Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

PE Tool for creating patches

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
672 replies to this topic

discdude

discdude

• 11 posts

Ahhh.

Finally.

The VM with my rewritten kernel32 comes up with no errors. I have maybe half a dozen more routines to add, and then the question is, how to test it in the community?

I would just release it with a warning that it is a test version that should only be used in a virtual machine or a secondary system (i.e., not your only computer). The Windows 2000 community is pretty small so (hopefully) you won't get buried with vague bug reports.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dagorlad

Dagorlad
  • 6 posts

The VM with my rewritten kernel32 comes up with no errors. I have maybe half a dozen more routines to add, and then the question is, how to test it in the community?

In about 3 weeks I should have a spare system available for testing on actual hardware. Just need to get a few more hardware bits for my upcoming physical server relocation so I don't have to swap cables around to boot it.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
That would help a lot. I'm having a problem hunting down a bug that I see in the VM when trying to open an app in WinDbg. I'm trying somethng simple (calc.exe). The bug is that the debugger starts calc at an invalid address.

On another issue, is anyone having problems uploading to Mediafire? I have a v17 of MS11-011 but I've been unable to upload it.. It keeps failing with a -503 permissions error. I deleted some old versions to free up some space in case it was a folder size problem, but that hasn't helped.

MacLover

MacLover

• 30 posts
I will also have a spare system ready for testing at the end of the week.

Also, I noticed that this month's Security Updates ISO does not include a Windows 2000 IE6 update despite the fact that MS13-037 fixed 3 critical vulnerabilities (every other Critical IE patch had a Win2k update in that month's ISO (except for the January 2013 Out-of-band patch, which was in the February ISO.))

EDIT: The spare machine in question (a laptop) just had its cooling fan fail, so my tests may be delayed until I can get another machine ready or fix the fan. Turns out all that was wrong was that the fan was caked with about two years worth of dust...

Edited by MacLover, 23 May 2013 - 01:15 AM.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Well, I finally managed to get KB2393802 v17 uploaded. I've been trying to get this posted for months. It turns out that MediaFire is imposing a file size limit, and I had to upload it as a pair of ZIP files.

The update includes the netman.dll and secur32.dll fixes I posted about in another thread.

I'm still stumped as to the bug in my kernel32 rewrite. Maybe tomorrow I'll post it plus the full source.

Edited by WildBill, 26 May 2013 - 02:42 PM.

piotrhn

piotrhn

• 43 posts
Hi,

The second file Windows2000-KB2393802-v17-x86-ENU_001.zip, have a wrong CRC32 checksum.
I can't extract archive. Please re-upload.
Thanks for updating.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
I updated the file and the link. Bear in mind that it's a split archive: you only have to extract from Windows2000-KB2393802-v17-x86-ENU.zip and it will extract from both files.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Below is the link to v1 of my kernel32 rewrite. It includes a VS2005 project, full source, and a compiled DLL.

DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON YOUR MAIN SYSTEM

I'm posting this because I've hit a wall on a bug and I need help :(

Windows2000-kernel32-rewrite-v1.zip

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
There appear to be multiple problems downloading and unpacking the split archive files for KB2393802-v17. I crawled through MediaFire's knowledge base and found something that is letting me upload the standard .exe installer again. Apparently my browser doesn't like their HTML5 uploader, and there is a setting to disable it. I updated the link on the main listing, and it should let you download a standard installer like earlier versions.

Dubby

Dubby

• 17 posts
I have tried your kernel... and I was unable to debug anything using ollydbg... so I pick another way... I'm attaching the olly to explorer process.
here is the LOG file produced by olly.. there are two LOGs files.. the name of the file should be obvious...
I have no idea whether this is useful or not... :blushing:

btw you have done such an impressive work... :thumbup
hope this helps...

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   3.99KB   6 downloads

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts
Thanks! Every little bit helps. Lately I've been crawling through backup.cpp tp try to fix some reported bugs. I definitely found one, but I haven't finished going through it. I tried fixing the bug when trying to install software and I really need help there. One thing I need to check is all calls to FsRtlxxx routines to make sure I'm using the right structures.

