Auto-Patcher_for_Win98se_June2007sp2_Full.exe

rodalsa

I have the Topic file "Auto-Patcher_for_Win98se_June2007sp2_Full.exe" in my downloads folder at 281,759KB Modified 9/7/07 2:49 AM. I have some questions pending relative to this file if this group is responsible for the creation of the file.

If you are not the creators of the file, can you direct me to those programmers that are the creators?

If you are the creators of the file, please respond, "Yes, we are" and I will proceed with my questions.

Rod

For me to believe is insufficient for you to know. -- rodalsa

yes we are...

I carefully reinstalled Win98se on my desk top computer and then installed my external hardware programs. After completing this I ran the subject auto patcher fully automatic until it finished. I then found out that my HP Officejet 6310 All-In-One printer no longer functioned.

I tried leaving the printer installation until after the auto patch process was completed. I failed to obtain a satisfactory result. So I dropped the use of the auto patching process.

I seriously like the concept and would like to use it on both of my systems but am unable to do so.

Has this issue been dealt with in the current versions of the program?

Here are some excerpts from my log files that relate to this issue.

09/07/07 2:06 AM I am downloading a file named;

Auto-PatcherforWin98seJune2007sp2Full.exe to

E:\Desktop Maintanence Files\Utilities\

Comment 11/09/10 based on log files: --- I attempted to install and run the program on Desktop on 11/22/07 11:46 hr.

The following log entry was generated while planning for a later install of Windows 98se.

08/13/10 5:30 AM

Windows 98se

NOTE: See a Fresh Install Windows 98se 03_01_08.doc for some guidance here.

NOTE: I have a Windows 98se update program that installs all of Microsoft’s updates and many

others.

See a Win98se Auto-patcher June 2007

However I have discovered that when I use this program the HP printer

installation is clobbered IF it is already installed when this program runs. Perhaps IF I

run this program first and then install the HP printer this will not happen.

I had given up on the use of the Auto-Patcher until I happened upon your web site last week. This message is a revived attempt at using the program.

Thanks

Rod

Edited by rodalsa

What happens when you reinstall your printer a second time?

If you downloaded the autopatcher from there, then yes it's "our".

And since the last update on the update is from december 2008, you may want to have a look at this:

http://www.htasoft.com/w98se_post_usp4.php

or this:

http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

Edited by Fredledingue

What happens when you reinstall your printer a second time?

If you downloaded the autopatcher from there, then yes it's "our".

And since the last update on the update is from december 2008, you may want to have a look at this:

http://www.htasoft.com/w98se_post_usp4.php

or this:

http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php

I attempted to install after autopatching (as best I remember). That failed also or logically I would not be writing this email.

I do not remember from where the program was downloaded.

I have two installations of Win98se. One is on my desk top computer. The other is on my dual boot (Win98 & XP home) notebook. The HP printer software refuses to install on any version of XP that calls itself a service pack. As I remember it Win98se had to be installed on the notebook before installing XP in order to achieve functionality with XOSL (the boot manager). Struggling with the combinations involved here consumed enormous amounts of time and it is possible that I gave up just before I landed on the one that would be successful.

I am currently trying solve an intermittant slowing down of Win98se (whch is active right now) on the desk top computer. I also have been plagued with multiple instances of msgsrv32(Not responding). I am doing this by ---

1) Attempting to remove all malware

2) Attempting to insure that I am virus free

3) Under and after completion of 1) & 2) uninstalling little used programs one by one until my problems disappear. This hopefully will identify the source of the problems.

Obviously every time I take an excursion on the internet I have to repeat 1) & 2) :(

I was able to reduce the frequency of msgsrv32(Not responding) by defragging the C: drive. This did not eliminate the problem.

Dual boot on the notebook is currently broken. XP is all I can access.

This is the context in which I began to look again at the autopatching route. My query here is in preparation for the likelihood that I will have to do a fresh install of Win98 later.

My question again is, Has whatever breaks HP's HP Officejet 6310 All-In-One software during the install of AutoPatcher been corrected? If my inquiry about this issue is the first one to your knowledge or it is known but unresolved , I can work with you -- over the winter only -- to try to fix the problem by being your testing lab.

Thanks for the additional sources.

Rod

Every concept spoken/heard, written/read, photoed/seen passes through one man's mind. Frightening isn't it! -- rodalsa

Edited by rodalsa

If you didn't see any mention of printer installation issues with Auto-Patcher in the Auto-Patcher's discussion, then odds are high that you are the first with this very specific problem.

As I understand you have issues with the HP Officejet printer on other platforms such as XP SP1, 2 and 3. So it's maybe not a problem with Auto-Patcher but with one patch or update common to XP and W98SE.

