SBS 2003 Premium DVD image

redmtnex

OK I am tearing my hair out.

I am trying to install SBS 2003 (no service pack 2) premium via a DVD disk on a Dell PowerEdge T110 with raid1.

Any attempt to use my disc results in a hang at starting windows during the install process due to the fact that my discs do not have service pack2 and Dell says it needs svc pk 2 in order to install. So here I am. The DVD disc has cd1 through 4 integrated into the disc and install procedure. I do have another set which are the individual cd's.

Dell supplies an os install disc which preloads the os and drivers onto the drive and using cd1, slipstreaming svpac2 into it then using the dell install works but it ends up just setting up a basic os with no active directory stuff etc.

As a note the dell install disk will not allow me to install the dvd, I have to choose a cd to use it.

It looks like what I really need to do is create a bootable DVD with srvpk2 and all the drivers needed sliped in.

I might also add that sbs 2003 is new to me and so setting it all up manually is not possible right now. I need to do it with the dvd but of course no svcpk2.

I think I can slipstream the drivers and svcpk2 no problem its creating a bootable dvd thats the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Dell steered me here to use Nlite

PS: Dell steered me here to use Nlite

That's interesting that Dell would send you (a home user) to here (MSFN) to install your OS (which comes with a 1k per lic/cal price tag) to use nLite (a non-commercial product).

In any event SBS Premium 2003 does indeed come on 4 CDs (there's actually more) but I am pretty certain that discs 3 and 4 (and 5 and the Outlook CD, etc) are not required for install. In any case, I know many have had problems combining multi-disc OS installs because at the end of "Disc 1" the install will prompt you to insert "Disc 2" which actually doesn't exist anymore.

In the end, if you are using this in your company, be it commercial, government or education sector, you can't use nLite. Its license agreement strictly forbids it.

So that being said, why do you need to combine these discs? Is there a specific reason?

That's interesting that Dell would send you (a home user) to here (MSFN) to install your OS (which comes with a 1k per lic/cal price tag) to use nLite (a non-commercial product).

...a very rich home user ... ? :angel

:lol:

But what would be the use of nlite?

For the simple slipstreaming? :unsure:

jaclaz

In 2003 Microsoft sent me two copies of SBS 2003 premium. One version a DVD the other several CD's. Neither have service pack 1 or 2. Needless to say they have been sitting on my shelf since 2003 until last week when we needed to set up a server for one of our motels, the company supplying the PMS is requiring (so I thought) SBS Server 2003. As I just found out due to some communications break downs they actually want server 2003. So basically this is all a Moog point. Anyhow Dell sent me to NLite in order to slipstream Service Pack 2 into my non service pack discs because the Poweredge T110 just hangs on OS install without SP2.

My reasons for wanting to slipstream SP2 into the DVD was because the DVD auto set up everything I thought I needed to set up as where the individual CD version did not. I am a 2003 ignoramus. I presently do not have the time to jump through hoops of fire. My copies od SBS 2003 Premium are going back on the shelf to once again collect dust and I hope to never open their cases again.

Thanks for the help.