On another note, I just posted KB2479628-v8. It adds stub support for these routines in user32.dll:

RegisterRawInputDevices
GetRawInputData
GetRawInputDeviceInfoA
GetRawInputDeviceInfoW
GetRawInputDeviceList
GetRawInputBuffer
DefRawInputProc

They're just stubs and return zero and/or failure where appropriate, but they let you use programs that import them, like the latest version of FreeCAD.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts

I have tried your kernel... and I was unable to debug anything using ollydbg... so I pick another way... I'm attaching the olly to explorer process.
here is the LOG file produced by olly.. there are two LOGs files.. the name of the file should be obvious...
I have no idea whether this is useful or not... :blushing:

btw you have done such an impressive work... :thumbup
hope this helps...

Do you still have those logs? I tried unzipping the file and I can't extract them. 7-zip can't extract it at all and ZipGenius only creates zero-length files :(

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
@WildBill 7-Zip works for me. Are you using the newest version? Mine is 7-Zip 9.30 alpha.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,844 posts

Donator

I confirm WildBill's finding: both WinRAR 4.20 and 7-zip 9.20 are unable to open the zip in post # 635.
Since you can do it, please do repack it as a normal zip or a cab and attach it, please.

Dubby

Dubby

• 17 posts
l'm really sorry, currently I'm away from my development PC, where I store the logs. I have also confirmed that the file is indeed corrupt. I managed to extract only a single file. here the log I managed to extract.. the log produced while I'm attaching olly into explorer processes..
Spoiler

hope this helps..

Dubby

Dubby

• 17 posts
:hello: I found Bug in your SearchPathA function.. please examine carefully at "result variable" at line 28898, kernel32.cpp, the "result" is initialized with zero thus causes the last param for RtlUnicodeToMultiByteN to zero... maybe you intended to put something else there? :whistle:

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts

Good catch! I'm going to test it right now and see if this fixes some problems.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts

That seems to have solved several problems, so here is a link to v3 of my kernel32 rewrite. Please keep the feedback coming!

http://www.mediafire...-rewrite-v3.zip

MacLover

MacLover

• 30 posts

It seems that the rewritten kernel32 causes mshta.exe to consistently crash when running Add/Remove Programs. It also seems to make the Windows Post-install Wizard really unstable and sometimes crash in mshta.exe.

Edited by MacLover, 21 July 2013 - 08:10 PM.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts

I finally got sick of Dependency Walker complaining about that one missing 9x API call in mpr.dll and decided to do something about it. Up now is KB2508429 v10, which adds the routine (it actually maps it to an existing one that appears to do the same thing).

I'm still occasionally working on fixing my kernel32 rewrite; I found one tiny bug but that wasn't the one I'm looking for. I captured a big log yesterday from my VM and I'll take a look at it to see what it tells me.

leonidij

leonidij

• 17 posts

Hello WildBill.

You like forgot to update the link of

Windows2000-KB2508429-v10-x86-ENU.exe

in your 3rd post here.

It still goes to the v9 download from 2012.

And I seems have found 3 bugs in user32.

You can see details in this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/...win2000/page-19

from post #464 and onward.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts

Thanks for catching that. I updated the link so it points to the right version. I'll take a look at user32 when I get a chance (at present I need to add some things to kernel32.dll)

I also posted KB2393802 v18, which adds some new API calls:

halacpi.dll
halmacpi.dll

KeAcquireInStackQueuedSpinLock
KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLock

ntoskrnl.exe
ntkrmlpa.exe
ntkrnlmp.exe
ktkrpamp.exe

IoCsqInitialize
IoCsqInsertIrp
IoCsqRemoveIrp
IoCsqRemoveNextIrp

Since this is the first time I made any changes to hal.dll I held onto this one for quite a while to make sure it's okay. All seems good here, so I've decided to release it into the wild.

Edited by WildBill, 22 October 2013 - 02:54 PM.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts

Just a little heads-up...I updated KB2393802 and KB2508429 tonight that get Steam running on my PC. In a few days, if all is well, I'll post them...

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 695 posts

I've got  couple of updates posted:

KB2393802 v19

kernel32.dll

WTSGetActiveConsoleSessionId

KB2508429 v11

advapi32.dll

StopTraceA
StopTraceW
UpdateTraceA
UpdateTraceW
GetInheritanceSourceA
GetLocalManagedApplicationData
QueryTraceA
QueryTraceW
RegDisablePredefinedCacheEx

RegDisablePredefinedCache upgraded to XP specs

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Hi.

It seems duplicated list "Windows2000-KB2508429", doesn't it ?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
BlackWingCat =^^=
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN