Hi

This is my first post but I’m not exactly a novice. My system details:

Dell XPS 420

Bios A03 (1/2/08)

OS Vista 32 bit

Hard Drives

0 Partition WD2500AAJS-75VWAO

1 Hitachi HDT7250Z5VLA380

I am desperate to dual boot as there are some progs which just will not work with Vista. I bought an XP installation CD (with Service Pack 3) on E Bay and tried to follow the dual boot tutorial to install XP. I shrank the Vista partition and created 10 Gb for XP using GParted but I keep getting the Stop 07B Blue screen when I boot from the XP cd.

I’ve done loads of research on the reasons for this and have tried the workarounds. My version of Bios only allows me to switch the SATA settings on and off for the HDD rather than “toggle between AHCI and IDE etc”. I’ve tried this but still get the Stop 07B message.

At the moment my problem is Stop 07B but I tried nLite as I thought it was only a matter of time before I got the "Set up cannot find and hard disk drives etc"

I then downloaded and ran nLite to create a boot disk for XP but I’m still getting the Stop 07B. I followed the process to the letter until the insert driver bit but I’m not sure if I selected the right .inf file. I assume these are the ones in the 1386 sub folder but could do with some advice on this. I’m also struggling to appreciate the process at this point. You use nLite to copy files from the XP installation CD to a folder and then you add driver files from that folder which are needed for the slip streaming etc. Probably me being dumb here.

The prog I need to run on XP is for my 8 year old son so your help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your time

Longshanks

Edited by Longshanks

Hi

Apologies but I rushed this without reading the stickies etc. The only drivers I have are those that came with the XP (Service Pack 3 included) installation CD. However,I now realise that I need to select and insert appropriate Intel SATA drivers into nLite etc and I didn't do this first time around.

My SATA chipset is ICH9R and the first sticky refers to an Intel textmode driver for 32 bit XP. Can I use integrate this into nLite or do I need something more specific from DELL?

Could I be the only XPS420 user trying to dual boot XP with Vista already installed????????

Thanks for your time.

Longshanks

Can I use integrate this into nLite ...?

Yes, you can, and with a very high success rate. And I'm thinking it's not a 078, but a 07B error message, which points exactly to the lack of / problem of SATA drivers.

Cheers

Many thanks

Sorry for the typo-yes it was 07B! I will try this procedure later but can I just clarify two related issues:

1. Am I right in thinking that my A03 bios doesn't allow changing mode from SATA to IDE etc which seems to work for just about everyone (I can switch the SATA controllers on and off for the partitions as stated in my first post but that doesn't seem to be the same and didn't help me!).

2. Shouldn't specific DELLS XP drivers be available for the XPS 420 on their site?

Thanks again

Longshanks

There are NO xp drivers made by dell for that system...

Yep I know-just my luck aint it. Can't run certain progs on Vista, purchased XP installation CD and now find it's almost impossible to dual boot XP and Vista on the XPS 420!!

Instead of complaining I'm doomed I remain positive. However, the main sticky recommends using the Intel textmode driver as my chipset is ICH9R. Are we saying that this should work even with an XPS 420?

I would also greatly appreciate some clarification on my bios query. Ie AO3 doesn't seem to give me an option to change from AHCI to IDE which works for many. I guess someone will say that this is bios is just as inflexible as the 420!!

Thanks for your time.

Longshanks

However, the main sticky recommends using the Intel textmode driver as my chipset is ICH9R. Are we saying that this should work even with an XPS 420?

NO, you are saying that :whistle:.

The only way for us to know is if you try it and report.... :angel

Try following this (I presume this is the "main" sticky you mentioned), it should work allright :), but cannot really say until you try:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=107504

As a side note, if the machine is powerful enough (as it probably is) and the program for your kid is not too demanding in terms of computing power, you can use XP in a Virtual Machine allright.

jaclaz

Yep I know-just my luck aint it. Can't run certain progs on Vista, purchased XP installation CD and now find it's almost impossible to dual boot XP and Vista on the XPS 420!!

Instead of complaining I'm doomed I remain positive. However, the main sticky recommends using the Intel textmode driver as my chipset is ICH9R. Are we saying that this should work even with an XPS 420?

I would also greatly appreciate some clarification on my bios query. Ie AO3 doesn't seem to give me an option to change from AHCI to IDE which works for many. I guess someone will say that this is bios is just as inflexible as the 420!!

Thanks for your time.

Longshanks

Longshanks, I have arrived late to this thread but have some comments. I was going to suggest your try Fernando 1's drivers which you have found. If you have problems, then you might consider posting in his thread. He is the driver expert here and can surely help you. I don't know about the other drivers you may need, but knowing your Main Board type could make it possible for you to find drivers at the MB Vendor's site. CPU-Z will tell you this and much more about your machine. Also, I would ask that you edit you first post and change the Stop code to 07B in the title and elsewhere to prevent others in the future from being misled. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Many thanks John and others.Your input is appreciated.