The only way to find which patch is the culprit is to install all the patches one by one, but it would be a debilitating job to do so.

My suggestion is to uninstall what Auto-Patcher installed, or better yet, reinstall windows over (which is similar to overwrite windows files), and use another updater/service pack (like the uSP3) and see if you have the same problem.

(don't forget to test your printer and its installation before on a fresh windows install to make sure it's not the installation CD in fault).

One question: Do you think the msgsrv32(Not responding) issue is related to the HP printer issue?

In this case replacing msgsrv32.dll with an earlier version may solve you problem.

HTH

If you didn't see any mention of printer installation issues with Auto-Patcher in the Auto-Patcher's discussion, then odds are high that you are the first with this very specific problem.

As I understand you have issues with the HP Officejet printer on other platforms such as XP SP1, 2 and 3. So it's maybe not a problem with Auto-Patcher but with one patch or update common to XP and W98SE.

The only way to find which patch is the culprit is to install all the patches one by one, but it would be a debilitating job to do so.

My suggestion is to uninstall what Auto-Patcher installed, or better yet, reinstall windows over (which is similar to overwrite windows files), and use another updater/service pack (like the uSP3) and see if you have the same problem.

(don't forget to test your printer and its installation before on a fresh windows install to make sure it's not the installation CD in fault).

One question: Do you think the msgsrv32(Not responding) issue is related to the HP printer issue?

In this case replacing msgsrv32.dll with an earlier version may solve you problem.

HTH

Well, I'm having too much trouble with my OS. So I am going to do a fresh install using the following sequence--

1. Obtain the latest releases of all pertinent software.

2. Install Win98se to the C: drive.

3. Using Drive Image's diskette, Image the C: drive.

4. Install InCtrl5 to the C: drive. Use this program to record all subsequent installations. Detailed records of the changes made to the system result.

5. Using Drive Image's diskette, Image the C: drive.

6. Install Drive Image the the C: drive under InCtrl5's watchful eye.

7. Launch Drive Image. Image the C: drive.

8. Install Auto-Patcher to the C: drive under Inctrl5's watchful eye.

9. Launch Drive Image. Image the C: drive.

10. Launch Auto-Patcher under InCtrl5's watchful eye.

11. Launch Drive Image. Image the C: drive.

12. Install the Hp Officejet 6310 All-in_One printer to the C: drive under InCtrl5's watchful eye.

13. Test the functionality of the printer using Notepad.

Failing this test repeat the above steps with the steps following step 7 replaced with ---

8. Install the Hp Officejet 6310 All-in-One printer to the C: drive under InCtrl5's watchful eye.

9. Test the functionality of the printer using Notepad. It has always passed this test. So assuming that it will do so again---

10. Launch Drive Image. Image the C: drive.

11. Launch Auto-Patcher under InCtrl5's watchful eye.

12. Test the functionality of the printer using Notepad.

Failing these two permutations, is there a way to divide and conquer the Auto-Patcher problem by binary division of the run-time package?

Failing all of this, repeat the above two sequences using the patching program suggested [uSP3] in place of Auto-Patcher. Other suggestions anyone?

I have considered that my msgsrv32(Not responding) may be related to the HP printer installation. I have rejected this based on my logs. The first instance of this error message in my logs appeared after I installed CD Library from Dacal. It has just gotten worse over time.

As you can see from the sequences listed, this will take a while. "I'll be back" especially if you "Make my day."

Rod

For me to believe is insufficient for you to know. --- rodalsa

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I thought that I would drop in and update my progress.

I am close to being able to format and install.... BUT ... in the process of making sure that I had all of the most recent versions of my drivers and programs, I discovered that my anti-virus (ESET @ $ /yr) was not going to license their 98se verison after March 2011 and would no longer issue database updates after sometime in 2012. Of the top ten or so leaders in the anti-virus business it looks like none of them are going to be there after 2012.

So I'm back to options...

1) Move 98se off of the internet.

2) Move to a modern multi-core 64 bit system with Windows 7 Professional running 98 in emulation mode.

and after some web search

3) Run KernelEx v 4.5 RC 5 under 98se and use the anti-virus programs that still support XP. KernelEx allows 98se to run XP programs.

Option 3) is just delaying the same rock & hard place I'm in with 98se. KernelEx is iffy due to its youth.

Option 2) after some research is iffy. It looks like its a 50/50 probability that the emulation is seamless and that based only on XP reports. I am pretty much on my own with 98se.

Option 1) coupled with option 2) sans the running in the emulation mode is looking better to me. I just have to find room for three computing systems in my study(actually four since I have one that goes back even further in time that I use with a data acquisition card).

