Seagate ES.2 750Gb failure

Hi Guys,

I have a Seagate ES.2 750Gb SATA drive that has just failed. I get a clicking noise from it and it doesn't show up on the bios.

Do you think the BSY fix wll resolve my issue?

Model - ST3750330NS

Firmware listed on the drive label - SN05

Any help will be really great.

Cheers

John.

I have a Seagate ES.2 750Gb SATA drive that has just failed. I get a clicking noise from it and it doesn't show up on the bios.

Do you think the BSY fix wll resolve my issue?

NO. :(

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz,

Any idea on how I can get access to my data. I should have also said it was a Seagate Barracuda ES.2

Cheers

John.

Any idea on how I can get access to my data. I should have also said it was a Seagate Barracuda ES.2

The clicking noise should mean that the drive is dead.

You may try the given BSY and LBA0 fix, in the hope that being substantially a "reset" of the disk, they help, but I doubt it.

To repair a "simple" click problem you need specific tools (around US $ 3.000 lat time I checked) and quite a bit of knowledge (at least a couple courses to use the tools) .

If it cannot be resolved WITHOUT opening the disk, you need several more thousands bucks of tools and a several years knowledge and practice (which definitely you cannot "buy" or get in a small time)

Clicking noise can be due to almost *anything*.

The good news are that attempting the BSY "fix" won't probably do any further damage, the bad news are that if there is a mechanical problem and the heads are actually hitting a platter, every second the drive is ON a little bit of data may be lost forever.

jaclaz

The clicking noise should mean that the drive is dead.

You may try the given BSY and LBA0 fix, in the hope that being substantially a "reset" of the disk, they help, but I doubt it.

To repair a "simple" click problem you need specific tools (around US $ 3.000 lat time I checked) and quite a bit of knowledge (at least a couple courses to use the tools) .

If it cannot be resolved WITHOUT opening the disk, you need several more thousands bucks of tools and a several years knowledge and practice (which definitely you cannot "buy" or get in a small time)

Clicking noise can be due to almost *anything*.

The good news are that attempting the BSY "fix" won't probably do any further damage, the bad news are that if there is a mechanical problem and the heads are actually hitting a platter, every second the drive is ON a little bit of data may be lost forever.

jaclaz

So basically I am stuffed, do you know if the freeze trick would help enoght to get my data back?

John.

If you want to try the BSY Fix, just remember to try the right method for ES.2 and NOT the one for the 7200.11.

Hi BlouBul,

Thanks for getting back to me, I take it I need to follow part of the 7200.11 method in order to get the hyper terminal connection to the drive?

Also with what jaclaz said about the clicking noise do you think it is worthwhile me trying the BSY method? I am not saying jaclaz is wrong far from it I just want to see if it is worth spending money on a drive that just maybe dead?

Also are there any other methods I can try to get my data back without having to send it to data recovery people?

I appreaciate you guys getting back to me.

Cheers

John

Also with what jaclaz said about the clicking noise do you think it is worthwhile me trying the BSY method? I am not saying jaclaz is wrong far from it I just want to see if it is worth spending money on a drive that just maybe dead?

Also are there any other methods I can try to get my data back without having to send it to data recovery people?

I appreaciate you guys getting back to me.

jaclaz is the resident expert on hdd's so I will go with his recommendation. He said their is a small chance that the reset might work, so it might be worth a try (especially if you do not plan to send it for data-recovering).

Then you've got nothing to lose (except maybe 10 bucks for the converter and a bit of time).

Is it a loud clicking sound (as if something internally is breaking) then I don't think it will work. If it is just a soft click, it might work and will be worth a try.

Yes. :yes: You basic follow the same converter set-up as with the 7200.11, but then follow the method linked to earlier from there on. Make VERY sure you correctly identify the points.

No. :no: There are no other methods I know of. (even this one might not work if your problem is something else.)

Just for the record, things like the "freeze" trick and the "knock on hard disk" one are MOSTLY legends.

The MOSTLY means NOT that they are completely void of any validity, but they are VERY unlike to be of ANY use.

The mistake many people do is to assume that a miracle-cure-for-all-diseases exists.

The cure should be targeted to the disease.

Aspirin is very good cure for flu, it isn't for lung cancer, unfortunately.

A clicking sound could be due to a number of reasons.

IF the clicking is due to a miscalibration, THEN IF the miscalibration is due to permanent mechanical misalignment THEN IF the particular hard disk model uses a "pattern" on a platter to re-calibrate, THEN IF the misalignment is so small that it is within the VERY SMALL thermal contraction effects THEN IF the other board components can bear a very low temperature THEN IF you have the capability to freeze PROPERLY (WITHOUT creating humidity/dump to the circuits) THEN IF you are lucky, you may be able to revive the drive for a very short period (minutes) at each freezing cycle, with anyway a decreasing probability of success after each cycle which is of great stress for the components.

If you assume that you have a 50% chance of success at each IF above, and another 50% for the "may" you will have a reasonable approximation of chances of success at 0.78% (for the first cycle) you should get an idea of the practical usefulness of this approach.

Of course, if you have NOTHING to loose, it is as good an attempt as any other, you may be lucky and win the lottery ticket, after all. :unsure:

jaclaz

Just for the record, things like the "freeze" trick and the "knock on hard disk" one are MOSTLY legends.

The MOSTLY means NOT that they are completely void of any validity, but they are VERY unlike to be of ANY use.

The mistake many people do is to assume that a miracle-cure-for-all-diseases exists.

The cure should be targeted to the disease.

Aspirin is very good cure for flu, it isn't for lung cancer, unfortunately.

A clicking sound could be due to a number of reasons.

IF the clicking is due to a miscalibration, THEN IF the miscalibration is due to permanent mechanical misalignment THEN IF the particular hard disk model uses a "pattern" on a platter to re-calibrate, THEN IF the misalignment is so small that it is within the VERY SMALL thermal contraction effects THEN IF the other board components can bear a very low temperature THEN IF you have the capability to freeze PROPERLY (WITHOUT creating humidity/dump to the circuits) THEN IF you are lucky, you may be able to revive the drive for a very short period (minutes) at each freezing cycle, with anyway a decreasing probability of success after each cycle which is of great stress for the components.

If you assume that you have a 50% chance of success at each IF above, and another 50% for the "may" you will have a reasonable approximation of chances of success at 0.78% (for the first cycle) you should get an idea of the practical usefulness of this approach.

Of course, if you have NOTHING to loose, it is as good an attempt as any other, you may be lucky and win the lottery ticket, after all. :unsure:

jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I am at the stage where I am clutching at straws and just didn't want to face facts that my data has gone. I don't have the money to pay the data recovery guys so I guess trying the BSY maybe worth a go but my feeling is because of the clicking noise that I don't really stand a chance of getting my data back.

Cheers again and sorry if I sounded desperate.

John.