm unsure as to why). It occurs several times in FDV's IE.IN_ file:

[strings]

ASETUP_VERSIONC = "6,0,2900,5512" ; ver6

[ie.ver.6.patched]

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer","build",,"62900.5512"

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer","Version",,"6.0.2900.5512"

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer","W2kVersion",,"6.0.2900.5512"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\InstallInfo","Version",,"6.0.2900.5512"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ieupdate","RequiresIESysFile",,"6.0.2900.5512"

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4340}","Version",,"6,0,2900,5512"

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Install Check","IE40",,"6.0.2900.5512"

I don't know whether specifying this later version number is somehow necessary for FDV's Fileset to successfully do its thing, but I suspect so, since it contrasts with the 'original' version number 6.0.2800.1106 specified in the "ie.ver.6.orig" section of the IE.IN_ file.

More testing needed. :)

Edited by bristols

I know what ought to be done to get it to work with FDV fileset.

But I need to do some tests myself before uploading the fixed version ;)

Edited by tomasz86