Is Memory Faults Causing Lagginess?

jiewmeng

I find that I am experiencing lagginess on my laptop, relatively old: C2D T9300, 4GB DDR2, 1280MB GeForce 8600MGT

Is high memory faults the cause?

gapSQ.jpg

Sometimes, the faults are "maxed" out near 100/sec throughout that chart. What are memory faults?

The chipset is Intel PM965. I am dl-ing the Intel INF now. I read tho that Intel INF is not required on Windows Vista and above I guess thats not true? Also, will disabling Page Files, forcing the use of RAM instead be a good idea? I read on Windows 7 Forums that its not a good idea?

The chipset is Intel PM965. I am dl-ing the Intel INF now. I read tho that Intel INF is not required on Windows Vista and above I guess thats not true? Also, will disabling Page Files, forcing the use of RAM instead be a good idea? I read on Windows 7 Forums that its not a good idea?

I've my "Page File" set to 64MB or so, but some programs could complain about it but to tell you the truth I've no problems so far. I use 8GB in my system so it also depends on what you run on that PC.

I'm moving this topic to the windows 7 section as it's not much of an hardware problem ;).

For what it's worth, hard faults happen all of the time, and are nothing to be worried about at such small numbers (trust me, a few hundred at a time are nothing). Laggy behavior on a machine is usually I/O or CPU bound, as those are the resources on a system that are the slowest. Assuming your CPU cores are not maxed out during the time of lag, the next best place to look is I/O, specifically disk I/O (not memory). Also, a good thing to do is run process monitor when the system is working properly to get an idea of what "good" looks like, and then again when the system is lagging and performing otherwise slowly, to see if there is anything repetitive or different that would be obvious (it's the best place to start). After that, you have to start looking at what you are doing when the laptop is slow, and see if there's any specific things that are slow, specific workflows you do, etc. Once you've got that, you can start using perfmon or xperf to see *exactly* what the system is up to.

• 2 weeks later...

you should install the WPT, run processmonitor and run those xperf commands:

xperf.exe -on -f kernel.etl
xperf.exe -start UserTrace -on Microsoft-Windows-Win32k -f user.etl

Now do you slow operations and run this:

xperf.exe -stop UserTrace
xperf.exe -stop
xperf -merge user.etl kernel.etl slow.etl

now stop the processmonitor trace and zip all data and share them to us.

Edited by MagicAndre1981