Installing / running Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

I don't run Visual Studio 6 myself, but I know some developers that do, and they tell me that it either doesn't install or it doesn't run properly under Windows 7. They indicate the problem seems to be with the Visual Basic component. They resort to running VS6 in a virtual XP machine.

I was wondering if there are any tweaks or mods that can be done to remedy this issue.

Or should I ask this question in the Windows 7 forum?

I'm running VS6 on W7. It doesn't install out of the box, but the work around is quite easy. The problem is that the installer needs Java, but the Java installer on the CD fails. To work around install the Sun Java VM (I suppose it's the Oracle Java VM now). Copy the contents of the CD to the harddisk. There is a .ini file in the root, edit this to point to the JVM instead of the MS one. Now you can install.

The only incompatitibility I've found so far is that it is impossible to start a remote debug session on another W7 system. Older Windows systems (including NT3.51 and W95) work fine. (Didn't try Vista though).

I only use C++, by the way.

Edit: I had to reinstall, and wrote down what I did to get VS6 installed:

Copy the contents of CD1 to harddisk.

Install the Sun Java VM (Well Oracle now)

Edit the file Setupwiz.ini, and change the line

VmPath=ie4\msjavx86.exe

to (in my case)

VmPath="C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe"

Then run setup.exe.

Edited by Mijzelf

• 2 years later...

I know it's been a while since anyone has posted in this forum, but I'm going through this now. I could not get setup.exe to work. I finally figured out that by copying KEY.DAT from the installation CD to the hard drive renaming it KEY.Reg and double-clicking (putting info in registry) it that I could run ACMBOOT.EXE to get Visual Studio to install. Don't know whether it matters or not, but I made a zero byte file named msjava.dll in the Windows folder before doing anything else.

Figured I'd post here in case anyone else would find this useful.