Brief update:

The intel text mode driver worked a treat so I was able to install XP when I included this in the nLite slipstream. Hower, I now have another serious problem. Stage 3 of the dual boot tutorial requires that I download and install Easy BCD to restore the Vista bootloader but I can't do that as XP does not have internet access. All my broadband connections and set up are with Vista!!

Is there any way I can download the prog on someone elses PC and then somehow burn to CD which I can then run on my PC?

If not can I use my Vista CD (never used this as Vista was preinstalled) to restore the bootloader?

Even if I restore Vista bootloader is it possible to use XP as well as Vista to connect to the internet? How would that be accomplished?

It's just a bit chicken and egg when the tut says "Once XP is up and running, download and install Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 and EasyBCD.."when you have no internet access!!

Finally, I tried the prog that I wanted to run on XP and got an application error. "This application failed to initiate properly, 0xc0000135 click OK to terminate the application" Does this suggest that progs won't run on XP until Vistaboot loader is restored?? (This prog was on my D Drive which is the spare HDD).

Apologies for the length of this but it's really one step forward and three steps back now!!

Many thanks again

Longshanks

If you have no internet, you probably need the drivers for your NIC card. Look in the device manager for yellow question marks (I think they are question marks. Don't recall exactly). One of them is your network hardware. If you can identify the make and model you may be able to find XP drivers as you did with your hard disk controller.

Is there any way I can download the prog on someone elses PC and then somehow burn to CD which I can then run on my PC?

Yes

If not can I use my Vista CD (never used this as Vista was preinstalled) to restore the bootloader?

More than likely you can restore the bootloader with a repair function on the DVD. I'm not familiar with Vista so someone else will have to explain how.

Finally, I tried the prog that I wanted to run on XP and got an application error. "This application failed to initiate properly, 0xc0000135 click OK to terminate the application" Does this suggest that progs won't run on XP until Vistaboot loader is restored??

Has nothing to do with the bootloader. Sounds like the program is either corrupt, needs to be installed properly or has some missing dependencies. Mind telling us what the name of the program is? We can then test it on our end.

EDIT: Here's how to fix the Vista boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Note that you will then need to add the XP partition with EasyBCD from within Vista

Edited by -X-

Many thanks for this clear and detailed response.

1. How would I get XP network drivers with no internet connection on my PC?

2. The prog is Jungleflasher. Can’t recall the version as I’m in work at the moment. I did some research and there were various links attributing this error when .Net is not installed etc. This would make sense as the tutorial refers to installing. Net 2.0 and Easy BCD from within XP. The tut link is http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm Did you suggest installing Easy BCD from Vista?

3. Can I just recap on my drive situation? Used GParted to shrink Vista partition so that I now have C Drive with Vista, D Drive with progs but no OS, E and K which is now my 10 GB XP partition.

I’m just getting confounded by the links between XP and Vista and their links to progs. I.e. Jungle flasher is on the D Drive so would I need to install any progs that I wish to run with XP on the XP partition?

Also, all other things being equal, should I be able to connect to internet without having to add additional connections, contact my ISP etc etc.

Many thanks for your interest and help.

Simon

Longshanks, you obviously have an Internet connection somewhere since you are responding here. So use that machine to DL CPU-Z (as I suggested before - Search for it) and find out all you can about your HW. You can write the program on a flash drive or CD and load it into your XP system. There are two versions of CPU-Z, one that installs and one that is simply a .exe file you run. I suggest you use the .exe file. You can do the same with the NIC driver once you identify which one to DL. Do look in the Device Manager (Right click My Computer - Manage - Device Manger) and tell us all the items that have a yellow Bang (! in yellow triangle) on them so we can suggest what next. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Please edit your first post and change the title to reflect your 07B.

Edited by johnhc

Did you suggest installing Easy BCD from Vista?

NOT ONLY EasyBCD exists. ;)

You should have some means to load something on that hard disk, like a USB stick (accessible from the booted XP) or a CD/DVD, don't you?

Can you access the partition on which you have installed Vista from the XP one, right?

If I get right your partitioning scheme you have an active, primary partition where Vista was installed ( your C:\ drive) to which, by following a tutorial (partially incorrect and actually "worsened" in the updated version):

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=4

In the previous version of this tutorial, we used the Vista DVD to restore the bootloader, and EasyBCD to set up dualbooting.

Since that tutorial was written, EasyBCD has been updated and can now restore the Vista bootloader from within the application. Also, it can be installed on Windows XP, so this means that there's no need for any more reboots or playing with recovery DVDs.

you overwrote the actual bootsector of the C:\ partition so that it now invokes NTLDR (and not anymore BOOTMGR).

Easiest would be to copy to the C:\ drive grldr from grub4dos:

http://nufans.net/grub4dos/current_release/

and add an entry to it to BOOT.INI (the boot configuration file XP's NTLDR uses):

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/install_windows.htm#windows1

In other words, you need to find a way to copy to your C:\ drive some 220 kb of data, if you can get that I will guide you to be able to boot again Vista, and from it you can run EasyBCD or even a "better" tool (not requiring .NET), a few:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7476

and a "proper" bootsector fixing tool.

jaclaz