Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What folders can safetly deleted from WIndows 7 DVD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

shon3i

shon3i
  • 4 posts
Ok i do some AIO DVD with Starter, Home Basic and Proffesional, because i have that 3 licences. I update it with hotfixes and programs for my needs. After integrating size of resulting dvd is 4.5GB which is oversized by little for DVD5. Can i delete some folder on DVD which will not affect Clean install or upgrade, like on XP can deleted everything except I386?

Thanks

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Well you can export the install.wim to compress the size and thus saving space..

shon3i

shon3i
  • 4 posts
I already use maximum compression with Gimagex. But i just need around ~70mb to fit it to DVD5. I already look to delete Support and Upgrade folders which are ~67mb.

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Remove unwanted *clg files can work (perhaps)

Edited by grabben, 27 October 2010 - 11:00 AM.

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
You can delete the \support & \upgrade folders and setup.exe & autorun.inf from the dvd root, also you can delete ALL the files in the \sources folder EXEPT: boot.wim, install.wim, *.clg (of what versions you still have in install.wim) and setup.exe (its REALLY IMPORTANT that you keep setup.exe in the \sources folder, you dont need the one on the dvd root)

Edited by ricktendo64, 27 October 2010 - 12:10 PM.

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
So delete everything but

Boot.wim
Install.wim
Sources\Setup.exe
*.clg for your versions.

great!

shon3i

shon3i
  • 4 posts
Wow. This is amazing :)

Thanks so Much :)

btw about *.clg, what if i have both versions (x86, x64) same edition for example Professional?

@grabben, as i understood, ricktendo64, you need to aslo keep Boot and Efi folders on root.

Edited by shon3i, 27 October 2010 - 12:38 PM.

ricktendo

ricktendo

• 2,306 posts
Yes, keep boot and efi...you can put the x86 and x64 .clg files in sources with no problemo, they should be able to coexist because they have the same name as the image in install.wim, that is if you did the right thing renamed your images to add x64 to the name when you exported them

Go ahead and create new .clg files after you integrate stuff...for this you need to use WSIM

BTW I think you can also delete the .clg files (IDK I dont personally)

Edited by ricktendo64, 28 October 2010 - 08:55 AM.

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Wow. This is amazing :)

Thanks so Much :)

btw about *.clg, what if i have both versions (x86, x64) same edition for example Professional?

@grabben, as i understood, ricktendo64, you need to aslo keep Boot and Efi folders on root.

Uhm yea if you want your dvd to boot at all theyre needed :P

shon3i

shon3i
  • 4 posts
Thanks again :)

BTW I think you can also delete the .clg files (IDK I dont personally)

i tryed with deleted files, and seem that everything working fine (all editions are installed fine), but still, i want to be sure what is behind this catalog files and i read that contain some informations, and ways of accessing to wim (admin rights, etc.) and i don't know how is important to installation. Anyway in same document i read that if wim modified (which is my case) all clg need to be recreated via WSIM as you mentioned.

Edited by shon3i, 28 October 2010 - 09:58 AM.

ricktendo

ricktendo

• 2,306 posts
AFAIK they are used by WSIM to tell what packages/updates are integrated in the image and what you can turn on/off with your autounattend.xml, not sure what else they are used for

Gremo

Gremo

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
Deleting method posted by ricktendo64 doesn not work when install.wim contains more than one edition. Tested in a VM.

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Deleting method posted by ricktendo64 doesn not work when install.wim contains more than one edition. Tested in a VM.

Deleting what from sources folder?
Everything? clg files?

ricktendo

ricktendo

• 2,306 posts
Are you keeping setup.exe in \sources?

myselfidem

myselfidem

• 2,559 posts
That's odd, but I see if I delete the program setup.exe inside the folder location where I copy my Windows 7 the program setup.exe is also deleted inside "sources" (because there is two programs setup.exe)!
Maybe it's needed to keep the two programs setup.exe?
How it's possible to prevent that?

Edited by myselfidem, 29 November 2010 - 01:19 PM.

For Windows 7 OS: SetProductKey.rar (fr-FR/en-US. Integrate keys).

Gremo

Gremo

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Deleting what from sources folder?
Everything? clg files?

That was my bad, sorry everything works fine (sources boot.wim, install.wim, *.clg, setup.exe , boot, efi). It was not working because:

I think i've found a bug of windows 7 dvd setup: I don't know if depends on localization,but adding a folder called "Extra" in the main root will result in an error during setup (some files are not found on the dvd...). I solved renaming that folder. :)

grabben

grabben

-Grabben

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
What? Really? :P

Hm so

DVD\
*Boot\
*EFI\

Sources\*.clg
*Install.wim
*Boot.wim
*Setup.exe

should be kept but everything else can be deleted?

CtrlSoft

CtrlSoft
  • 5 posts
Hi

I'm going to leave the possibility of renewal, but I want to save disk space. I want to know whether need upgrade\netfx for upgrade or full installation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN