VPS 2003 / PHP / Apache 2.2.x / MySQL Temp Freezes Up
Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:51 PM
I have a VPS that is with a cheaper hosting package, it has low RAM (less than 1GB). The services that it is running provide me with a website, and this site operates on MySQL, PHP, and the latest edition of Apache. The server itself is Windows 2003 SP2. At any given time I am only using around 230mb's +-50mb's at a time. But always under 300mbs so no where near maxed out.
The problem that I am having is about every 5 mins, for 30 seconds, the server will become very very slow to respond to http request say if someone was trying to visit a web page on my website, or, will become unresponsive when i am remote logged into the server.
Now I have watched the task manager to view the RAM/CPU usage to see if it does spike during this event, but it does not. I have checked the event log for applications, systems, and security, with nothing major in there.
Where I am at now is basically stuck. I don't know if maybe since this is a VPS, there might be other servers running on the server that I have just on another partition, and maybe they are slowing down my service indirectly? Or is there something going on in the background that I am unaware of?
This can happen every 5 mins for 30 seconds, or it can go 12 hours and not happen. But when it does the systems is very slow to respond, but the CPU/RAM/Error Logs in the Management Console shows nothing going wrong.
What am I missing here? DoS/DDoS maybe? Or this doesn't quite fit the description of the problem?
ANY suggestions or help is greatly greatly appreciated!
Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:54 PM
Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:35 AM
At this time in the perfmon everything seems normal until the temp freeze happens again. In the monitor I am watching the processes cpu time, and you can seem slight ups and downs as users of the website are viewing/surfing pages.
Although when the freeze happens, the perfmon completely quits recording information as seen below.
Graph When Freezing
This is just what I was watching at the time when I took the screen shots, but it would still have gaps in the graph when you were viewing something else as well. I did run back through the event viewer and received these errors when I launched perfmon for the first time, but it is a non repeating error since I tried to make it occur again 30 mins later.
"WINS Performance Monitor Counters could not get the WINS statistics."
"Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. The error code returned is in the first DWORD in the Data section."
But I believe those error are not directly related to the problem. Just errors that occurred when I launched perfmon.
Since the website isn't a must be up 24/7, i might could afford 2 hours of complete downtime late one night and just reimage it, import the db, and install the other apps, but I guess thats a last resort lol.
Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:38 PM
Despite my server hosting company saying it was not the VPS, in fact when they moved my node over to another server my VPS began working great. No issues yet (as of a few weeks).
So similar issues could possibly be resolved this same way.