Incorrect response to double-click file

Archdeacon

XP SP3.

When I double-click an MHTML file in Windows Explorer I am now getting this file opened in Notepad instead of Internet Explorer!

I have checked Tools >Folder Options >File Types and Internet Explorer is listed as the correct program, so why does Notepad open?

Which is the Registry key to check this please?

XP SP3.

When I double-click an MHTML file in Windows Explorer I am now getting this file opened in Notepad instead of Internet Explorer!

I have checked Tools >Folder Options >File Types and Internet Explorer is listed as the correct program, so why does Notepad open?

Which is the Registry key to check this please?

Maybe easier ;):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wstudios/Associate/index.html

What happens if INSTEAD of double clicking you right click on the file ?

(it is possible that besides the "association", the "default action for the MHTML type of file has become "Edit" or anyway some action different from "Open with", that triggers Notepad instead of IE) :unsure:

jaclaz.

Edited by jaclaz

If i Right-Click then the correct menu appears and clicking the Internet Explorer link works; but I would still like to know how to reset the Default setting, as doing it manually (via Folder Options, etc) obviously does not work.

Edited by Archdeacon

• 2 weeks later...

If i Right-Click then the correct menu appears and clicking the Internet Explorer link works; but I would still like to know how to reset the Default setting, as doing it manually (via Folder Options, etc) obviously does not work.

No don't click on the IE icon on the menu that opens when you right click/open with. At the bottom of that menu there is an option Choose program. Click on that. A second window opens. Select IE there and check the box at the bottom of that window 'always use....' then click OK