Office 2007 Silent Install makes "Nul" error

I don't know exactly whether it is a bug or not.

As I said HERE

At last I knew that Office 2007 Silent Install makes 'Null' is null or not an object Error.

But when I install Office 2007 Silent Install in a separate installation process after or before my other programs, then there is no error.

I don't know what the reason is and how I can solve this problem.

Is it really a bug or something else causes the error?

Edited by ghaffar

Office has always been a problem for WPI. It is something in the Office installer. It must use something in the Internet Explorer "core" that interferes with WPI's use of mshta.exe. That is why the launcher (wpi.exe) was made: to alter some reg keys for IE and use the proper x86/x64 version.

When the Office installer is nearing completion it does something that "confuses" the mshta. I am beginning to think that it "refreshes" the hta like IE does for a web site. The script is restarted, making it use the defaults, not what you originally specified.

You probably have seen the desktop refresh during some programs' installation. The icons go blank, the screen flashes, the icons slowly redraw. It does it again. The desktop is iexplore.exe. Parts of which are in Internet Explorer. Parts of which are in MSHTA.exe. Link them together and one can/will affect the other, intentionally or not.

There is no cure for it. It's Microsoft Herpes.

(I just made that up.....sounds like a new t-shirt to make my million dollars).

Office has always been a problem for WPI. It is something in the Office installer. It must use something in the Internet Explorer "core" that interferes with WPI's use of mshta.exe. That is why the launcher (wpi.exe) was made: to alter some reg keys for IE and use the proper x86/x64 version.

When the Office installer is nearing completion it does something that "confuses" the mshta. I am beginning to think that it "refreshes" the hta like IE does for a web site. The script is restarted, making it use the defaults, not what you originally specified.

You probably have seen the desktop refresh during some programs' installation. The icons go blank, the screen flashes, the icons slowly redraw. It does it again. The desktop is iexplore.exe. Parts of which are in Internet Explorer. Parts of which are in MSHTA.exe. Link them together and one can/will affect the other, intentionally or not.

There is no cure for it. It's Microsoft Herpes.

(I just made that up.....sounds like a new t-shirt to make my million dollars).

Thank you very much "mritter" for your nice and complete explanation and cause of the error.

P.S: I didn't have this error and everything was OK before using WPI 8.0.3.

When I use WPI 8.1.0 and install Office 2007 on my unattended Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 (or on my Windows 7 x86 silent install), I have no problem and all is fine!

No error messages and return code with WPI.log = 0

Cheers

*Edit: Office 2007 Standard Edition with SP2 and some updates integrated (inside folder Updates).

Edited by myselfidem

I found the issue on my end:

When installing office 2007 I had other installations in the same cmd sequence (cmd1, cmd2, cmd3) and so on. When it went to get the next one in line it would error out.

I solved it by breaking chit up.

Now I install only office 2007 ultimate and its updates (in the updates folder) on 1 command and then other stuff on a totally new entry