I'm still on course for working the the auto patching program and my HP printer ... and as of today ... IF I can get it working reliably ... period. Recently I am having trouble accessing it from the desk top computer (98se) and my notebook ( XP home).

"I've got heartaches by the numbers, troubles by the score...."

Have a happy holiday and exercise moderation...

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Your 6310 scanner/printer has a USB interface, I believe.

Reading the Auto-Patcher thread, this installs Maximus-Decim's NUSB driver for USB, so perhaps this is what apparently breaks your printer installation. I found a reference to a similar (?) printer/scanner problem early in the AP thread at

I'll leave it as an exercise for you to follow the thread and see if a resolution or work-around was mentioned for this (I've added a highlight of the string 'print' in the above link, to make this easier for you).

Skimming towards the end of the AP thread, this seems to come in two parts, a 2007 release and a 2008 update. Have you applied the update (and retried the AP install)?

Finally, you might request a moderator merge this thread with the AP thread, that would more readily attract the attention of those people more involved with the AP project.

Joe.

PS. The 2007 release I refer to is December 2007, not June 2007.

PPS. KernelEx rocks!

Edited by jds

• 4 weeks later...

Your 6310 scanner/printer has a USB interface, I believe.

My 6310 is connected via Ethernet. It does have a USB port but it is unused.

Reading the Auto-Patcher thread, this installs Maximus-Decim's NUSB driver for USB, so perhaps this is what apparently breaks your printer installation. I found a reference to a similar (?) printer/scanner problem early in the AP thread at

I'll leave it as an exercise for you to follow the thread and see if a resolution or work-around was mentioned for this (I've added a highlight of the string 'print' in the above link, to make this easier for you).

I will see what I think about your link. Thanks.

Skimming towards the end of the AP thread, this seems to come in two parts, a 2007 release and a 2008 update. Have you applied the update (and retried the AP install)?

Finally, you might request a moderator merge this thread with the AP thread, that would more readily attract the attention of those people more involved with the AP project.

Joe.

PS. The 2007 release I refer to is December 2007, not June 2007.

PPS. KernelEx rocks!

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the kudos you give KernelEx.

Todate I have not done much with Autopatcher. I launched my first approach to the problem as stated in this thread. When I arrived at installing my ESET NOD32 antivirus I hit a brick wall. The virus updates would not download. Nothing I or ESET could do would fix that. So I returned to an earlier image in which NOD32 was fully functional. This of course again exposed me to whatever malware that existed on that image. I made an attempt with the help of MajorGeeks to eliminate any malware. The absence of any 98se compatible anti-malware software required this. During this operation I was plagued with msgsrv32(Not responding) events and slow response to keyboard and mouse commands.

All of this has consumed considerable time. The computer was not available for its normal useage. I became and still am backed up with 'normal' stuff. I finally achieved the glorious position of having several hours to days without msgsrv32 gumming up the works. So I am spending my time now clawing my way out from under the pile of 'normal's stuff. Once I get out from under, I'll try as I promised to see what Autopatcher might do.

I have both the 2007 and 2008 files and will use them when the time comes. Til then...

Rod

For me to believe is insufficient for you to know.

-rodalsa-

Good morning,

Since I mentioned the msgsrv32(Not responding) problem it escalated. That launched an intense look into it that resulted in my finding a solution for it.

I have not been bothered with the msgsrv32(Not responding) message since 02/01/11 7:47 PM -- and that with heavy use of my computer utilizing typical program usage and the test sequence of program operations that I finally found would reliably trigger the fault. It is now 02/04/11 7:43 AM.

How did I do it?

I cleaned out all of the Win 98se components except the following...

ACCESSORIES

Calculator

Imaging

Paint

WordPad

MULTIMEDIA

Audio Compression

CD Player

Macromedia Shockwave

Macromedia Shockwave Flash

Sound Recorder

Video Compression

Volume Control

SYSTEM TOOLS

Character Map

Immediately my test sequence was clear of all problems for four iterations. Prior to the clean out every use of the sequence bombed.

I removed in excess of 14 components during this operation. I will not list them here. I also will not attempt to define exactly which one of or combination of them produced the problem. <-- enough is enough!

Night has turned into day!

I will search the msfn site for references to msgsrv32(Not responding) and if found I will add the above solution there. I have done extensive searches (with the help of others) for solutions to the problem. I found many suggestions with few claims to actual solutions for the problem. I tried them all to no avail. The above reported solution is unique as far as I can tell.

If the moderator for this subject area believes that this thread should be moved elsewhere, please do so. I can find my way back to it.

Rod

For me to believe is insufficient for you to know.

-rodalsa-