kms server woes for volume activation of Windows 7 / Office 2010. Advi

clivebuckwheat

Cluberti, a couple more questions

1. When you say the account connecting to the remote machines must have access to DCOM and WMI. Do you mean the local account on the client pc's or the account on the server?

2. The dcom service is on, on my xp clients, as well as the wmi service

3. The firewall is off on the clients trying to connect to the VAMT tool

I am still getting access denied, when I say use current credentials in the VAMT tool. Can you suggest anything else. As always thanks for everything you have been a great help to me in learning all this.

Connecting to remote WMI means you must allow remote WMI management, and the account connecting to the remote machines must have access in DCOM (dcomcnfg) and WMI (wmimgmt). Also, if the firewall is enabled, you must enable WMI traffic through the firewall as well.

post-78994-020789700 1286037488_thumb.pn

Edited by clivebuckwheat

Thank god your back. I spoke to soon, I will post where I am in the process. Maybe you can help me shed some light on my error / lack of knowledge in this kms debacle

Sorry, have been out of town and haven't been back to see your responses since my last post. Mind re-posting what you did to resovle it?

Can we backup a moment, so you can verify my progress to make sure I haven't forgotten anything that is glaring. This server is going to have a dual role has a Windows 7 and Office 2010 kms volume activation host.

For Windows 7 activation piece of kms host

1. I got a KMS key from my supervisor for Office 2010, and Windows server r2 2008. Do I also need a kms key for the windows 7 clients I want to activate?

2. I activated the kms server with the kms key for Windows 2008 r2

For Office 2010 piece of kms host

1. I installed the office 2010 volume license pack host utility from Microsoft and entered the kms key for office when it asked

2. To activate the KMS Host type "cscript slmgr.vbs /ato bfe7a195-4f8f-4f0b-a622-cf13c7d16864" (That number is the Office 2010 activation ID and is required)

3.On the client computer open an elevated command prompt and type "cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:<Hostname or IP of your KMS Host>" This will identify the KMS host to your client.

4.To activate the client manually type "cscript ospp.vbs /act" and as long as the default KMS client key is still installed this will activate your client using your KMS host. I get the message kms server doesn't meet the minimum requirements message... This is normal I am aware.

5. After step 4, on the server I type in the following command in an elevated command prompt on the server cscript slvmgr.vbs /dlv and the client requests are still at 0?. I have learned that for Office 2010 there is a minimum of 5 clients required and a minimum of 25 Windows 7 clients required. Shouldn't have the client count at least changed from 0 to 1?.

6. The installs on my master image of Office 2010 and Windows 7 have been registered using a MAK Key, so must I entered in a kms key on the clients for Office 2010, and Windows 7 for the kms server "happy"?

Is there no commands to test out on the client pc's running windows 7, is there some commands that I can type on the client pc's to ensure they are communicating with the server correctly?

• 1 year later...

Hello guys,

I've now readen the whole topic and it seems very interesting what you're doing here. Especially because we have here more or less the same situation as clivebuckwheat. also novell network. no AD, KMS, Win7, Office 2010, and so on.

First of all a very good advice in the whole KMS story is to check the event log of the server (Windows logs -> applications and service logs -> Key mangement server). There you can see when machines getting registered on your KMS server.

I found out, that the KMS GUI is not as useful as it should be.

Another good thing to check your acitvation status is the command "slmgr /dlv" (run on KMServer) you'll get a popup window with some infos in it. (here also the way to understand this information:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee939272.aspx [take a look at the explanation of the point "current count"]

In our network, we have different networks (which are all routetd). (For the swiss people in here: I'm situated in ZH, and we have branch offices at GE, LS, SG, BE) All the machines from the branch offices do activate perfectly at the KMS server, but the VAMT doesn't discover the machine. Probably because it's searching over workgroup, and that won't work over network-boarders. The other possibilities (like LDAD, AD, or manual IP-entering) won't work for me, because we have no LDAP Directory with the machines or AD, and the IP's are from a DHCP, so they will change.

How would you guys try to discover the machines in the branch offices? Do you have any good idea?

Thanks for reading! :-)

kind regeards,

Tec

PS: If I can help, ask me ;-)

Edited by tectron1